My Meatless May (MMM)

Options
2»

Replies

• jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I know you're only talking going vegetarian, not vegan, but take a look at this site for athletes who are vegan:

http://www.greatveganathletes.com/

and this site:

http://www.veganfitness.net/home/

under the FAQ and under I have 10 minutes. Give me the nutritional know-how.

There are lots of great ways for you to get your protein.
  • mspasdechat
    mspasdechat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First of all - what a GREAT idea. My most sincere congratulations. Cutting out meat is great for your mind, body, and spirit. I've been vegan for 7 years and it has been the most marvelous experience. While I do slip up, my usual diet is full of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and legumes. I am a very active dancer and my diet does not inhibit my strength or stamina in anyway.

Maybe check out this website for more solid information: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/

Meat does NOT equal big beautiful muscles. Meat, especially in excessive consumption, can have a detrimental effect on your health, raising cholesterol and increasing your risk for heart disease and stroke. It's best to keep your diet well rounded and colorful and free of animal products! You will feel much better - or at least I did. Perhaps I am biased as I am an animal rights advocate, but I sincerely think we've got it all wrong. We grow up believing that meat makes muscles, and milk makes strong bones. But if we look to early civilizations, meat was eaten only when it was caught. People weren't running around grilling massive steaks and eating hamburgers and drinking ice cold glasses of milk. They lived off what they could farm and occasionally kill. Keeping a diet simple and fresh is the best way to go.

Good luck! I commend you on your ambitions - I do hope you stick it out through May... and perhaps a little longer! ;)

Much peace and love ~
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yes, replace the protein - about a gram per pound of body weight is what I've heard as the recommendation from fellow lifters, although several government organizations have extremely low limits.

275 grams of protein?
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    i dont understand the concept of not eating meat - its one of mans most natural and instinctual sources of food.
    i would rethink why you are doing this if i were you.
    to lose weight? this can encourage muscle loss.
    to increase energy? likely to be cabohydrate highs followed by a down.
    regarding animal cruelty - i choose grass fed, free range, wild caught sources of my meat, i think my body is more important than how OTHER people do things.

Wrong.
    You can still gain muscle without eating animal carcass.
    A vegetarian diet doesn't depend on mostly carbs for energy.
    Free range is still cruel.

Do some research.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Yes, replace the protein - about a gram per pound of body weight is what I've heard as the recommendation from fellow lifters, although several government organizations have extremely low limits.

275 grams of protein?

For someone at a healthy weight, it's a gram per lb. But for those that are over weight, it's 1 gram per lb of LBM.
    lean body mass.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

275 grams of protein?

Go with a gram per lb of LBM. Or, if you do not know it, try to get at least 170g protein - if you are a bit lower, no worries, but try not to get it too much lower.
  • Momof52010
    Momof52010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please let us know how it goes. I have seriously considered it myself if I can get my husband on board.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

275 grams of protein?

The calculators I've seen are based on g per kg of weight: 1.5 g of protein per kg of body weight.
    So if you're 275 lbs (~125 kg), you'd shoot for 187 g of protein daily.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I tried Hemp Protein it was about 20g per serving. So if I deffinatly need it i think that's where i'll get it from

I use a lot of hemp seeds, Garden of Life "Raw Protein", which I like to add to my green leafy smoothies, and Tera'sWhey Grass-Fed Organic whey supplement for my chocolate shakes I make with almond milk, raw cacao, banana, and stevia to sweeten to taste. :) Yummy and I have no issues getting enough protein. I do eat fish too though, so I'm not really a vegetarian, but most of my food choices lean that way.

If you want some ideas for getting lots of non-meat protein into your daily foods, check out some of the vegetarian MFP members food diaries. My food and exercise diary is open, if you are interested. I stay pretty close to meeting my macros goals most days, which are 35% protein, 35 % fat, 30 percent carbs.
  • barbaratrollman
    Options
    I have gave it up for lent before and have felt better than when I eat it. My issue is that I am allergic to soy so there is not a lot of variety for me. Plus it is very hard for me to get protein. Though when I eat meat right now I don't feel so good after I eat it.

I don't use any soy products at all. There are absolutely many non-soy, non-meat protein options, as you probably already know too. :)
  • barbaratrollman
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to try it out for a month and see how it goes. I would recommend that you find other protein sources-- and there's tons of info out there.

Use the time to do some research, play around with different protein sources, experiment with some new foods and recipes, try a new restaurant or grocery store, and be mindful about how you feel through the process.

The worst thing that could happen is that you could learn something--about vegetarianism, about protein, about yourself--and maybe all three!

Great advice! :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

275 grams of protein?

You only need 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. So depending on how much fat you have, it'll be less than that.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    i dont understand the concept of not eating meat - its one of mans most natural and instinctual sources of food.
    i would rethink why you are doing this if i were you.
    to lose weight? this can encourage muscle loss.
    to increase energy? likely to be cabohydrate highs followed by a down.
    regarding animal cruelty - i choose grass fed, free range, wild caught sources of my meat, i think my body is more important than how OTHER people do things.

Funny how many elite athletes are vegan and don't have these problems ;) Ironman winners, ultra marathoners, Olympic champs. Your concerns are ridiculous.

There are lots of vegan elite athletes? You sure about that? Vegetarian sure, but not vegan. What sports are you talking about here? I mean there are quite a lot of elite athletes in the world, but very few are actually vegan.
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is a recent post on Vegetarian/Vegan protein sources (just a few days ago) that has great info on protein alternatives that aren't powders.