My Meatless May (MMM)

MyPureSteez
MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
I've be playing around with with the idea of going meatless for 30 days. Over the past 60 days or so I've gone 3-4 days at a time meatless and i have noticed my workouts seem to go better especially the running, I just seem to have more energy. It may be all in my head but I really do notice the difference.

By no means am I one of those meat haters but I think i'm gonna give this a try for the month of May. I figure the summer is coming up and there will be plenty of BBQ's, cookouts & picnics for me to catch up.

I'm still FAT 6'2, 275.

Daily Weight Training & light cardio in the A.M (Sunday off)
Insanity in the afternoon (Sunday off)
28 mins of HIIT in the pm Sunday off)

Do I REALLY need to replace the protein i'll be cutting out?
Won't my body just feed off all the fat I still carry around?

I don't really like the taste of the powders & Rarely eat egg's or dairy.

Replies

• elysehunt
    elysehunt Posts: 16 Member
    Let me know how it goes! I went without meat for about 6 days one time. It is sort of hard to do when you have two kids to feed as well, but I felt a lot better when I did it. :) We usually eat ground turkey instead of ground beef, the calorie difference is amazing. You are doing great and congrats with your weight loss so far. ;)
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    A lot of people go without meat. Brad Pitt is a vegetarian and Angelina Jolie is a vegan so their kids must not have meat either.

I personally couldn't do without. I like chicken too much :)

You can go without the protein from meat as long as you're getting enough in your system.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/806833-chicken-black-bean-bake

Try that! I made it and it was yummy! Just omit the chicken on top and a wonderful (filling) protein packed meal! Beans and nuts in general are great sources of protein :)

http://justwaterplease.wordpress.com/ <<-- This is my friend's food blog. She's in graduate school for nutrition and she has a LOT of healthy food on there. She's also a vegetarian so no meat for her either. A lot of it looks pretty tasty (though I have yet to try it). She must be getting the adequate protein that she needs to stay healthy so perhaps try some of her recipes :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    I've be playing around with with the idea of going meatless for 30 days. Over the past 60 days or so I've gone 3-4 days at a time meatless and i have noticed my workouts seem to go better especially the running, I just seem to have more energy. It may be all in my head but I really do notice the difference.

By no means am I one of those meat haters but I think i'm gonna give this a try for the month of May. I figure the summer is coming up and there will be plenty of BBQ's, cookouts & picnics for me to catch up.

I'm still FAT 6'2, 275.

Yes you definitely need to replace the protein. If you don't get adequate protein while losing weight, you'll likely lose a lot of lean body mass (muscle, bone, etc) along with the fat. And you will inhibit your body's ability to gain strength.

Unfortunately no vegetarian source of protein exists that is as high quality as most animal sources. Consider getting used to the taste of whey protein, or just add in cottage cheese, eggs (vegetarians can still be pro-choice), greek yogurt, etc. Don't try and get all of your protein from beans!
  • stagingfirstplace
    stagingfirstplace Posts: 49 Member
    i dont understand the concept of not eating meat - its one of mans most natural and instinctual sources of food.
    i would rethink why you are doing this if i were you.
    to lose weight? this can encourage muscle loss.
    to increase energy? likely to be cabohydrate highs followed by a down.
    regarding animal cruelty - i choose grass fed, free range, wild caught sources of my meat, i think my body is more important than how OTHER people do things.
  • MyPureSteez
    I tried Hemp Protein it was about 20g per serving. So if I deffinatly need it i think that's where i'll get it from
  • I just did a meatless April! Might go May too. Definitely feels good after.
  • MyPureSteez
    i dont understand the concept of not eating meat - its one of mans most natural and instinctual sources of food.
    regarding animal cruelty - i choose grass fed, free range, wild caught sources of my meat, i think my body is more important than how OTHER people do things.

Not to lose weight that's happening on it's on as long as i keep busting my *kitten*,, More for what i notice when i'm working out I'm faster, I have more endurance, and I can go longer and harder (that's what she said - Micheal Scott voice)
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    I have gave it up for lent before and have felt better than when I eat it. My issue is that I am allergic to soy so there is not a lot of variety for me. Plus it is very hard for me to get protein. Though when I eat meat right now I don't feel so good after I eat it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I think it's a great idea to try it out for a month and see how it goes. I would recommend that you find other protein sources-- and there's tons of info out there.

Use the time to do some research, play around with different protein sources, experiment with some new foods and recipes, try a new restaurant or grocery store, and be mindful about how you feel through the process.

The worst thing that could happen is that you could learn something--about vegetarianism, about protein, about yourself--and maybe all three!
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member

Funny how many elite athletes are vegan and don't have these problems ;) Ironman winners, ultra marathoners, Olympic champs. Your concerns are ridiculous.
  • Hi, I dunno, if you like peanut butter, if you want to get protein or eat beans..

