Holidaying in France

Options
Hi
I am off to France for 2 weeks and have got so used to bar coding everything, but I have got a feeling that its not going to work abroad, can anyone confirm for me. Although without it I'll probably be burning more calories writing it all down and calculating!!
Its gonna be hard voiding fresh bread, butter, cheeses and Far Breton and no Pump classes!!
Elaine

Replies

• julyssas
    julyssas Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi, I live in France and bread (croissants, pain au chocolat, pain au raisin, etc) are my biggest problems :-). French diet is pretty balanced though, you can eat lots of vegetables, salads and fruits. If you'll be in Paris, most likely you will be walking a lot, so there you go for your exercises :-). Have a good trip!
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try a dish called Salad Niçoise. The common ingredient is tuna. There seems to be many varieties.

If you are not going to have computer access try writing it all down and submit and maybe mfp will keep your ticker current.

Bon voyage mademoiselle! J'espère que vous avez un merveilleux moment! :flowerforyou:
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also what I really remember as the big shocker is how much smaller the European portions are comapred to our buffet lifestyle. I was in Toulon for about 3 weeks and then the weekend in Paris and actually never really over did it, (Mediterranean Diet?). And to the walking about comment. Oh, yeah. But Paris is a great place to walk!
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...French food! I guess I would just do my best to log so that I could squeeze in some (lots) of the treats I love. Balance will be key. I agree about walking. You could focus on maintaining by allowing extra calories within reason, walking a ton, and limiting the wine to a couple glasses a day. Enjoy!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I live in France, you can bar code 90% of the things you buy in a shop.
    The best supermarket for having the most products on MFP is Monoprix, Carrefour has a lot too.
    As for baguettes, pain au chocolat, etc. you can find generic versions of them on MFP.
    I've been logging for 5 months now and had no real problems with finding stuff I've eaten to log.

Also, you will do a lot of walking as you are sight seeing and here (I live in Paris) we tend to eat small portions of things, so you will find as long as you eat a little of everything you want you shouldn't have too much trouble.
    Lots of fresh fruit and veg here being sold, it's worth investing in it!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Are you stoopid? Why not enjoy France. I did multiple times and will again. No way I'd count the calories. It's a holiday.. enjoy it. Do better when you get back.
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Are you stoopid? Why not enjoy France. I did multiple times and will again. No way I'd count the calories. It's a holiday.. enjoy it. Do better when you get back.

Thats good advice, enjoy your holiday and you can easily fit in some excersise time while your at it, I love France lol!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    We spent 3 weeks in Paris and the south of France not too long ago. It was wonderful-especially the food! To my surprise, I lost 2 pounds while away. My husband held steady. We didn't overdo but we ate (and drank wine) everything we wanted to but we walked and walked everywhere for miles and miles. Our rental apt in Paris was on the 3rd floor-no lift-so we did those stairs at least 2x a day. We apparently burned off all the yummy French food and wine. My husband had a croissant and cafe au lait for breakfast every morning and I had a veggie omelette with fresh herbs every morning. Heaven!
    Oh and I had escargot with plenty of bread everyday.
    I also loved the salade nicoise.
    Bon voyage!