Gave up mid workout :(

Options
Im on day 5 of the 30 day shred. I stopped after 9 mins. I just wasn't into it. My arms hurt, my calves hurt, my thighs hurt and I'm tired. My husband tells me not to stress about it because I just went for an hour walk and my HRM said 905 calories burned. I have been doing so good not quitting and just pushing myself...or else I'm not going to get results. I dunno.., I'm just bummed out :(

Replies

• ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try not to be bummed out. Those workouts maybe aren't for you or the level you're at. That's the problem with workout videos. They don't really cater to all activity levels so it can be easy to quit. I've used the 30 day shred and gave up after 3 weeks out of boredom, plus I got tired of JM's voice. Try FitnessBlender videos on youtube. There are hundreds of them for every fitness level. They're completely free even on their website and there's no annoying people in the background or bad lighting. It's just two people doing the exercises, a couple who are very likable. They even have different types of workout videos for every interest. I'm so glad I stumbled upon them. Haven't gone back to workout dvds since. Only started in March but have lost 17lbs so far and at least 2 inches off of every body part. I have a ways to go but I'm enjoying the process. Good luck to you and don't give up. Just find exercises that work for you and keep you motivated!
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    Don't get to bummed out! We all have our off days (I just had one yesterday) just get back on the wagon and start up again. I have had Jillians 30 Day Shred DVD for over 3 years and I still do it to this day, I truly have her to thank for my body, I have every single one of her DVD's and I know what you mean about being sore. I find it helps to alternate her DVDs everyday I never do that same DVD in a week everyday is a new DVD Still get a awesome workout and each DVD is so different, I love her shred it with weights (kettle ball workout) and her new Hard Body DVD Awesome!! Good Luck and keep your head up and hey 903 burned not bad at all!
  • eli_802
    eli_802 Posts: 60
    Options
    30 day shred is rough to do every day because it gets boring. i used to often mute my computer/tv while doing it, and listened to music instead! it helps the workout go by faster and is also more fun. don't be discouraged - we all have bad workout days. just be happy that you got a walk in and were able to do the first 9 minutes. a short workout is better than none at all and if you're that sore, pushing through it could just make tomorrow even more miserable. hang in there!
  • cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey...it took me about 17 days to get through 10 level one workouts. And that workout is tough. Take a break and try again another day. Honestly, Sunday I did level 2, day 1 and I still hurt too bad to do day 2. No worries. I'll get through it. So will you.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you set up your HRM the right way? I don't burn 900 calories running for an hour, let alone walking.

Also, 30 Day Shred is not designed to be done 30 days in a row. Your body needs recovery time. Don't feel bad, just get back into it in a day or two.

Good luck!
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to recalibrate your HRM. Run at a 6 minute mile pace and you might, might, burn 905 calories.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    sometimes we need to let our body decide...on low motivation days i make myself a deal that 10 mins is enough...a lot of times 10 mins leads to a big ol workout. Sometimes 10 mins is a struggle and I stop at the end. You have to let your body win this battle sometimes so you don't burn out.

Tomorrow make it 12 mins if you are lacking motivation...then decide what to do. Your not going to lose ground in a day or two or low motivation...it is when you let negative self talk make one off day turn into 20 off days.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Jililan Michaels herself has said that she does not intend for 30DS to be done in 30 consecutive days. Rest days are important. If you feel like taking a day off, you probably NEED to take a day off to let your muscles heal.

Rest for a day then get back to it the day after that.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    Are you sure you set up your HRM the right way? I don't burn 900 calories running for an hour, let alone walking.

Also, 30 Day Shred is not designed to be done 30 days in a row. Your body needs recovery time. Don't feel bad, just get back into it in a day or two.

Good luck!

I hope I have it set right! This was fast walking, some jogging, lots of stairs, really steep hills ...plus I'm 205 lbs. So by the time I got back home I was dripping with sweat. And yesterday was my rest day from the 30 day shred.
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options

Concur. Haven't lost this running 2 hours. I'd say HRM is not set up correctly or is worn incorrectly.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's a tough workout when you're starting it so don't feel bummed! I've had to take it easy on some of the moves too.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Get bummed out, don't get bummed out, ultimately it really doesn't matter...

...*but only as long as you don't let it affect your commitment tomorrow and beyond*.

Cutting a workout short when you aren't feeling it isn't failure...it's smart.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't be bummed...sometimes we have "off-days". Besides, that was 9 minutes more than any workout I did today. :tongue:
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I feel better! Although kinda upset my HRM may have been lying to me this whole timw errrr
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    Sometimes doing cardio first can affect weight training. I've always suggested to clients that they can warm up with a little cardio, but focus on weight training first and then do their cardio workout. Since Jillian does a combination of WT and then cardio, perhaps doing her video first would be less tiring.

Also, rest days are good. 5 days consecutively can put a strain on ya, so don't fret if you only do a portion of the video or not at all. Listen to what your body tells you to do. If you are tired, then rest. I hope you get wonderful results! I enjoyed the Shred and the results I got with it. It improved my tummy big time! :)

EDIT: Just read you had a rest day with the Shred. Although, rest is definitely a good option when active. :)
  • tobiAnn_
    tobiAnn_ Posts: 9
    Options
    Ha. 9 Minutes? The first time I did the 30DS I gave up in like 2 minutes! And the worst part is I just sat down and watched the rest of the DVD :o LOOOL! Everyone goes through those days where you just plain out give up. The good part about it tho is that there is always tomorrow. If you didn't quite get it today, dust yourself off and get back on it tomorrow :) Just because you gave up today, doesn't mean give up entirely. Thats why its a JOURNEY. Dont be discouraged! Rome wasn't built in a day :) Also, experiment a lil.. maybe the 30DS isn't for you. It *does* tend to get boring. Try other things, maybe things that you like more.. and use the 30DS for a rainy day or a day that you couldn't make the gym/run/walk/whatever.. :)
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I feel better! Although kinda upset my HRM may have been lying to me this whole timw errrr

What does it read when you do 30DS?
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    Options

What does it read when you do 30DS?

Between 200 and 300
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself. There could be plenty of reasons your body might not have been up to it today: 1) need a rest day, 2) hormone levels, 3) dehydration, 4) coming down with somethign, etc. etc. etc. Chalk today up as a needed rest day and see if you don't feel stronger and more energetic when you hit it hard tomorrow. Just keep showing up every day. You don't have to be perfect, you're doing great!
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    It's okay! Try it again in a day or two. You won't be sorry.