calling fellow nightshifters...

Options
Jokenmit
Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
Hey guys..I work overnight, 10 pm to 8 am, and am not entirely sure I should be logging my meals. I eat backwards... when I get up at 7 pm, I eat supper with the family. Have lunch at 3 am, and eat breakfast before I go to bed at 10 am. I count all calories on, or for, the day I woke up in. Confused? So am I! LOL any suggestions? or am I doing this right? Welcome the comments. Thanks :)

Replies

• fivecardstud
    Options
    I work nights too. I just added an extra category to my menu. I just titled it Late Night at Work. I work 10p-7a. I usually eat around 12 after I get to work, then try to have a light snack a few hours later. Sometimes I eat right when I get out of work, sometimes I don't. Depends on how I feel, as I am at the gym by 10a. I'll have something light when I get out. Then eat dinner.

I say if it works for you, then keep doing it. Maybe add another category on your menu to account for a night shift.
    Jessica
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    You need to do what works for you, it is trial and error. I work swing shift and on my two overnight shifts I have an extra category added for that time. I start my day at breakfast no matter what day it is. My diary is open if you want to look. BTW you should come check out the nightshift thread, there are many nightshift workers on MFP and it is a place to chat and be silly mostly.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/967749-official-nightshift-thread?page=12#posts-14903893
  • PJT614
    PJT614 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    30 lbs lost - I'd say you are doing it right. It works for you.
  • beloved29
    beloved29 Posts: 1
    Options
    i work nightshift too, but it usually confusing to work on the daily menu. I like the way you set up your menu by eating dinner before you start your shift and lunch later. I will try that too hopefully it will works for me too.
  • SuZQz173
    SuZQz173 Posts: 37
    Options
    Former night-shifter myself and can't stop being on that "shift" though retired.

I just use from when I wake up, even if noon or 2 pm is breakfast.

Use what-ever makes sense for you, for what you call each meal.

Way to go on the weight-loss.
  • JessieLynn00
    JessieLynn00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A lot of my meals aren't put in under the right category but the way I figure it..at least they're there. I figure in what ever I eat at night as my last meal of the day and then if i eat when i get home in the am i consider that a new day.
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you should log your meals.When you wake up at 7pm I would log that as your breakfast (even tho its dinner food), next meal lunch and the meal you have at 10am dinner. Some people that may look at your diary may be confused, but as long as you know what it is....I think thats all that matters.
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies for the insight. fell free to add me if you wish..can always use more MPF friends :)