BELLY OVERHANG? Possible to flatten or not?!

Options
Hi everyone, a quick post...

I have been concerned recently (although I am losing) that my overhang on my belly will not go away and I will be left with a saggy reminder of what used to be!!

I am 20 years old and am currently working out at the gym, cardio and weight training, but at the moment (because of my size/ shape/ health - I am 281 Ibs) I am not doing any core work. Obviously this will change when I get lighter, so can I work off the belly hang?

Any experience of knowledge is gratefully received!!

Amy

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaUJsSt_J6E

Replies

• sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    How quickly did you gain your weight? Was it steady and gradual? That makes a difference in the skins ability to snap back. Mine was totally wrecked from gaining over 100 pounds in three months- like seriously wrecked. BUT, for whatever reason my stomach actually isn't bad at all. Lots of stretch marks, but it's not hangy at all, and I've had a baby after losing all that weight to boot.

Also, you're young, so you've got that on your side as well. The belly will shrink, don't worry. If you're approaching your weight loss in a healthy and balanced manner you will be fine. And stay hydrated! Take care of your skin.

Start working on your core now- no reason to wait, seriously. It'll help with everything else you do, and tightening your core makes you look slimmer in general. I was doing planks at 275 pounds, and I'm glad that I did.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Only time will tell. I'm dealing with the same thing. Two babies, one by c-section, and my high weight was 215. And I'm older than you - 38. I'm doing the best I can and will have to deal with whatever my results are. I'm losing slowly, burning fat, and working my core. I started off with a very easy beginners pilates workout after I had surgery in November. I'll link it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2nTyxdKA4

Hang in there and keep making progress. You'll be happy with your results overall. Just don't try to lose like The Biggest Loser. Losing weight fast doesn't give your skin time to adjust.
  • AmyMadeUp
    AmyMadeUp Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been gaining the weight since I was a young teenager but i suppose the belly really started to come on when I was 16. I never weighed until I started MFP but when I was 16 I was a size 16 and now I am 20 I am a size 22 give or take. (UK sizes)

I went up 3-4 dress sizes in 4 years. :(
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You are young so odds are in your favor it will snap back. Please take care of your health now. I waited until my 40's to lose the weight for good and feel like half my life was wasted being fat and miserable. Do everything you can now to lose weight and get healthy. After I lost 200 pounds I had to have plastic surgery, but I am 46 and my skin did not bounce back.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Mine went away within about 2 months of doing cardio, then my waist really started shrinking from there. I'm 22. It's completely achievable, we have youth on our side!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I lost my belly just finenwith no over hang at age 53-- i lost 46 pounds and have kept it off for almost 13 months. I did a lot of walking and yoga.. I did a lot of standing arm twists and core strengthening and not one single traditional "crunch". Check out the wii fit yoga or some of the you tube "barre" classes.

Good luck and congrats on making your health a lidfe long priority!
  • HHackney
    HHackney Posts: 9
    Options
    This is a subject I could go one about for hours. My belly was completely destroyed by my twins so that the more weight I lose the more overhang I have. Because of that, once I reach my goal, I'm going to get a tummy tuck. But that's just me.

Time will tell if your stomach will end up flat or you will end up with overhang. Since you are so young your skin should snap back pretty easily so stay on track and give it time.