I just ran 5k!

Options
From starting at 20st in January and barely able to run the length of myself, following some serious healthy eating and a lot of exercise, today I have just covered 5km in a time of 38m 19sec, mostly running with the occasional walk. I am building up to some 10km organised runs over the summer so this is right on schedule.

To say I am delighted would be a massive understatement!

Replies

• bringingbonnieback
    Options
    That's great! Keep up the good work.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    And you SHOULD be delighted. Good for you!
  • Madmadz77
    Madmadz77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Trust me I know how hard it is to start running. Keep it up, it only gets easier.
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    Congrats! I'll never forget the feeling when I finished my first 5K! Great job and keep going!
  • Myfitself101
    Myfitself101 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Well done!!! It feels great doesn't it??? :)
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic and a great NSV!!!
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats!
  • SheriF49
    SheriF49 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner/jogger. Can you give me some tips on how you got started? I got the App Zombies 5K to try and help but haven't gotten to far. I would like to work up to a 5k by this summer.
  • Woolified
    Woolified Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nice! :o)
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    That's just awesome, good for you. Keep up the good work.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I am almost there myself. I'm up to 2.25 miles. Keep up the good work!
  • Thinspirational_Me
    Options
    thanks all, you guys are the best!
  • Thinspirational_Me
    Options
    I have never been a runner/jogger. Can you give me some tips on how you got started? I got the App Zombies 5K to try and help but haven't gotten to far. I would like to work up to a 5k by this summer.

A lot of people have success with C25K (Couch to 5K) programmes - there are phone apps that will guide you through this process. Bascially they start of with walk 1min then run 1m, repeat, then over time increase running time and decrease walking time.

For me, I tried C25K and I couldn't get on with it. I found that I was getting stuck, having to repeat runs over and over and I just wasn't making headway with it, so I just adapted the idea a little - still walk/run but only as much or as little as I felt I could do.

The other thing, and I think this is vitally important, is to sign up for an organised run. Without that target, I just wasn't motivated. As soon as I paid the money to register for a local 5k, it was there in the calendar and it wasn't going away. In fact as soon as I'd done that, I found two more 10k runs locally so I signed up for those as well. I was going to have to just get on with it. So I picked three days a week to run and I stuck to it. If you are doing this, make sure you give yourself at least 1 full day in between runs to recover. I run Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I started off with 2k on the first week, then 3k the next week and so on, leading up to 5k this week and my 10k week is two weeks before the first organised run I have signed up for (I'm doing 10k in June, 5k in July and 10k in October)

Sorry, bit of a long post there. Here's the TL;DR version
    - register for a race. Make sure its far enough away that you can train for it
    - get out there 3 times a week
    - build it up gradually at a pace that works for YOU.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    YAY! Throwing confetti for you! But be warned...it's a sickness...soon you'll be craving an ultra...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I just did one but walked way more than I ran. I have a goal to be able to run the whole thing by later this year. :)
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options

A lot of people have success with C25K (Couch to 5K) programmes - there are phone apps that will guide you through this process. Bascially they start of with walk 1min then run 1m, repeat, then over time increase running time and decrease walking time.

For me, I tried C25K and I couldn't get on with it. I found that I was getting stuck, having to repeat runs over and over and I just wasn't making headway with it, so I just adapted the idea a little - still walk/run but only as much or as little as I felt I could do.

The other thing, and I think this is vitally important, is to sign up for an organised run. Without that target, I just wasn't motivated. As soon as I paid the money to register for a local 5k, it was there in the calendar and it wasn't going away. In fact as soon as I'd done that, I found two more 10k runs locally so I signed up for those as well. I was going to have to just get on with it. So I picked three days a week to run and I stuck to it. If you are doing this, make sure you give yourself at least 1 full day in between runs to recover. I run Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I started off with 2k on the first week, then 3k the next week and so on, leading up to 5k this week and my 10k week is two weeks before the first organised run I have signed up for (I'm doing 10k in June, 5k in July and 10k in October)

Sorry, bit of a long post there. Here's the TL;DR version
    - register for a race. Make sure its far enough away that you can train for it
    - get out there 3 times a week
    - build it up gradually at a pace that works for YOU.

CONGRATULATIONS dougt17!! You should be proud of yourself, that is a great victory!

I agree with all of the above, especially picking a 5k to run, but with enough time to train (and a hint if you are close to the course, practice a few times at least on that course, because when you don't know where the finish line is, sometimes it can feel way farther away than that 5k :)). I've done only one 5k so far (last August) and it feels very great! am working on 10k.

On top of the good advise above, you may want to check out Olympiad runner Jeff Galloway, his way of learning to run is pretty much what is written above, but I found his site/books very helpful.

Good luck, you will be hooked very shortly if not already and who can complain about free healthy-happy-drugs:)))
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!