INSANITY! How are you doing? (TIPS EXCHANGE?)

Options
I thought I'd set this post up for people to share their tips on their experience with Insanity to help others doing Insanity out a little. I am on day 3 of week 1 and would love all the tips I can get. How are you finding it?

I'll start it off with some things I would love to know! :happy:

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor?
2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own?
3. How do you protect / condition your muscles?
4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore?

:happy:

Replies

• Madmen4
    Madmen4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1. NO, use a watch or clock or the counter on a treadmill etc. Heart monitor not necessary IMHO. Nice if you want to use one, but counting your own heartbeat works just as well
    2. I set up my own "common sense" eating program based on my age, level of activity etc. I monitor 1600 cal., 35 grams of fat and 200 grams of protein daily. Plus I get 5-6 days a week of cardio and resistance work (with my trainer)
    3.Go slow in the beginning. You didn't get in bad shape overnight--conversely you won't lose weight and get back in shape overnight either. It is a long disiplined journey. Set goals for food etc, and weight loss. Don't fall into that "starve yourself diet" trap. You need to eat enough calories to support your metabolism at rest plus exercise. Otherwise your body will think that it is starving and will store fat.
    4. YES. Work through it. I have had sore muscles for 3.5 months since beginning my fitness program again. I have lost 31 lbs and 8" around the waist. It is uncomfortable at first, but as your muscles flex some, you will be fine. But, don't confuse an injury with "sore muscles"

BUT: remember that what works for me does not necessarily mean that it will work for you. Get some help from a pro. I am not a pro, but I have done this program before 18 years ago, before I got lazy and stopped nutrition and exercise and got fat and sloppy again.
    Figure out what works for you and stick to it. Portion control is a key element in eating.
  • HAPage24
    HAPage24 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I finished day 3 of week 2 today. Here are my answers to your questions.

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? I do use a Heart Rate Monitor, but only to push myself to be better than I was the previous time I did the workout (Although I find this to be a distraction sometimes)
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? I am partly following the Elite Nutrition Guide and partly using common sense.
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? Work to your own fitness level. Remember that those on the DVD have already completed a round of Insanity prior to the taping of the video. Be sure to eat clean to nourish your body this will in turn help nourish your body.
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? I agree with the below, work through the muscle soreness, once you are warmed up your muscles will loosen up.

Feel free to add me as a friend, we can encourage each other through the workouts.
  • gorgeoouslady
    Options
    I am on Day 3 of week 1 to do Cardio Power and Resistance today.

Yes, I use a heart rate monitor include burn calorie.

No, I don't follow Shaun T's diet plan. I stick my own diet as like breakfast on my own, snack in mid morning, one green smoothie in afternoon, snack in mid afternoon and dinner.

I started to workout last February on my own until I got Insanity, got sore muscles. I got bengay pain relieving gel on my thigh and calves and took pill before bedtime, it will reduce sore in the morning.

Yes, I still work out if my muscles are sore even sick and cramp from time of month for woman (lol)

Add me as friend if you would like and support each other as we are in boat on day 3 of week 1.
  • Kargbz
    Kargbz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hiya ive just done day three of week one so im looking forward to some recovery tomorrow.

yes I use a HRM it helps me keep tract of the approx. cal burn , then i can adjust my cal intake if neccessary.

I've been doing a mix , smaller more often high protein meals but my own recipes.

I use an ankle support (old achilles tendon injury) , a pair of good trainers and a floor mat if your not doing it on carpet..

Yup my muscles have been sore since I started lol so day 2 and day 3 were a little taxing but i was still able to keep up x
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? Yes, religiously polar ft7

2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? No but I am going to start shakeology this month.

3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? I stretch.. I was only sore for the first 2 days in my back.

4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Yes, I work out everyday, sometimes twice a day.. arms hurt right now from recovery week but I still go...
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    This is my second round of Insanity . . . today is Day 9:

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? YES a Sportline DUO 1010 Women's Heart Rate Monitor
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? MY Own - high protein/veggies/green smoothies and as clean as possible
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? Protein shake after workout, take rest days, baths are nice
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? YES no pain no gain
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm on Day 39 of Insanity aka Day 4 of Month 2 :)

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? No, I'm a poor student lol.

2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? No, but I calculated my cals based on Shaun T's diet plan and am slowly working my way up to them. Before Insanity and during the first 2 weeks I ate at 1300 and found myself with no energy by the end of the day (I do my workouts in the morning). According to the diet plan, I should be eating 1675. I'm currently at 1500 and working my way up, but I feel SO much more energized during and after my workouts!

3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? Extra stretches if I need to. My floor is hardwood, so I wear running shoes and use a thin yoga mat. I did the first 2 days of Insanity in barefeet and my back was so sore!

4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Since I do my workouts in the morning, I usually try again in the evening if they're too sore in the morning. Or I just take it a little easier so I don't strain myself.

I've seen really good results with Insanity so far and I'm hoping there's even more to come in month 2! Good luck on your Insanity journey! If you stick with it and work hard, I'm sure it will be very rewarding :)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd set this post up for people to share their tips on their experience with Insanity to help others doing Insanity out a little. I am on day 3 of week 1 and would love all the tips I can get. How are you finding it?

I'm going to skip your questions since they are getting answered. I'm just going to give you my advice. I have 2 days left of my first round. I plan to do it again after a 6 week program I have planned to build more muscle in my shoulders and upper back.

1 - Throw your scale away!!! You are going to have to go by measurements and how your clothes fit with this program.

2 - Go at your own pace. If you try to follow the people on the DVD you will likely get discouraged IF you don't hurt yourself.

3 - Make sure you are eating enough. I can't stress how important this is. Insanity takes a lot so you have to make sure you are getting the right amount of fuel.

4 - Know the difference between sore and hurt. I had to repeat week 4 due to an illness that landed me in bed for 3 days. I had to take last week off due to tendinitis flaring in my knees making it difficult for me to get through my regular day. If I'm just sore I push through it.

5 - Don't be afraid to add a protein shake to your diet, it helps, particularly after a workout.

6 - This program can be addictive. You will see lots of people on here who have done this multiple times. Or plan on running it back to back.

Enjoy the burn, it's a good one!!!
  • Michow08
    Michow08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity as well and just looked at the diet plan and figured in how many calories I should eat a day and holy crap - 2,000 calories?!? Is that really necessary to eat that many calories??
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Alison! :flowerforyou:

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? I use a Polar FT 4. I need to learn how to remove the beeping b/c it throws me off sometimes. LOL
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? Right now, I'm doing my own thing. I'm trying to do low carb -HIGH protein. I do have Shakeology at home that I plan on using within the next few weeks.
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? I ALWAYS do my stretches. Plus I do BIKRAM yoga a few days a week so I get the heat/stretch in one. I also go at my own pace. I dig deep but I stay in my lane. It would be INSANE of me to try to keep up with people like TANYA on the vid.
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Yes I do. There is a difference between sore & PAIN. I've learned through yoga that I have to push through. My body won't adapt/accept new limits unless I push.

I'm still fairly new into this round. Month 1, Day 4 - Cardio Recovery tonight.
    Anyone, feel free to add me if you're looking for a buddy! :smile:
  • chrisvinci
    chrisvinci Posts: 49
    Options
    On number 4, make sure its just muscle soreness before you continue pressing on. I've had some tendon issues which i mistook as muscle problems and had to take a few weeks off to repair.
  • Bhabs10
    Bhabs10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in the recovery week doing Core Cardio and Balance.

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? Yes so I can be accountable for what I'm actually burning.
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? No, I don't follow the diet plan. I eat (or try to at least) within my daily calorie limit
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? I stretch
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Yes, I still worked out with sore muscles. In the first couple days my calves were SUPER sore but I just kept pushing on, they stopped hurting and I started walking like a normal human again in a day or two.

Good luck!!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity as well and just looked at the diet plan and figured in how many calories I should eat a day and holy crap - 2,000 calories?!? Is that really necessary to eat that many calories??

It all depends on the person. Here's what I did...

Week 1 - 1200 calories = exhausted, grumpy, unmotivated. Lost nothing
    Weeks 2-3 - 1400 calories = not as tired, not grumpy, not really motivated after working out. Lost a couple pounds and inches

Discovered a BMR - TDEE Thread

Weeks 4-7 - 1550 calories = felt much better, had stamina all day, didn't dread exercise at all. - Lost about 6 pounds
    Weeks 8-9 - Recalculated TDEE, bumped up to 1690 = Feel great, feel like I could run a marathon except I hate running and try to only do it 70 feet at a time during softball season. Lost about 5 more pounds.

