My fitness pendulum w/ story and pics

Options
It's amazing how much your emotional well being can impact your physical well being!

In order from Left to right with current pic on the bottom....

The first three photos were taken almost 5 years ago while I was deployed. I was able to get into the best shape of my life and felt unstoppable!

The fourth picture is from almost exactly 2 years ago. I think I went through almost every kind of misfortune a person can go through from 2007 to 2011! Shortly after getting back from my deployment I was diagnosed with cancer, malignant melanoma to be exact. It also turned out that I would go through a divorce and be diagnosed with 2 more malignant melanoma's. Fortunately each melanoma was caught early enough that invasive removal of the affected skin was all it took to remove it.

While going through the surgeries and divorce I fell into depression that led to alcohol addiction. Because of my depression I started cutting myself off from my friends and I was stationed thousands of miles away from any family while going through all this. I was able to get through the alcohol problems when I requested help and went to treatment but the depression was still there.

I turned towards online video games... never thought that could become an addiction but at that time of my life I guess it was the perfect situation to allow for another addiction to set in. As soon as I got off work all I wanted to do was play a video game until I went to sleep just to wake up and do it all over again. This went on for quite some time and was largely happening because of my depression. I think it was more of a way to escape the things that were getting me down.

Staying clean and sober, and finally getting to come back home my mom died suddenly, I was only back home for a couple months.... This was very hard on me and to put the icing on the cake my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer which he fought the good fight but lost after 8 months of therapy and radiation. I was unemployed for almost a year and a half, living with my grandmother and helping her take care of my grandfather. Helping her take care of him was just another way for me to not look at myself.

Shortly after he passed away I felt like I woke up from a coma.... I couldn't find anything to give my attention to and it became harder and harder for me to not realize I needed to make a change for me....

The 4th picture was taken the day I realized I needed to make a change and I knew that fitness would make me feel better both physically and emotionally.

The final picture is my current picture! I feel so lucky to be married again, to still be alive, and to feel healthy again!

I made the mistake of letting life get me down, thankfully I snapped out of it eventually but I hope anyone that reads this that is having a tough time in their life and/or struggling with their health and fitness goals can find some motivation in this.

No matter how hard life is hitting you, keep the fight in you alive!

Pics here >>> http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mdflows/media/FitnessPendulum_zps67f0b3d1.jpg.html

Replies

• clubben2k
    clubben2k Posts: 29
    Options
    Update - First off apologies couldn't find a way to attach my photos which is why I left a photobucket link at the bottom.

Also the weight difference from the first three photos to the last went from 185ish pounds up to 230 pounds. Currently I'm at 200 pounds!
  • bajanrosa
    bajanrosa Posts: 23
    Options
    Wow you've been through some tough **** an I wouldn't usually use a term like that but that is what it was. You a remarkably brave to fight for your country and then also go back right into hell on earth. I'm happy that you got back to you you look awesome I hope you keep it up!!! :smile:
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Definitely a great transformation story! You have been through a lot and come out stronger in the end! Great job! :)
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much your emotional well being can impact your physical well being!

In order from Left to right with current pic on the bottom....

The first three photos were taken almost 5 years ago while I was deployed. I was able to get into the best shape of my life and felt unstoppable!

The fourth picture is from almost exactly 2 years ago. I think I went through almost every kind of misfortune a person can go through from 2007 to 2011! Shortly after getting back from my deployment I was diagnosed with cancer, malignant melanoma to be exact. It also turned out that I would go through a divorce and be diagnosed with 2 more malignant melanoma's. Fortunately each melanoma was caught early enough that invasive removal of the affected skin was all it took to remove it.

While going through the surgeries and divorce I fell into depression that led to alcohol addiction. Because of my depression I started cutting myself off from my friends and I was stationed thousands of miles away from any family while going through all this. I was able to get through the alcohol problems when I requested help and went to treatment but the depression was still there.

I turned towards online video games... never thought that could become an addiction but at that time of my life I guess it was the perfect situation to allow for another addiction to set in. As soon as I got off work all I wanted to do was play a video game until I went to sleep just to wake up and do it all over again. This went on for quite some time and was largely happening because of my depression. I think it was more of a way to escape the things that were getting me down.

