I'm at a major plateau & desperately need help!

Options
I can't seem to lose this last 20 or so lbs. I've been up and down a couple of lbs since sometime around October last year. I'm lost. I changed my calories to 1200 about two weeks ago and that didn't work. Granted, I don't always eat perfectly, but as many calories as I burn, this weight should have BEEN gone! I was 213 and I lost 30 lbs in the beginning part of last year (January-May) but I wasn't on MFP then. I just ate what I felt was good enough and worked out daily. Actually, I probably ate worse than I do now. I now weigh 183 (5'7) but my weight has been pretty much stagnant since I joined MFP. Any thoughts/suggestions? I'm irritated with my body. I've put my calories back up to 1670...I'm not sure how this will work. HELP ME :sad:

Replies

• ashleyoh33
    ashleyoh33 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Same general issue here...I started out at 233 and lost 40 lbs in about 5 months. Now I'm sitting pretty at 185...have been for the past 5 weeks. Getting really frustrated but not giving up. I think mine has a lot to do with lack of sleep and working 18 hour days making it hard to get to the gym and eat real food...lots of processed food here. I have not given up though, and don't plan on it. Just hoping I can start getting some sleep and move out of this plateau soon. Sorry I didn't offer any advice to help you, but know you're not alone. Good luck!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Keep your cals where you have them now, keep your workouts going and see where you are in 2-3 weeks. Your body will need at least that much time to register the adjustment.

Also, make sure that you are drinking enough water and that your meals are balanced (enough fruits/veggies/protein/healthy fat).

You've lost 30lbs already, so you KNOW you can do this.

Also, whip out the tape measurer and see where you are inch-wise.
    My scale hasnt budged in about 3 weeks, but my used-to-be-too-tight pants are now falling off of me...

Good luck and dont lose sight of your goal!
  • JustCallMe_Lee
    Options
    thanks!! i will see how this goes
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It is much harder to lose it when you are thinner than when you are heavy. Your own body was burning because it was heavy before. Expect this to take much longer than the weight you lost when you were starting out. Just remember, it's not a race. It's for the rest of your life. I know it's hard to watch the scale not move, but it's good training for when you are in maintenance. Patience, Grasshopper.
  • JustCallMe_Lee
    Options
    thanks! I seriously needed to hear the part about it being a life change rather than a race! I get caught up in wanting quick results by summer and forget about the coming years.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

^^ both of those threads have great advice. Try calculating your TDEE and eating there for at least 2 weeks and you might be surprised. You might not be eating enough for your activity level. Keep at it! You've come this far already. :)
  • misseseaj2010
    Options
    I have heard alot about "zig zagging" your calories to get past a plateau. Or eating your calories by a weekly average instead of the same amount everyday, which is basically the same thing.

Just for an example, if you typically eat 1600c eat 1400c one day then 1800c the next the average is 1600. But I have been doing it like 4 low days 3 high days. Mon-thurs lower calorie days and fri-sun higher calorie days.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    After eating too little and then eating more with little success both ways (scale success, I have been losing inches), I decided to make it simple and eat a deficit from my daily burn. Since I have Body media, I know my number each day. My average burn is 2250, so I eat about 1750 a day. Not losing 1 pound a week like the math would indicate, it is more like 1/2 pound , but I will take it. I don't have that much to lose so it will be slow for me
    Check out Bodymedia website and see if this may work for you. You do pay a monthly fee and the device is worn around your arm with a strap- bothersome when wearing short sleeves.
    Good luck to you, keep plugging away:wink:
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    Options
    Maybe you were eating less overall when you ate intuitively. I know I do. Maybe just go back to that for two weeks and see what happens.
  • SlimDown4Good
    Options
    I hit a 2 month plateau Jan & Feb - by March I knew I needed to do something completely different. I followed The Body Reset Diet (15 day program) which includes drinking healthy smoothies and eating 2 snacks daily- the scale finally moved and I lost 9 pounds between mid March and mid April. The last 2 weeks have been no loss really but I'm not worried about it.

I continue to eat 5 times daily. One thing I am learning this time is to have patience and allow my body to adjust during the weight loss cycle. In the meantime I continue to make the best food choice I can daily, often planning far in advance.

I feel fantastic no matter what the scale says. :) I really like this new healthy lifestyle.

You got this girl -
  • JustCallMe_Lee
    Options

THIS!! Interesting info! according to this I'm eating way too little calories. Hmm..
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

THIS!! Interesting info! according to this I'm eating way too little calories. Hmm..

I know everyone is different but just as an example since following this advice and my TDEE i have lost 18lbs of FAT in 5 weeks while building some muscle and strengthening all over so long as i eat under my calorie set which is TDEE -20% and i fit into my macros and keep to 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fats i eat what i want. you just need to remember this is a lifestyle change not a temporary fix and you'll be fine

I use to under eat and over exercise causing fatigue, mood swings injuries just felt like crap all the time
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal, the more difficult it gets. Have patience, have faith in that you're doing the right things, and log everything down to the condiments. Make sure your intake numbers are accurate too.

I know MFP's numbers for me (I felt) were a bit low, and I was always hungry, but Weight Watchers numbers were a little higher, and I'm still losing weight. SO, I consider MFP the minimum, and WW numbers the max.

