2nd time losing 30lbs and no one has said a word!

Options
Hey everyone! Just wondering if you've had the same experience? This is the 2nd time around for me with a significant weight loss and no one has mentioned I look like i have lost weight like they did the first time around. I'm thinking that they remember me being here before so maybe they don't notice? What do you think? I'm so happy I want to shout it from the rooftops but then I am reminded that this is my 2nd time around and I gained most of my first loss back. Also, I don't want to appear as bragging. What do you think?

Replies

• chinalavy
    chinalavy Posts: 104
    Options
    Be proud of your accomplishments do not let other people make you feel bad just because they don't mention your weight loss . It matters to you they are your goals and with time you will see people will notice you are serious about it and will go WOW . Keep on going even if you did this more then ones is ok as long as you don't give up on yourself . I done this many, many times but now I think I got this and wont let go .
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've only had one person commenting so far, and I've lost over 40 pounds. Well, there was someone who asked if I'd grown taller as well, I suppose that could count :laugh:
    A lot of people feel it's a sensitive subject, so they won't say anything. Just in case you haven't lost weight but done something else to make you look different, or have lost the weight due to illness. They are just worried to get it wrong.

other people don't seem to notice at all, if you lose the weight slowly and they see you every day, it's like they just forget what you looked like at the start of your weight loss; they've gotten used to a smaller you. It's quite often people who haven't seen you in a while that may notice a difference.

Some people are envious as well unfortunately, and won't comment because of that. The fact that you're doing this a second time (just like me) might mean as well that people are taking a "let's see if she keeps it off for real this time2 approach unfortunately. (as if losing the weight a second time is less of an accomplishment!)

you look great and are doing really well. Don't let the lack of comments bother you too much, eventually they'll see that this time it's for real!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I mean...well... what? You want a cookie or something?

You're doing it for you. Sometimes, you have to just let it go at that.

Many people are touchy about talk about weight anyways, especially if they are notorious bad eater and non fitness types.

Be proud of you. You don't need (but want) validation.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ihave lost 15lbs, which was a decent amount since my bmi was only 25 at the start and no one except my husband (he could be lying though) has noticed. My dad even complimented my husband on loosing weight when he is already thin and lost 10 lbs a minor beer belly but my dad didnt notice mine at all. It bums me out but ya know what, all I care about now is being stronger and healthier. The rest will come I think. My self esteem is growing a bit even though I have only went down a size.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just wondering if you've had the same experience? This is the 2nd time around for me with a significant weight loss and no one has mentioned I look like i have lost weight like they did the first time around. I'm thinking that they remember me being here before so maybe they don't notice? What do you think? I'm so happy I want to shout it from the rooftops but then I am reminded that this is my 2nd time around and I gained most of my first loss back. Also, I don't want to appear as bragging. What do you think?

Out of curiosity, did they mention the fact that you'd put all the weight back on?

I can imagine them wanting to avoid the topic because they're worried about you being sensitive about it. I mean lets face it, telling someone 'you've lost loads of weight' is a compliment (usually) but it is also an acknowledgement that they were fat in the first place... and that's not such an acceptable thing to imply.
  • SusanHeinous
    Options
    I agree that you are doing this for yourself and shouldn't need to look to others for validation.
    You are doing superbly and should be proud.
    It's the same when you quit smoking, a week later you're still craving for a *kitten* but everyone else has forgotten you ever smoked:huh:
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I had a lady asking me yesterday if I had lost weight. I see her almost every morning. She said she had noticed before but didn't like to ask for fear of being too personal. I said she could ask as much as she liked because I am proud of my weight loss. I think some people just don't like to ask even ithough they have noticed.
  • FrankenFit90
    Options
    Hey....your doing amazing. You know that's not what getting healthy is about. Of course I know that positive reinforcement makes all the work seem worth it....but the real satisfaction will come when you forget about how other people see you...and start understanding how YOU see you. If it helps .....me..a total stranger....cares. I just started this program...and am anxious to be in your place. I believe you will start making heads turn..just don't quit.:flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

they probably dont want to say anything cos you put it all back on last time!
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options

they probably dont want to say anything cos you put it all back on last time!

^^^^ This
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't concern myself with the thoughts and opinions of other people too much....
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing, sometimes people know weight loss can be an up and down rollercoaster and the 1st time they noticed they complimented you and then you gained it back so they may have felt like maybe this time around it would be best not to say anything. It is probably more out of care and fear of hurting your feelings than oversight. At any rate, SHOUT it out on MFP and wear it proud and continue on your journey until you get where you want to be. Good luck :-)
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 pounds, and the only people who have noticed are people who have seen the pictures side-by-side. I agree it's kind of disheartening to not have someone telling you how awesome you're looking, but YOU know... and hey, that's what we're here for, too!
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    I was at the gym a couple of weeks ago and I overheard a trainer telling a client about weight loss: It takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, it takes another 4 weeks for your family to notice a difference, and it takes ANOTHER 4 weeks for everyone else to notice. I'm not sure how long it has taken you, but it might be that people really haven't noticed yet. Or they've noticed something, but just aren't quite sure what and are afraid to say anything. I have a friend who lost 20 pounds, but she's not a close friend and when I hadn't seen her for a while and then did, I KNEW she looked AWESOME and was somehow different, but I was afraid to say "Wow, you've lost weight" for fear that wasn't it. Plus, even though I like it when I lose weight, sometimes I really HATE it when people I don't know that well comment on it. I only ever have 5 -10 pounds to lose and there are people that I only see in the summer and last summer a lot of people kept telling me "you've lost weight". It drove me nuts because I was wearing the same clothes as the previous summer and even though I HAD lost a few pounds, I was irritated because that comment meant that they had always felt that I needed to lose weight. Knowing that and how I felt, I'm always careful not to mention weight loss to people. It's kind of like the "When are you due?" question - a no no :-) Just keep up the good work, remember that you are losing it FOR YOU and for your health, and if you want to shout about it go ahead and do it! And just keep losing...one day they will be FORCED to address it!
  • decreasing_me
    Options
    Same here. I think people are just afraid to mention it bc it is a sensitive subject. I did have a lady at my church the other day ask me if I had been sick...which was not very flattering...and I just smiled but I could have done without that! LOL :huh: