Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

need criticism on my squat form

my squat video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99htVK4XxFc

i want to know if i am doing it correctly. im pretty much going *kitten* to grass if i pause the video at the hole position. But yeah, give me some comments on my form.

is my posture too far forward?
my knees look like they are in the right position?
breathing properly?

let me know. thanks.

Replies

• domdoan
    domdoan Posts: 30
    bump
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    hard to be sure from the video angle, but it appears you have some valgus collapse. The knees should track over the feet, its pretty common in newer lifters to see a tendency to have one or both knees collapse toward the inside. there are loads of videos out there on how to spot and correct for this and the techniques are pretty easy (from use of bands, or even just being aware on the knees going in and trying to think of splitting the ground beneath you (keeping the weight on your heels) to remind yourself to keep knees stable)

back looks ok from this angle, somewhat of a lean but nothing crazy. depth looks good (although that is a holy war. I do Olympic style lifting and do very deep squats, some think thats great, some think its dumb. lol. My 2 cents is that you appear deep enough for it to be a "legal" squat in just about anyone's book. )
  • akanewbie
    akanewbie Posts: 4 Member
    I think you may have a slight forward lean, but back looks good, I would recommend a spotter (safety first), and I prefer to do front squats, imo it requires more strength and power to execute a front squat. You will be doing less wait, but functionally I think they are better
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Squat looks good, Depth is fine. If in doubt, google EliteFTS "So you think you can squat"

You have a minor issue of "doing a good morning" out of the bottom of the squat (where you lean forward before rising back up), so make sure your core is tight throughout, BIG breath in at the top, and push the air out when rising.

Oh, and I have to ask... If the video is labelled as Lightweight squats, Why the Belt?
    Not saying it's wrong to wear one, but not needed unless you close to your top weight's IMHO.

FAO akanewbie.. Disagree on a few points on front squat - They are better for Quad development IMO, but I disagree on them needing more power\Strength. I can Squat\Leg Press\Lunge more than people who can front squat the same as me by a long way. It's also a harder technique to learn (Might be more the case I have no clean grip.. but still)