Good afternoon :) I have a few ? re-pregnancy.

Hi everyone,

I have been on mfp for a while now, and my weight is pretty high. I had previously lost 40lb on here, but I gave up and distaster.. It's all back and more!

The other thing is I was hoping to lose some weight before my Wedding, which is this September.
Now the biggy, I've just found out I'm Pregnant! Due around this coming new year.

What I'm curious about it, is it ok to still follow a diet? I know during pregnancy you can be expected to gain up to 20lb, but considering I'm already a unhealthy weight.. Would there be any harm in still trying to eat my daily calorie allowance, and a little extra? I'm hoping to continue swimming, and do some walking.. What I mean is, is it a bad thing if during the time I do lose some of my plus+ lb's even if I am eating a healthy diet and getting the right nutrients for my baby? #

Would love to hear what you think, and make some friends along the way. I want to keep my pregnancy as healthy as possible, I'm just worried my weight now my be a problem for the baby's safety x

Replies

• smereu
    smereu Posts: 1 Member
    Hi and congratulations on your wedding and pregnancy! Unfortunately, pregnancy is not the time to go on a weight-loss diet, but you might end up loosing some weight along the way. Check out this article about the topic and good luck!
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_plus-size-and-pregnant-how-to-manage-your-weight-during-preg_1313887.bc
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Previous poster is right, shouldn't go on diet to lose weight while pregnant. Also isn't the time to start a new exercise routine that's more challenging than what you're currently used to. Although usually walking is fine, so I'd just try to walk more. But definitely talk to your doctor about what he recommends for you. There will always be time for getting back in shape later.
  • mzprettiekittie
    mzprettiekittie Posts: 125 Member
    Thanks :) I've got a feeling that maybe, just eating healthier will help anyway. Rather than just setting out to still lose weight, but to think more about the choices I'm making.

For instance, I would often skip meals and just eat snacks, like potato crisps and or cookies depending on how I was feeling.if I couldn't be bothered to cook for myself.

Now I know what ever I eat is contributing to my baby's growth and health, I've already been making much better choices.
    Now If I really can't be bothered to cook, I know it's not just for me, so the best thing is to eat a well balanced meal.

I've already cut back on things like my coffee salt and saturated fat intake. I just I want to keep as healthy as possible during this pregnancy x
  • mzprettiekittie
    mzprettiekittie Posts: 125 Member
    Yeah I won't be doing anything I wouldn't normally do.

I have Lymphodema, so I have to be careful when it comes to exercise and doing to much. I have been swimming three times as week now up until I found out I was pregnant, the doctor says I'm fine to continue this routine, as much as I still feel I can do it :)

Basically I just want to stay healthy and make the right choices. x