I just started this "myfitnesspal" and noticed your meatless may.. Interesting, let us know how it goes.. Also, I thought abt ordering "Insanity" dvd, Is it complicated? I like to get the starter dvd... Good luck!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I've done a meatless....past 17 years of my life. You can get protein from grains, beans, tofu, nuts, eggs, soy products, & greek yogurt, to start.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    I go meatless in the last 3-4 weeks before a big race as I do notice an energy boost in my longer runs (due to increased carbohydrates maybe?), and it tends to prevent weight gain during taper week and recovery week. However at the beginning of a training cycle, I take in a lot of lean meat as I do more strength training. In general, I try to stay on a 40-30-30 macro of carbs-protein-fat, but during the meatless cycle the protein falls a little. Calories stay the same except during taper and recovery weeks.

I try to get most of my protein from whole food sources rather than whey powder, and I don't eat soy or eggs. My meatless protein comes from veggies, grains & legumes: beans, lentils, quinoa, oatmeal, peas, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, chickpeas, artichokes, etc. I will add protein powder to my oatmeal or cereal (LFMF: mix it with water first), and I like a protein shake after lifting (once a week during peak run training). Chocolate milk, or another good protein source, is your friend after a long run. Other than that, I try to lay off the dairy. Dairy makes me phlegmy on early morning runs.

If you do eat soy, edamame, tempeh, and tofu might be additional good meat-replacement options for you. Don't swear off whey powder just yet, there are plenty of ways to incorporate it into everyday cooking, and if you buy it unflavored it's almost undetectable.

Try not to take in too much fat or nutrient-poor carbohydrates and you should be ok. Save the bagels for race day. Meatless isn't for everyone, and it may not be for you, but plenty of ultrarunners and elite triathletes are vegetarian or vegan and they make it work just fine.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    b
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Yes, replace the protein - about a gram per pound of body weight is what I've heard as the recommendation from fellow lifters, although several government organizations have extremely low limits.

If you get your protein from beans you'll have to be super careful about calories because you need to eat quite a bit to hit your macros. I also think there are a fair number of vegetarians / vegans who have poor muscle tone.

Have you considered low fat dairy? It's an easy way to hit protein without eating meat.

Skim milk, greek yogurt, egg whites, and low fat cottage cheese are all healthy and high in protein
    (do the fat free thing if you are concerned about the health impact of animal fat). You can easily replace your protein with those.

Also, you may be interested in Scooby, a body building engineer who is currently writing a computer program for bodybuilders who want to get all of the essential amino acids from vegetarian foods. Here's his website, which he updates frequently:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I'm still FAT 6'2, 275.

Yes you definitely need to replace the protein. If you don't get adequate protein while losing weight, you'll likely lose a lot of lean body mass (muscle, bone, etc) along with the fat. And you will inhibit your body's ability to gain strength.

Unfortunately no vegetarian source of protein exists that is as high quality as most animal sources. Consider getting used to the taste of whey protein, or just add in cottage cheese, eggs (vegetarians can still be pro-choice), greek yogurt, etc. Don't try and get all of your protein from beans!

Correction. Dairy is basically the highest source pf protein and is vegetarian (whey is vegetarian as us greek yogurt). You are confusing vegetarianism with veganism.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Just because you do not understand it does not mean that someone else's decision not to eat meat is invalid.

Please understand nutrition of vegetarians before insinuating that vegetarians may suffer from muscle loss.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    I get what your saying man..and your not alone, red meat does make me feel lethargic..
    I grub on fish and lean turkey and occasionally chicken..

Ive been considering an even cleaner approach.
    Just start out slow and don't put to many demands on your self.
  • nellysaurus88
    nellysaurus88 Posts: 24 Member
    I did vegetarian for about 3 months and I was losing about 1-2 lbs a week because of it. I feel like it mostly cleaned my system because it's just easier to digest vegetables and beans than meat.

I ate a lot of low fat refried beans, black beans, kidney beans, spinach, salads, broccoli, etc. I learned how to make pasta without the meat that I used to and even if the pasta was high in carbs my belly still got smaller.

The most going vegetarian did for me was clear up my skin. I received a lot of compliments from people thinking I was wearing some type of new makeup or just having a nice glow, but to be honest it was just because I wasn't eating any meat or sugar.

I wasn't able to keep up with it though because I got lazy with my cooking. You definitely have to be a little more creative & plan ahead when cooking without meat. Instead of doing purely vegetarian I try to have mostly fish in my diet, some chicken & maybe some lean ground beef here and there.

Good luck! I think everyone should do a little "no meat cleanse" maybe once a week to clear out their system. You'll see a difference I promise ya :)

To add on, I took Iron pills everyday to make up for if I lost any because of it. I didn't have to drink any of the energy drinks that I needed everyday before that.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    I have lots of vegetarian friends on here and like to check out their diaries. I have also learned some awesome recipes that are high in protein if you like to cook. I'm still not the greatest with my protein intake but I've had some good 100 - 125 gram days:)