Finally started the C25K

Options
Monkeymin
Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
Yesterday I finally ignored my excuses voice and started the C25K and today I feel great for having done it. I am new to running as an adult as never progressed to the end in previous attempts.

This time I am determined. But would love some people who are on the same path for motivation. Anyone else just started week 1?

Replies

• damob81
    damob81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not starting week 1, I did it last year but stopped running earlier this year due to an injury. C25K is amazing. I actually began to look forward to my runs as I progressed. Just stick at it and you will see good results!
  • m_onamission
    m_onamission Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started last night - it's the third time I'm trying to do this, and this time I really want to go through with it!
  • nypa96
    nypa96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started last night with my friend and her daughter. I didn't think I was going to make it through the first night. But I did. I was super proud of myself. Not sure if I can make it to complete jogging, but I am sure going to give it a try.
  • angela1700
    angela1700 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! When you get to the longer runs at the end of the program, you will feel amazing! It is totally worth it in the end.
  • nicolawinehouse
    nicolawinehouse Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I first started I thought that Week 1 was so hard and now at Week 4 (with a break due to injury) I am finding myself able to run for 5 mins without too much effort. It's amazing just how quickly your fitness levels increase. It's such a rewarding programme.
  • dunhamlass
    dunhamlass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Count me in - going to start today but with achey joints its going to be hard!
    But the way I see it I'm in pain anyway so it will be no different just a better cause!!
    Please keep the encouragement up.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have done this but i didn't feel i needed to finish the actual app. I just went and ran 5k myself after week 4 or 5 but this was because i was too busy singing and missed the stop to walk chime! Stick it out and when it starts getting tough don't forget you can repeat weeks where needed. Make sure you have good running shoes that give you proper support. Try to run on grass instead of pavements to ease pressure on your joints until your body adapts. I say this because i got terrible shin splints and a long distance runner i know advised me to try running on grass. It did not stop me getting shin splints at first but it was not as crippling when i had been on a softer surface. And i now no longer get them THANK GAWD. Running is addictive and better still totally FREE!!! I would recommend this to everyone who wants to ease into running gradually. Good luck newb C25K'ers i am sure you will all kick *kitten* xxxx
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Count me in - going to start today but with achey joints its going to be hard!
    But the way I see it I'm in pain anyway so it will be no different just a better cause!!
    Please keep the encouragement up.

I find exercise eases up achey joints so push through it :) But not too hard!!
  • RooMcDermott
    RooMcDermott Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'M IN! I did this about 5 years ago and had never run in my life previous to starting and LOVED IT. I restarted yesterday too... let's start a 4/30/13 C25K group???
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    just started c25k this week too so im in!
  • GGut
    GGut Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think id like to join this as well. what do i need to do to join?
  • levelheadedgirl
    Options
    started tonight! feel free to add me for support.
  • lewy_038
    lewy_038 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just finished my last week 3 run!

I've never really done any running before (or exercise, for that matter) and had been making so many excuses not to do it. But the idea of being one of those people that 'goes out for a run' in the morning is just something I aspire to. I just never understood how people could be that motivated by exercise... I mean, it's hard!

Then I started C25K. And now I totally get it. I struggle with each of the runs, and I'm constantly wondering whether I'll be able to make it to the end of the run, but I do every time. And every time I'm so glad I did, because the buzz I get afterwards is AWESOME. I find myself contemplating skipping the rest day in between runs, just so that I can progress faster, and run more!

It's a bit tricky for me as I have exams coming up at uni, but I find getting up early to go out for a run really sets me up for the day. So much more energy!

Congratulations to anyone who has just started! I find that getting the motivation to actually do some exercise is one of the hardest parts. Looking forward to hearing about people's progress!
  • tanzz9
    tanzz9 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just started today too. I have never been a "runner" but always looked at those that were with awe. I love running it theory - it looks great! But... I hated it today. Week 1 Day 1 and I hated it!! The whole time I was thinking " am I insane? this isn't fun! This is torture!"

I was going to just... not do it (lol) but some awesome MFP buds convinced me to give it a go (a decent go... not just 1 day! lol) so I will. Can't promise I won't still hate it but i'll give it a go! Anyone embarking on this C25k journey can add me, i'd love to see how everyone else goes with it :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you all starting/doing C25K!! It may be hard at first but trust me, it does get better. Before you know it you are running 20-30 minutes and actually enjoying it. Pick a race that's after your expected completion date and sign up now, if you haven't already, to keep you motivated. That really helped me.

I finished last week and will keep building mileage. Already signed up for 6 more races leading up to a half-marathon later in the year. And I'm already researching full marathons to run next year - that's my ultimate goal.
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Not started yet but wanting to so could do with tips etc xx
  • Tuesday20
    Tuesday20 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I remember my first week 1 run... I felt like I was about to cough up both lungs, my face was on fire and my knees felt like they had been hit with a hammer! Today I did week 7 run 2, that's 25 minutes of solid running! It feels amazing!! I will admit I haven't always had time to do 3 runs a week, so it has taken 9 weeks for me to get this far. I feel fantastic, your stamina will improve ten fold and the sense of accomplishment is epic! Keep at it! :D
  • Tuesday20
    Tuesday20 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think id like to join this as well. what do i need to do to join?

Here is the link to the C25K site...

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

all you need are some trainers and an MP3 player... have fun!! ;)
  • shcald2010
    shcald2010 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok, I'm in for C25K; starting today! This will be a first for me, but looking forward to it
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1 yesterday and have enjoyed it. Admittedly I have been walking since January and could do 2 miles @ 4mph so week 1 didn't seem like much to me. I almost bumped up but everything I read said not to. I am looking forward to seeing if I can actually complete this. Good luck everyone!