Hummus?

Options
nsagley
nsagley Posts: 84 Member
I've never tried hummus and was wondering what it tastes like and what do you eat it with?

Replies

• MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    It tastes like chick peas with various spices and flavors. Cant really say what it tastes like but it's good. I like to eat with crackers, veggies, pita chips, add to sandwiches instead of mayo.

I will say this, not all Hummus is created equally. try different flavors and brands.
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You're missing out - i would describe it as having a nutty taste with a creamy texture (but texture can vary to be more chunky). Also you can get lots of differnet varieties that change the taste, i.e. roasted red pepper, chilli, lemon & coriander, etc.

I've just had some for lunch - mixed it with grated carrot and used it as a sandwich filler! But equally as good on it's own, with salad or as a dip with tortillas or veggies.

Enjoy!
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I make my own with roasted garlic. Oh soo good. I like to dip pita bread into it or spread some on my pita and add diced tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions to make a wrap. Now I'm hungry for that.
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    Just be careful as hummus has oil in it and can be very high in calories as it is easy to eat too much. Make your own and monitor the oil added,
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Usually dip tortillas in it. Very good flavors out there.
  • HHackney
    HHackney Posts: 9
    Options
    I was worried about trying it because I was afraid of what it would taste like, but honestly, it's just bean dip that tastes a little different.

That being said though, in the two years since I first tried it I have become all but obsessed with it. I love the stuff and can even make my own now.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Basic Recipe. Drain one can Chick Peas or Garbonzos. Put beans, 2 Tablespoons olive oil(or veg oil), 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice in blender or food processor. Whirl until smooth. You can add more oil to smooth. Add ins are limitless. Spices, garlic, peppers.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just try it. I love it (another addict here) but my hubby and my family all hate it. Ha, more for me!
    Yes, it can be quite calorific, but if you buy the good stuff (or make it yourself, it is quite easy) the fat is from natural oils so it can be healthy too.
    I eat it with cucumbers (dip) if I need to watch my calories or on bread or melba. I use it as a base for chicken wraps and just love, love, love it. If you make it yourself you can mix in peppers or coriander (or whatever you like) to change the taste (yum yum)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Here at work we (collectively) always have hummus and baby carrots in the fridge. We prefer Otria Hummus Veggie Dip in a variety of flavors. 60 cal for 2 tablespoons. Great snack!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love it. I can't think of anything else that it tastes like. I use it as a dip, celery, vegetables, wholesome crackers etc. I also can roll up in a lettuce leaf and eat like that. Its great stuff. They do make it low fat, but, you have to look for it. I also, often make my own....it just depends.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    hummus hummus hummus

mmmmmmm!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    try the Sabra brand, roasted red pepper :-) Just try it! I eat it with Snack Factory pretzel crisps.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I tried Hummus to find something healthy to snack on, but it is tooo good. It does not help when you give up other things and eat 300-500 calories per sitting of Hummus instead. It is addicting, be careful.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I make my own because I like to keep it low fat. If you cook the chick peas in a small crock pot over night, you can use the liquid left in the crock pot to thicken your hummus, instead of oil. I make mine with Chick peas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. It's delicious.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I really like it. It really tastes like a more "mellow" bean dip with a very luxuroius texture.

I really like to make it myself, but the brands Oasis and Sabra are the better ones at the grocer imo.

It's really good on sandwiches, with veggies, or with pita bread/crackers.

I'd recommend trying it for sure.
  • gregpasq
    gregpasq Posts: 14
    Options
    I can never understand why people are "afraid" to try new foodstuffs.....must be a boring life to eat the same crap over and over again. Hate to be Cap'n Obvious, but you'll never know if you like something until you try it....icky taste or not.
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You can make it at home! Blend together chickpeas, a little water, fresh garlic and spices like cumin (whatever you like). Some people use olive oil but I personally don't. It is a great substitute for any type of condiment on wraps, sandwiches etc. Google recipes... it's super easy to make!
  • c_faulkenburg
    c_faulkenburg Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hummus is great with everything! Veggies, tortilla chips, pita..
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I used to try my nose up at even the thought of hummus,...but then I tried it...I LOVE IT!! I have it ALL THE TIME. It's healthy and I dip my baby carrots and cherry tomatoes in it!!! I recently have gone wheat free but I used to also eat pita with hummus. I hope you find a kind you like! Originial hummus is great, I am also a big fan of roasted red pepper hummus. They are not spicy!
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It tastes like heaven, there is no other way to describe it. Especially with raw carrots or pita chips.