You just need to play with it and find what works for you. It might actually be 2000 for you, it might be more, could be less.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Currently month 2 week 2....
    1. nope
    2. no other than drink shakeology for lunch
    3. stretch/ other workouts
    4. yes I still workout two a days!

I have combined Insanity with hockey and running, so basically once I'm done with this round I'm going to do it again!

feel free to add me and I'm a beachbody coach as well...........
  • Michow08
    Michow08 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

It all depends on the person. Here's what I did...

Week 1 - 1200 calories = exhausted, grumpy, unmotivated. Lost nothing
    Weeks 2-3 - 1400 calories = not as tired, not grumpy, not really motivated after working out. Lost a couple pounds and inches

Discovered a BMR - TDEE Thread

Weeks 4-7 - 1550 calories = felt much better, had stamina all day, didn't dread exercise at all. - Lost about 6 pounds
    Weeks 8-9 - Recalculated TDEE, bumped up to 1690 = Feel great, feel like I could run a marathon except I hate running and try to only do it 70 feet at a time during softball season. Lost about 5 more pounds.

You just need to play with it and find what works for you. It might actually be 2000 for you, it might be more, could be less.

Okay I will try bumping it up then slowly... Thank you for the great reply!!
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Alison! :flowerforyou:

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? I use a Polar FT 4. I need to learn how to remove the beeping b/c it throws me off sometimes. LOL
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? Right now, I'm doing my own thing. I'm trying to do low carb -HIGH protein. I do have Shakeology at home that I plan on using within the next few weeks.
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? I ALWAYS do my stretches. Plus I do BIKRAM yoga a few days a week so I get the heat/stretch in one. I also go at my own pace. I dig deep but I stay in my lane. It would be INSANE of me to try to keep up with people like TANYA on the vid.
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Yes I do. There is a difference between sore & PAIN. I've learned through yoga that I have to push through. My body won't adapt/accept new limits unless I push.

I'm still fairly new into this round. Month 1, Day 4 - Cardio Recovery tonight.
    Anyone, feel free to add me if you're looking for a buddy! :smile:

On the Polar FT4, press the button on the right to go to general settings and then training settings. Select it. Training sounds comes up. Toggle it to off! :)
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm currently on day 39 of insanity. (day 4 of month 2)

1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? I do. I use the Polar FT4.
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? I follow my own. The Elite Nutrition Guide tells me to eat a million calories. I eat less. Though I will say, I upped my calories some, and it helped a lot with stamina.
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? Stretch! And jog it out if I can't do something. I also jog sometimes instead of jump to protect my poor knees! This program is ROUGH on the knees.
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Yes, if I'm sore. Again, like other people said, I wouldn't if I was injured.
  • ElleM0
    ElleM0 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    On the Polar FT4, press the button on the right to go to general settings and then training settings. Select it. Training sounds comes up. Toggle it to off! :)

:noway: OMG!!!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I guess I was Googling the wrong info and I misplaced my manual. :smile: :smile:
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I'll start it off with some things I would love to know! :happy:

:happy:

Just started my 2nd round of Insanity on Monday

1) Hell yes. I need it to start beeping when Shaun T is about to induce a heart attack
    2) Just MFP
    3) Correct form. Stretching. Knee supports
    4) Yup. No pain, no gain!
  • orchid5155
    orchid5155 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I am also on Day 3 of Week 1 and was looking for buddies but couldn't find any on teambeachbody. (All the coaches are just looking for people to recruit)
    1. Does everyone use a heart rate monitor? I have an old Polar model that needs a new battery, so not using one now
    2. Do you follow Shaun T's diet plan or stick to their own? Following calculated calories per day of 1800, and try to portion 5 meals a day, eating healthier, plan on getting on Shakeology in a few weeks
    3. How do you protect / condition your muscles? Good stretching, buying some cross trainers, since running shoes don't have enough support for all the jumping
    4. Do you still work out if your muscles are sore? Yes, after I get started with the warm up, I am fine.

You can add me as a buddy, would love to compare notes, encouragement. This is tough program. Definately tougher than P90X.