I need greek yogurt suggestions

Options
jessguz
jessguz Posts: 10 Member
Hi all!

So i did the switch to greek yogurt. I recently got Greek God's Honey and Strawberry yogurt and I love it. I realized this morning though, that each serving has 310 calories. :cry: Each serving is just 1 cup too! :angry:

Does anybody have any lighter/less calorie greek yogurt options I should try?

Thanks!

Replies

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    everyone seems to like Fage, but I'm a huge fan of Light n Fit. Thick and creamy and only 80 cals for 5.3oz.
  • TurangaLeela
    TurangaLeela Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really like Fage. It's tart and it's real Greek yogurt (a lot of so-called Greek yogurts are just regular yogurt with more thickener added). For a treat, I take 1/2 cup yogurt and stir in two teaspoons each peanut butter, brown sugar and mini-chocolate chips (plus a few drops of vanilla). Tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    everyone seems to like Fage, but I'm a huge fan of Light n Fit. Thick and creamy and only 80 cals for 5.3oz.

This.

My wife loves the Light n' Fit. Personally, though, I'm just a fat-free Yoplait guy.
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    FAGE is my ultimate favorite but it's a little expensive. Another one similar to Fage is Simple Truth greek yogurt from Dillion's/Baker's. I also get Chobani, Dannon Light and Fit, and Oikos!:) They are all good, but Fage is my favorite. I am obsessed with greek yogurt!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I like Fage, Chobani, and Oikos. I don't like the Light and Fit because it has artificial sweeteners.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of greek yogurt .. so I got the Chioboni Champions (the one for kids .. lol) and I like that one.
  • Pattik123
    Pattik123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    that sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I like Chobani and Yoplait Greek. I like that Chobani has some 2% varities for the days I need a little fat boost too. My fav flavors in Chobani are blood orange & honey. Yoplait Greek makes a great lemon flavor!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge yogurt person (I LOVE cooking with plain fat-free yogurt, I just can't sit down and eat it straight with a spoon. It's a weird texture thing with me). But anywho- my suggestion is if you're looking to keep the calories down (and sugars/fats along with it) I would advise to buy non-fat vanilla greek yogurt and make your own mix-ins. The yogurts that come with fruit/honey mixed in usually have a ridiculous amount of sugars attached. A lot of people I know will just cut up some strawberries, blue berries, etc. and mix in with the vanilla to avoid the added sugars. If you're more inclined to the sweeter tastes of the pre-mixed kinds, you could try adding a little stevia to sweeten it up a little.

A good list of mix-ins could include:
    All types of fruits
    granola
    honey
    stevia (they also make a brown sugar variety)
    cooked or dry oatmeal (good with fruit added as well)
    fresh squeezed lemon or orange juice
    ...forgot to include almonds & walnuts!
  • colapopmusic
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream on lots of foods :) Its very yummy :)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Fage, Chobani or the Yoplait 100 calorie Greek yogurts.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I prefer FAge 2% plain over any other. It has tons of protein, and the little bit of fat makes it stay with you longer than the fat free. It is less sour and more creamy than the Chobani. I put my own fruit in it (saves calories and carbs over the fruit on bottom types), or just eat it plain. And use it instead of sour cream in most recipes. To me it is a win-win!!
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I have the fage total 0%. It took me a few goes to get it the way I liked it. for starters, when I first open it, I hate everything about it! I have 100g and then add 1 x 25g scoop of vanilla whey protein, 2 tea spoons of stevia and mix it all. That's when it turns nice and smooth like the yoghurts i'm used to. I'll then add in 5g of flaked almonds with 3 strawberries chopped up into little bits. Works out at 32g of protein for just over 200 cals which is not too shabby.
  • fithannafit
    fithannafit Posts: 50
    Options
    I eat plain 0% liberté greek yogurt with either fresh or frozen berries mixed in (frozen makes it seem like frozen yogurt). Any sort of flavoured yogurt really isn't very good for you as it's really high in added sugars. Adding your own toppings (like fruit, nuts, a little bit of honey) is a lot better for you. :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Also--- for those of us who love to cook with it.... http://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt-recipes/ :smile:
  • jessguz
    jessguz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    GREAT! Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will definitely have to try a few of these yogurts. And note taken...I will buy the vanilla and try to avoid the fruit already mixed in with the yogurt. It is ridiculous how much sugar those have. This yogurt does have a crazy amount of sugar. It made me sad this morning when i paid attention to it... lol

yall are great! thanks again for all the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have any other ones. :flowerforyou:
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't really like greek yogurt because I find it too sour, but I force myself to eat it because I need the protein. I like the Dannon Light and Fit Cherry the best. I don't generally like fruit in bottom yogurts because I think the texture of the fruit is gross, but the cherry is okay. Vanilla has a little bit of a grainy texture, but it's passable. I prefer the vanilla Yoplait 100, but I don't like any of the other flavors of Yoplait I've tried so far. I don't like Chobani...the texture is too thick for me and feels like it coats my teeth. I haven't tried Oikos or Fage (which is so much more expensive). So, cherry Dannon or vanilla Yoplait are my suggestions, from a very picky yogurt-eater. :)
  • aliceb39
    aliceb39 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Dannon Oikos nonfat blueberry. I add toasted slivered almonds, flax meal, dried orange cranberries, and dried blueberries to it. Have to be careful at the store because some Dannon Oikos is 2% fat, like the coconut (not much flavor, by the way). Fage bugs me because I can't get all the fruit out of that skinny compartment. Chobani is OK. Safeway's Lucerne is awful!
  • mgore0404
    mgore0404 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nutritionist recommended Fage Greek yogurt to me when I first started eating yogurt.
    Husband likes Chobani Greek Yogurts,
    but for some reason lately we have been buying Organic Wallaby Greek Yogurt, so I guess we are trying a little of everything !
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    GREAT! Thanks for all the suggestions!! I will definitely have to try a few of these yogurts. And note taken...I will buy the vanilla and try to avoid the fruit already mixed in with the yogurt. It is ridiculous how much sugar those have. This yogurt does have a crazy amount of sugar. It made me sad this morning when i paid attention to it... lol

yall are great! thanks again for all the suggestions. Keep them coming if you have any other ones. :flowerforyou:

also If you can't afford the whey protein or aren't bothered with getting more protein in then natural vanilla extract will do for flavour as well. I just can't bring myself to eat it plain but I can't drink milk or eat cheesy watery sauces. Gets my gag reflex.