Thinking of going to a body pump class...

Options
2»

Replies

• run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I was nervous going into a body pump class for the first time, so I got there a little early and just asked a girl that already had all of her stuff set up - I told her I had never done the class before and asked her what I needed. She was super nice and helpful, and practically set up my stuff for me and showed me how to use the bars and how the weights clicked into them, etc.
    If you aren't comfortable just going up to someone, then ask the instructor, it's their job to help new people.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I dont personally do them, but a friend of mine has been doing them for many months and it still kicks her *kitten* every time.
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people saying Body Pump is amazing - it's hard work but you get through it because of the energy of the instructor and the music.

I know it's hard to try new classes on your own but what I've found with the Les Mills classes is that the people who are going tend to be fans and they really won't mind talking to you about it (and raving about it!). I'd suggest picking someone who seems friendly and asking if they've been before and if so if they've got any advice (mine would be to make sure you have a full range of weights and a couple of some of them so you have the greatest flexibility in what weights you put on).

Definitely talk to the instructor beforehand so they can watch out for your form. I know some people are saying to find a place at the back but I'd say find a place at the front so you can really see what's going on and, if you have a moment (in Pump you might not!), take any opportunity to watch how the old hands are doing it!

I really hope you do go and enjoy it :-)
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Definitely do it! Get there early to have time to set up your station - I made the mistake of thinking the instructor set them up :blushing: oops! Someone was nice and helped me out.

Have a range of weights since you won't know how much you can do. Start low and work up if you can. It's a lot of reps so you get a lot of benefit with little weight.

Don't worry about not knowing the moves - it's easier than most classes and everyone understands what it's like to be new.
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Love it! Love it! Love it! I love all the Les Mills classes (well, except for cycle - hurts my butt too much). Since I started doing pump regularly, the weight is flying off! I didn't expect that. Not only that, but I like the way my arms look. WHAT?!?! Never thought I'd say that! I can definitely see my body changing shape. Can't say enough great things about Body Pump. DO IT!!! It's hard (and if you think it's not hard, you need to add more weight!), so mentally prepare yourself to work hard and don't quit! It's SOOOOO worth it! Best of luck to you!
  • missyrussell81
    missyrussell81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm always terrified of starting the classes. I hate not knowing anyone when everyone else seems to know each other. However, it is well worth the anxiety in the end. Body Pump has been my favorite for a while now, but Body Combat is quickly gaining! I say just go to class, set your station up in the middle so you can't walk out half way through, and keep your eyes on your instructor throughout the workout. Before you know it, you'll start opening up to others in the class!
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    I did BP for a long time. It is great if you don't normally lift weights or are afraid to hit the weight room floor. But like anything else.. You eventually plateau.. There is only a limited number benefits from doing 800 reps in an hour. Over time, most people will never increase their barbell weight and will never get the true benefits (lean muscles).

One thing about body pump is that instructors never truely give you one to one instructions on how to do the moves. (According to instructors... they are not allowed to leave their post to personally instruct. They are not allowed to point out people to tell them they are doing the moves wrong). So learn how to do the moves. You can watch them on Youtube. Learn to perfect them otherwise you will injury yourself. Because no one will ever point out that you are doing it wrong if you are.

I used to to 3-4 BP classes a week for close to 2 years.

A shoulder injury took me out. I then hit the heavy weights and my body has changed for the better. I never returned to BP again... The only time I do so is if I'm tired and lazy and want an "easy" workout.

If you ultimately want to lose weight, gain muscle, and lose fat... hit the weight room and lift real weights.

If you look at fit models or professional atheletes, their workout usually do not incude BP but REAL weights. In the time, I took BP I met all the regulars. Most of them have not changed their bodies despite doing several BP classes in a week.

Good luck
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I went for the first time yesterday and it was great! Aching today though. One thing, just make sure you work at your own pace, doesn't matter if you're not working yourself as hard as you could be the first time because then you'll know what to do next time. I managed to hurt my knee a bit yesterday and I think I'd just not listened to my body and pushed myself a bit too far.
  • SarahLou1111
    Options
    Thanks to all of you I am now booked on to my first Bodypump class this coming Monday morning...I may not be thanking you all then :-)
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just caught up on this post today - thanks for all the comments! I went last night and really enjoyed it. I asked someone for some help setting up (she was lovely) and the instructor was really helpful too. Unfortunately I can go only go once a week but I've already booked the next one and looking forward to it already - despite the aching legs today! :happy:
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!

First time I went it was on my own - just went in and asked someone in the class what equipment I needed and told instructor it was my first class. It went great :) You wont regret it!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I did BP for a long time. It is great if you don't normally lift weights or are afraid to hit the weight room floor. But like anything else.. You eventually plateau.. There is only a limited number benefits from doing 800 reps in an hour. Over time, most people will never increase their barbell weight and will never get the true benefits (lean muscles).

One thing about body pump is that instructors never truely give you one to one instructions on how to do the moves. (According to instructors... they are not allowed to leave their post to personally instruct. They are not allowed to point out people to tell them they are doing the moves wrong). So learn how to do the moves. You can watch them on Youtube. Learn to perfect them otherwise you will injury yourself. Because no one will ever point out that you are doing it wrong if you are.

I used to to 3-4 BP classes a week for close to 2 years.

A shoulder injury took me out. I then hit the heavy weights and my body has changed for the better. I never returned to BP again... The only time I do so is if I'm tired and lazy and want an "easy" workout.

If you ultimately want to lose weight, gain muscle, and lose fat... hit the weight room and lift real weights.

If you look at fit models or professional atheletes, their workout usually do not incude BP but REAL weights. In the time, I took BP I met all the regulars. Most of them have not changed their bodies despite doing several BP classes in a week.

Good luck

Totally agree. I've been doing body pump for 18 months 3 times a week. I love it but i feel like its not giving me the results i want so I'm now ready to do some heavy lifting. I've also developed nagging shoulder pain and I suspect that the huge amount of reps I do in pump are only making it worse.

It will be hard not going to pump though because I've become quite addicted to it.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I've been going for a little over a month (in effect) and enjoyed my weekly class so much, I now go twice a week, and am starting to see/feel results. I think it's a good introduction to weights in general.

Make sure you get there in good time to get set up/get the weights you want, tell the instructor you're new to this, and take earplugs to cut the often-excessive music volume (and water and a sweat towel). The first few session will be a bit fumbly as you figure out what weights work for you and how to get everything set up, but do persevere - it's pretty good fun, actually!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do it, you should enjoy it.

Go up to the instructor, if they dont help you, they are a bad instructor! Some dont mind even if you use an empty bar to get used to the motions (alot of them its the first time in the class/exercise so they appreciate it, and still end up hurting at the end!)

I wasnt aware that the instructors arent allowed to leave their 'posts' ours always leaves it, to help get everyone to the right technique so that injuries are reduced/dont occur.

Pump is the first class i ever went to, and its my favourite, i love it when i can increase weights in it!