Zumba?

Options
Hey everybody!. I have a quick question. What do you put in your exercise log for Zumba?. I will be going to a Zumba Toning class tonight with a friend but when I searched for it (both Zumba and Zumba toning), it says "no results found". Does anybody know what should I put in for it? (the class is about 45 minutes long).

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I log it as Dancing (modern, jazz, etc.) or something like that. I use the calorie burn from my HRM to input the calories. :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    I use Jazzercize/Slimnastics ;) Gotta get back to it, it was so much fun!
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just put "General Dancing" for about 45 minutes (if it's an hour long class since you aren't dancing the entire time). Using a HRM would be ideal but I do not have one so I just don't eat back all of the calories they allot since it might be a little high.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I use my HRM so I created my own and named it Zumba per HRM.
  • Deed214
    Deed214 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Zumba is in the database! I use Zumba for both regular Zumba and toning.
  • katie1286
    katie1286 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I googled to figure out approx how many calories are burned for how much I weigh and I added it myself. I know it may not be perfectly accurate, but it's close enough for me!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    For the toning, maybe Light Impact Aerobics? And for regular Zumba, just Aerobics or High Intensity Aerobics.
  • newbeginning82
    Options
    Thanks everybody! :happy:. This is actually my first Zumba class. I've been wanting to do one for a while and am really excited about it! :happy:
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba - been doing it for almost 2 years now!

You can add your own exercises in. Most of what I do, I put in myself so it is exactly what I want.

Be careful, though, on figuring out how many calories you burn - most sites WAY over estimate how many calories you burn with Zumba! I use my HRM to get a more accurate calorie burn (I know it is not exact but it is close, I am sure).

Have fun!
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm 5'3, and at 138 lbs my HRM had me burning an average of 730 calories for an hour of Zumba. I created my own entry and log Zumba as 530 (200 less) just to be on the safe side...just to give you an idea what you're burning. There's a Zumba burn calculator, as well and it's closer to what I put in-I go pretty hard, though.
    http://zumbatotalparty.com /zumba-calorie-calculator.html .
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. As of this morning we have an official Zumba exercise in the Cardiovascular exercise database. This exercise was created in partnership with the team at Zumba and represents the most accurate estimation of caloric burn for Zumba.

As always, if you are using a HRM to measure your caloric burn it will still be more accurate then the estimation, but the estimation should be far easier and accessible then adding Zumba was previously.

We wish you all the success in reaching and maintaining all of your diet and fitness goals.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Samanthahahaha
    Options
    Have fun at your first class! I am a Zumba addict and that is AWESOME they added it to the database! Hooray!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

This gives you a calculator based on your weight and the class intensity. Make sure you don't count the time spent resting between songs.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dance/ aerobic
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    As a side note to my above post. We are currently rolling out the Zumba exercise to every users exercise database. This is done in "chunks" and some users still may not see the exercise. It should be completely rolled out by this evening.

My apologies if you do not see it yet, hang tight it should be there very soon!

We appreciated your patience.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff