Spin class advice plz... Thx

Options
Hi, I am doing my 1st spin class tonight (I'm a bit nervousness to be honest).
Has anyone hit any tips or advice please.

Thanks in advance... xx

Replies

• Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I hated it when I first tried it! Now I love it.

I'd say take it easy - don't increase your resistance as much as the instructor may tell you, it'll help to pace yourself through the class.

if you have a gel saddle or padded shorts I'd take them too!
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    The uncomfortableness of the seat is by far the worse. It takes several classes to get used to it. Keep moving even if you can't do everything the instructor says regarding pace and/ or maneuvering in and out of the seat.

I would get there early and ask the instructor to help you adjust your bike settings (seat height, position, etc). The ride and stress to your knees can be big if your bike isn't set properly.

Have fun! It is my favorite class (I hated it at first too)!
  • crumbird
    crumbird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just take it easy in that first class so you can make it the duration. Don't go too crazy. If you can make it through 2,3,4 classes then you'll really start to enjoy it. I've become obsessed!
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Spinning is now my favorite workout! You will love it.

Your butt will be in some major hurt for a few days and I agree it will take several classes for you to get used to it. Spin varies greatly by instructor so hopefully you have a good one. For your first class, focus on your form and what feels “acceptable” to you….. i.e. resistance, bike settings, grips in the various positions etc. This way in future classes, you’ll know how to increase/decrease your resistance and those things and you can focus on keeping up and pushing yourself. My first class the instructor told me not to worry about anything or keeping up just don’t stop peddling and that is exactly what I did....just take it easy.

I also agree, get their early to have the instructor help you set up your bike. Tell them you are new. I was afraid to do this, but it really reminds them to point out form when necessary and keep an eye on you so bad habits are developed. Look to your instructor, versus the people around you. As with anything, people have their own way of doing things, but usually the instructors are accurate. This may require sitting close to the front which newbies are typically afraid to do, but don’t cheat yourself. :smile:

Happy Spinning!
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a gel seat cover at Target or somewhere similar for around $12. It doesn't take away the pain completely, but it helps your pikachu and butt to not hurt as much the next day.

2. Take it easy for your first class. Just spin at your own pace. Don't worry about the people around you and the instructor with lightening legs. You'll get there.

3. Give it a full four classes before deciding whether or not you like it. Preferably within a week to a week and a half of each other. It truly becomes addicting.

4. Definitely get there early and talk to the instructor.

HAVE FUN!!!
  • MellyMelx23o
    Options
    I went for the first time this morning, and lets just say my *kitten* killing me! LoL It was fun, kind of hard but a good workout! :smile:
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    Bum hurts for a week, then it doesn't after that... don't know why, but seriously--- once you do it the 2nd time your fine!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    HYDRATE. Take a water bottle with you. In the first class focus on staying in class for the whole duration. Don't increase pace or resistance too much. Great thing about spin is that you don't have to get in to competition with anyone or try to match pace.

I have been told that for many people their Burt hurts from the hard seat. Mine never did.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Water and a towel are a most. Have the instructor setup your bike for you the first time, don't try to guess at it. Try to remember the settings so you'll know for next time. You'll eventually want to get a pair of chamois (padded) biking shorts. If you have a properly setup bike and good shorts pain should never be an issue for you.

...oh, and have fun! :)
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I LOVE spinning! Yes, your butt/vajayjay may hurt a little bit during class or after class but other than that, you will sweat so much have feel great afterwards. if you're nervous, I would follow what everyone else has said and just take it easy on the resistance but definitely try to do as much as you can so that you get the most out of the workout! HAVE FUN! :)
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with other posters - don't increase resistance as much as the instructor tells you, if at all. It's an intense workout and the seats hurt but it's great! Good luck and enjoy the feeling of achievement afterwards!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips.

1. Get there early and have instructor help set up bike.
    2. Gel seat pad to avoid "walking like you rode a horse all night" tomorrow
    3. Water and a towel
    4. Make sure to engage your core when you ride - don't lean on your wrists too hard on the handle bars. You should be able to ride without holding on and then just lightly touch for balance. If you lean on your wrists they will start to hurt as much as your butt!

Have fun!
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    1.you lower body will hurt like hell tomorrow but i promise you that is only the first time.

2. go at you own pace especially if its your first time if you need to take a break while everyone is standing peddling go ahead and sit down

3. bring water and a towel

4. use the music to get you through the class

5.. have fun

there is another tip i use to help me but since you are a lady it probably wont work for you
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sure here you go:

1) Buy a bike

2) Go outside
  • tracimorris
    tracimorris Posts: 18
    Options
    all of the above....and when you are in a standing position, it is actually easier if you add a little resistance. It helps hold you up. Hard to explain, but trust me, it helps. Enjoy your first spin class!
  • cgirlygirl
    cgirlygirl Posts: 49
    Options
    Go in with an open mind :) Ask the instructor to help you adjust your bike. TAKE WATER! And a towel. Consider investing ($15-20) in a padded seat cushion for bikes. My saved my @$$...literally :)

Mostly. JUST ENJOY! Spinning is AWESOME!
  • EmilyBullough
    EmilyBullough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised how much you hurt tomorrow from the seat...not just your butt, but also between your legs. I think it's fair to warn you. I was shocked after my first spin, and then again when I went to the second and it hurt to sit back down on that bike. All that said, though, I love spin class now that I'm used to the seat! If possible, have the instructor help you adjust the seat so it's the right height and so your knees don't hurt. Have fun, and if the seat is hurting you just stand up for a bit. Also bring water and a small towel, you'll be working hard.
  • amann1976
    Options
    one last bit of advice "hovering" is probably the worst burning pain you will ever feel in your life.

dont care how many times i take the class that move doesnt get any less painful
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. IMPORTANT As others said, Get there early and have the instuctor set up your bike. Proper set up is important to prevent injury. Remember the set up so you can do it for yourself the next time.

2. Don't expect to keep up with the class. There are moves that took me years to get down. Expect to not even to understand what to do at times. This takes time. When confused just peddle along at your own pace.

3, yes, your *kitten* will be sore. A gel seat helps. Some people do without but I will not get on a bike without one.

4. If you need to get off the bike before the class ends because it's too much for your first time, do so quietly and clean your bike. A little thank you wave to the instructor is appreciated.

5. Bring a towel and water.

6. Enjoy yourself!
  • amann1976
    Options
    You'll be surprised how much you hurt tomorrow from the seat...not just your butt, but also between your legs. I think it's fair to warn you. I was shocked after my first spin, and then again when I went to the second and it hurt to sit back down on that bike. All that said, though, I love spin class now that I'm used to the seat! If possible, have the instructor help you adjust the seat so it's the right height and so your knees don't hurt. Have fun, and if the seat is hurting you just stand up for a bit. Also bring water and a small towel, you'll be working hard.

it is not from the seat it is because your muscles are doing something new.