For what it's worth - and good luck!
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I posted this a while back:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

I think you are under eating and stalled your body - maybe this will help you!
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have heard alot about "zig zagging" your calories to get past a plateau. Or eating your calories by a weekly average instead of the same amount everyday, which is basically the same thing.

Just for an example, if you typically eat 1600c eat 1400c one day then 1800c the next the average is 1600. But I have been doing it like 4 low days 3 high days. Mon-thurs lower calorie days and fri-sun higher calorie days.

Yes I agree with you.

.I am starting this this week. One day a week i will eat at maintenance..i read that if long term on a calorie deficit..it slows metabolism. I suggest give it some time and lift a little weight if you arent already :)
  • ainsleybtown
    ainsleybtown Posts: 484
    Options
    Here is what the owner of my gym (hi end fitness) sent me this morning.

Your workouts are dialed in, and your body is rapidly becoming leaner and more attractive. Friends and family notice and you feel fantastic.

And then it stops.

You are doing everything exactly the same as before except your body no longer responds.

You, my friend, have hit a plateau. It's a frustrating place to be parked, so read the following 5 steps to get your body back into results mode.

Step #1: Reduce Sugar. A very effective way to restart your results is to reel in your sugar intake. Inspect all of your food for added sugars and eliminate items that contain high calorie sweeteners. This means no sugar, corn syrup, honey or maple syrup. Reduce the processed sugar as low as you can.

Be realistic too! :) You can`t live the rest of your life without having sugar. I suggest allowing yourself one day a week to indulge freely or take a couple oportunities a week where you can relax and enjoy it. Reduce processed sugar as much as you can through out your average day. Allow controlled oportunities to fit into your healty lifestyle.

If your diet is to high in processed sugar then making this change can be difficult initially. You are going to have to adjust your other macro nutrients accordingly to ultimately be successful.

Step #2: Get More Sleep. We are supposed to get an average of eight hours of sleep each night. If you're not getting adequate amounts of rest, you're more likely to be hungry, overeat, and gain weight.

When you're tired, you don't feel like cooking a healthy meal, and you're more likely to opt for fast (fattening) food. Then your lack of energy causes you to skip your workouts. And to make matters worse, sleep deprivation causes your metabolism to slow down, slowing or reversing your results. To beat your plateau, make sleep a priority.

Having trouble sleeping? Your diet could be low in an essential oil, vitamin, mineral or nutrient. Perhaps something you are eating is no longer appropriate for your body. Maybe you can benefit from the stress benefits of meditation. Your outlook on things can make all the difference here! :)

Step #3: Drink Only Water. To restart your results you'll need to make some changes. Sorry, but some of the changes aren't going to be fun. If you're one of the millions hooked on soda, alcohol, or other sweetened beverages, then your plateau will stay locked in place until you replace these drinks with water.

Keep in mind that your brain often confuses thirst with hunger. So at the first sign of hunger, don't grab a snack or calorie-filled drinks. Instead, grab a glass of water. Perhaps dehydration is actually contributing to you over eating.

Step #4: Eat Healthy Breakfast. But not just any breakfast. Your plateau-breaking breakfast should be low in carbs and high in protein. Try eggs, lean breakfast meats, a protein shake, or a mini-muffin made with almond flour.

Fitting breakfast into your busy morning may take some work, but research shows that the habit of eating a healthy breakfast is key to losing weight and keeping pounds off. Set your alarm 15 minutes earlier to give yourself time to eat breakfast or choose a quick alternative before you run out the door.

Step #5: Increase Exercise Intensity. It's time to start taking your workouts more seriously. No more going through the motions, it's all-out for you. If you want to get back on track with your body transformation, and to keep the fat melting away, then increase the amount and intensity of your exercise routine.

For most people, this is the most difficult lifestyle change of all, but the benefits are enormous. Try to get 30 to 60 minutes of intense exercise on most days of the week. When exercise is a normal part of your everyday routine, you're more likely to stick with it, and your body will become slimmer and more toned.

The quickest and most permanent way to beat that plateau is through a combination of healthy eating and consistent, challenging workouts.
  • queenprog
    queenprog Posts: 10
    Options
    Ladies, anytime that we stay at a weight for a long time, on the way up, we do the same going down. Be proud of what you've accomplished so far. You can change your workout routine or your intake, to try nudging yourself off the plateau, but in the end your body will decide on its own when it's time to get off the plateau.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing in January and I didn't break my plateau until I upped my calories and started paying closer attention to my macros. I made sure that I at 40 % carbs 40 %protein and 20 % fat, then it picked up big time, in February and March. April it slowed down again, So now I'm tweaking my macros to 35 % carbs 45% protein 20 % fat. Can't wait to see how it goes. I have been losing tons of inches though, which I'm very proud of regardless of what the scales says right now but I still would like to get to goal sooner than later...LOL!!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Here is some food for thought:

As we become more lean and exercise becomes part of our regular routine, that exercise is essentially included in our base calorie burn for the day. So eating back exercise calories can begin to cause a plateau or a gain. It's time to ramp up the exercise and adjust your daily goals. You will find what works best for you, but remember you are a much healthier person now that you are exercising daily...