Staying clean and sober, and finally getting to come back home my mom died suddenly, I was only back home for a couple months.... This was very hard on me and to put the icing on the cake my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer which he fought the good fight but lost after 8 months of therapy and radiation. I was unemployed for almost a year and a half, living with my grandmother and helping her take care of my grandfather. Helping her take care of him was just another way for me to not look at myself.

Shortly after he passed away I felt like I woke up from a coma.... I couldn't find anything to give my attention to and it became harder and harder for me to not realize I needed to make a change for me....

The 4th picture was taken the day I realized I needed to make a change and I knew that fitness would make me feel better both physically and emotionally.

The final picture is my current picture! I feel so lucky to be married again, to still be alive, and to feel healthy again!

I made the mistake of letting life get me down, thankfully I snapped out of it eventually but I hope anyone that reads this that is having a tough time in their life and/or struggling with their health and fitness goals can find some motivation in this.

No matter how hard life is hitting you, keep the fight in your alive!

Pics here >>> FitnessPendulum_zps67f0b3d1.jpg

Amazing result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ETA: looks like someone else fixed the IMG tags for you ;)
  • clubben2k
    Options
    seems one of the pics got cut off but either way thanks for attaching them for me, much appreciated, and thanks for the nice comments folks. I'll post more (hopefully) attached next time as I progress!
  • aperrillioux
    aperrillioux Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! Thank you for sharing!!! You look great :happy:
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    glad you made it through to the otherside!:flowerforyou:
  • AngelaPesta17
    Options
    Way to go!!!! You're looking great! Awesome motivation for the rest of us!
  • bsmithmia
    bsmithmia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your service and congratulations on finding yourself again.
  • clubben2k
    Options
    Thank you all for the nice comments, it means a lot to know that others may find inspiration or motivation from my story. Everyone has their life stories and many that have overcome far more than what I had to.

Thanks for the compliments as well, it's a work in progress and I'm glad to have my focus on my health again instead of putting it in last place.
  • madmax0412
    madmax0412 Posts: 65
    Options
    Man, you've been through the ringer!

But way to fight through it and thanks for sharing what you've been through.

It's a huge help to I'm sure a lot of us that may be going through anything even remotely similar.

You look great and even better you sound like you're "in a good space" as they say.

It's amazing how if you only included headshots how easily it would be to deduce your fitness level. It's all in the face.

Thanks again!
  • clubben2k
    Options
    You're right about the face, it's amazing how much it changes through different fitness levels, thanks for the comment.
  • denisetatum
    denisetatum Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow what an inspiring story. Thanks for your service to our country.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    you are such an inspiration, congrats!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Every time someone I know gives me a sop story about how hard their life is I will point them in your direction. After all of that you came out on top, so can they.
  • SebsDad2012
    Options
    Pure craziness what you went through, condolences on the losses you've gone through in the past. Also a big thank you for the time and effort you put in to the service, many talk about it but only a few actually live it. It really is truly inspiring to see the changes that you've gone through. Reading your story and seeing your photos have only further strengthened my resolve to keep digging deeper. I am currently on Day #3 of the Insanity program. It hurts, in a good way, but I know I've gotta keep going. I wanted to share something that was told to me earlier today:

"IT'S NOT ABOUT PERFECT. IT'S ABOUT EFFORT. AND WHEN YOU IMPLEMENT THAT EFFORT INTO YOUR LIFE... EVERY SINGLE DAY, THAT'S WHERE TRANSFORMATION HAPPENS. THAT'S HOW CHANGE OCCURS. KEEP GOING! REMEMBER WHY YOU STARTED"
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    wow, you really have come a long way!! Amazing results from all your hard work and consistency!!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    way to battle through it, and youo look great!
  • luvs2read1979
    luvs2read1979 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Lots of trials and tribulations in your life over the last few years - not everyone could survive it! Kudos to you for getting the help you needed.

Your picture transformation is awesome! Hope you continue to heal mentally, emotionally, and stay in shape. Congrats on your success thus far!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!