HELP!!

Options
I have been counting calories, and i was exercising until i hurt my ankle. ( i'v broke it 3 times, i fall a lot) i am very discouraged and i don't know what to do :( i am at 200lbs at 5'8 and i am devastated. i need advice. plus i am in collage ( on campus) making my options limited.

Replies

• needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    is there a pool you can get into?
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You need to find out why you are breaking bones. Get your bone density checked. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at a very young age, and that was only the tip of the iceberg. Sometimes there are underlying issues, and breaking bones is a symptom of somehing bigger (in my case, it is hypoparathyroidism....causes osteoporosis, kidney stones, and irregular heart beats). Anywaymake sure you are getting all the nutrition you need....take a multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D. Start there, and allow the ankle to heal. Do physical therapy. Can you ride an exercise bike? Are you in a boot or a cast? Can you get in a pool? It is warming up! Don't lose hope. There are options. I like to toss a weighted ball with whoever will play with me, I've got a 2 lb ball if my 2 year old grandson is playing, a 5 lb ball if my 70 year old neighbor is with me, 10, 12, and 15 lb balls as well. (I am a freak). It;s cheap, and its fun, and it gets your heart rate up, and it strengthens you arms. Best of luck to you!
  • hopkinsa11
    hopkinsa11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    there is,but its hard to go to the gym when i have 18 credit hours and finals coming up. i know im making excuses, but that is the truth, but i have a pool at home and will be doing that when im not working my two jobs. thank you for reminding me that that i wont hurt myself in the pool :)
  • hopkinsa11
    Options
    i broke my ankle at age 9 sliding into third base during soft ball. since then i broke it at age 13 also playing softball then at age 19 hiking ( i almost stepped on a rattle snake and fell of the edge of a small ledge.) i have had bone density tests on that ankle, the doctor says that it is weak, but thats not uncommon for the amount of breaks in that amount of time. but i do know that the heaver i get the more problems i have with it. i am no longer in a boot, but i wear a brace periodically. i do ride the bike and i have had therapy. i also participated in marching band this fall, having to be on it a lot without it being completely healed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Continue counting calories. Exercise when it feels better. Find things that hurt it less, bike riding, weight lifting, swimming.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Continue counting calories. Exercise when it feels better. Find things that hurt it less, bike riding, weight lifting, swimming.

I agree. You'll lose weight by counting calories alone. You can lift weights, swim, Pilates.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    plenty of people lose weight without doing exercise. Adjust your calorie intake accordingly.
  • hopkinsa11
    Options
    my intake is set for about 1400, honestly i have to make myself eat that at times. And thank you all for the great advice :)
  • BeeDucky
    BeeDucky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got a lot of sound advice here. Lots of people care about you and are offering support. If I remember correctly, college campuses have lots of buildings and classes in those buildings and seldom two classes back to back in the same building. All that means lots of walking. Walking is a great exercise even when done slowly to accommodate your ankle. If you continue to make wise eating choices, you'll lose weight. Maybe not as quickly as you'd prefer, but remember, slow weight lose is best. You'll be more likely to keep it off because your body will have time to adjust to its new proportions Best wishes as you continue your course both academically and physically.
  • hopkinsa11
    Options
    thank you. i do walk about 30-40 mins a day going from class to class back to the room. i never thought of that as being active i just have to do it lol.
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    I know when your time in limited and you have a bum ankle it is harder but it can be done. Look at your everyday activities, you would be surprised as to how many calories you burn doing them. IE: house cleaning, standing vs sitting. I have a sit down job that I work 10-12 hour shifts(Communications in a hospital) and can only leave the office when I have my 1/2 hour lunch. I too hurt my ankle recently, not broke but badly sprained. On my lunch I walk in the hospital. We have desks that raise, so we (2 co-workers and I are doing MFP) stand 2-3 hours a day. We also have steps under our stools for a foot rest, and we use them to do mild step areobics. It all ads up. Wishing you the best!
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    counting calories isn't the only way to lose weight.
    of course it's necessary to build a calorie deficit, but there are more important things to consider first:

1) DIET.
    what are you eating?
    cut out sugars, processed foods, and white carbohydrates (such as refined bread, rice, pasta, pastries, cakes, white flour).
    if you do eat sugar, let it be fruit. fruit are nature's candy.
    vegetables have to make up a MAJORITY of what you are eating everyday. it's not very hard to do - just implement some baby carrots, zucchinis, a little bit of leafy greens here and there into your meals.
    avoid granola bars. they have the tendency to appear health-friendly to new dieters, but they are not a good idea. they have so much sugar content, they're just another form of candy in disguise.

i cannot stress how important healthy diet is.
    just eating healthy can shed the pounds off.
    trust me, it's 80% diet, 20% exercise.

2) EXERCISING CORRECTLY
    exercise by stressing your body out a little.
    i'm sorry to hear about your ankle, i hope it heals soon.
    you can probably do basic exercises for right now (like maybe some pilates/yoga?) and SLOWLY increase your exercise on your body when you're ready.

3) SUPPORT
    get support from friends/family.
    getting on MFP is a good choice to start.

4) PATIENCE.
    it takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends, 12 weeks for the rest of the world.
    patience is key.
    people are so close to getting their goals, but because they couldn't tough it out just a little bit more, they give up and lose sight of everything.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've had lots of good ideas so far so all I'm going to add is using a stationary bike or rowing machine wouldn't pound your ankles. Also ask your dr. to put you in touch with a physical therapist who can show you how to strengthen your ankle.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Can you see a physical therapist who can suggest the right exercises for you? Good luck!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Swimming or use an elliptical or ride a bike for 10 miles....
    so many options!
  • kitchen0nfire
    kitchen0nfire Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a bad ankle too, I've twisted it 3 times and broke it once...plus I'm asthmatic so I feel your pain in the exercise column. But I only use the Elliptical at the gym, it's the only one that doesn't hurt after 30 min. If you don't have access to a gym, swimming is good. There's a park by my house that has the trail covered in rubber so it's easier on the joints, I don't know if there's something like near you. Brisk walking is always a good option :)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    find a personal trainer and let them set you up on a strength training program that will not harm you. If I remember correctly, I read that strength training can reduce weakness in bones and even reverse osteo. Swimming is obviously a great idea!
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking your calories and food intake..and this site definitely can help you stay motivated. Everyone here has given great advice and thats the great thing about it. You can definitely do this..we can stick together. Im very clumsy with bad ankles too from sports. I feel what you are saying.

Best of luck!!!!!
  • hopkinsa11
    Options
    thanks everyone. now i have no excuses lol