Replies

• akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    0% Chobani + honey + banana/any fruit. YUM
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hi all!

So i did the switch to greek yogurt. I recently got Greek God's Honey and Strawberry yogurt and I love it. I realized this morning though, that each serving has 310 calories. :cry: Each serving is just 1 cup too! :angry:

Does anybody have any lighter/less calorie greek yogurt options I should try?

Thanks!

I eat oikos, traditional. It's made with whole milk and is delicious--160 calories per 5.3oz serving.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani or Fage. I add chopped almonds and frozen blueberries or strawberries to mine, plus a packet of splenda. (I tried to love stevia instead, but I found the taste just awful) The Dannon/Oikos (same company) uses corn starch to thicken it, which is not how Greek yogurt should be made! I've also mixed in oatmeal, or cocoa powder and splenda, or pumpkin puree (which really thins it out actually). Anything that calls for sour cream I substitute greek yogurt. I prefer to add some crunch to it though, so I almost always add almonds.
  • pcon1212
    pcon1212 Posts: 22
    Options
    I like Chobani and Fage. To make them lower calorie you could try getting the plain yogurt and adding your own mix ins, like frozen fruit, maple syrup, etc.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is an acquired taste for some people, try a variety of brands until you settle on one you like the best.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i really like yoplait 100 greek yogurt. it's 100 calories and something like 9 grams of sugar. i prefer the vanilla or strawberry.
  • summerfly413
    summerfly413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like to use plain greek yogurt(I've used Chobani and Fage) to add to smoothies. It helps thicken it up and adds a lot of protein.

I love the chobani blueberry 6oz cups. Somewhere on this site I read that it's mostly just a jelly at the bottom, so once the farmer's market opens up where I live I'm going to buy some jelly there and see how that works with plain greek yogurt.

Adding granola gives it a nice crunch and makes it take a little longer to eat(which usually keeps me from being hungry too soon after). I like to make my own granola from a recipe I found on pintrest:
    -2TBs Peanut butter(you could probably use PB2 to cut calories, I just haven't tried it yet)
    -2TBs Honey
    -1Teaspoon Cinnamon
    -1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
    -1C Whole rolled oats
    (You can adjust the vanilla and cinnamon if you want less or more. I've also found you can cut back on the PB and add a tiny bit more honey with no issues. You kind of have to try to mess it up)

Set oven to 325*F
    Put Oats into a bowl big enough that you'll be able to mix them around. Set aside.
    Put the honey and PB in a microwave safe bowl, it doesn't need to be big at all. Microwave for 30 seconds. Then mix in the cinnamon and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the oats, mix until all the oats are coated. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and dump the oats onto it.
    Spread out so they're fairly flat. Place in oven for about 6-8 minutes or until golden and toasted. Usually once I start to smell the cinnamon in the air I give in another minute or two.
    Take out and let cool for about 5 minutes. Pour them into some kind of container, and enjoy in your yogurt or by itself! They need to be completely cool to be crunchy.
    It's really easy and really tasty. I'm sure you can add more to it if you wanted, but I have really plain tastes.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    fage, is only 150 per cup
    activia is 130 per cup
    chobani bites- tiny little cups - 3.5 oz- 100 cals , and they have coffee and dark chocolate raspberry flavor
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Chobani w/ fruit non fat/ low fat flavors are between 140-160, Yoplait Greek has 100 calorie varieties (key lime, vanilla, and peach are my favorites) I add crushed almonds and walnuts to mine for crunch and protein. Yum!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have never met a greek yogurt that I didn't like! (except plain). I find the best brand for my weight loss journey is Dannon Light & Fit Greek. It only has 80 calories and 12 grams of protein, decent on the sugars as well. It does have some artificial **** in it but it's a sacrifice I make to get ahead in the calories department.
  • wafflemeister14
    wafflemeister14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Source 50 cal portions of 0% greek yogurt comes in a ton of flavours, I eat it practically daily!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like Fage and Chobani. I am not turned off by cals, tho, because it keeps me full! So, I like it for breakfast :)
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I like Fage and Chobani, and I also make my own. Any of the yogurts will have more or fewer calories depending on the fat content and whether it has sweeteners. I'm guessing that Fage and Chobani, and most of the other "quality" brands, do not have artificially sweetened versions to bring down the calories. If you get the plain nonfat or lower fat of any brand, you can add your own sweetener and keep things in check a bit.

Also, I find that a full cup of real Greek yogurt is way too much. I have a little over 1/2 cup every day, and then add homemade granola and a tiny bit of honey (both add some sweetness), plus some ground flaxseed. The whole thing is about 360 calories and much more satisfying than just yogurt itself.
  • HappyAng
    HappyAng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a large container of Fage and add 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch season packet. Then I use it as sort of a dip for my veggies.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I prefer Chobani 0% Plain. I usually add in fresh or frozen fruit and one of the following:

1. Peanut butter
    2. Walnuts (any kind of nuts, really).
    3. Granola
    4. Honey

It's also easy to cook with in place of mayonnaise, cream or sour cream. I've found some really good recipes for salad dressings and dips. To make "ranch" dressing, just mix in a ranch packet. Keep expliring. It took me a while to get used to the tangy flavor, but now I couldn't go back to regular yogurt!
  • Coldpony18
    Coldpony18 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Flavored yogurt has a lot of added sugar. A suggestion I like is to get a good quality Greek yogurt - Plain. Add your own fruit and honey and you will be way below the commercial blend calorie count and it will be fresh fruit!
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you mix plain greek yogurt with cottage cheese (I use low-fat or no-fat of both) and puree it together with a bit of sweetener (your choice, I use Splenda), it actually tastes quite similar to a cheesecake filling! I then add frozen blueberries...it's my favorite go-to snack! Lots of protein, calcium and healthy fiber from the berries! No guilt at all!
  • musicrocks133
    musicrocks133 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Danon's Light N Fit. It is 80 calories and has different flavors. Love them!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I usually buy plain goat milk yogurt, but when I had greek I always when with Fage.

My favorite topping I make is sort of like the inside of a blueberry pie! I adapted this from Starbuck's blueberry oat bar's filling, haha.

2 cups blueberries
    2 -3 tbs lemon juice
    1.5 tbs cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
    stevia or raw honey

I bring the blueberries to a boil, and once its boiling I add the cornstarch and mix. (Cornstarch makes it less of blueberry soup and more like pie filling) I follow with the lemon juice, and then add my sweetener.

This is absolutely delicious, and has a great texture to go along with yogurt, sort of like jam.

I add chia seeds and usually sliced almonds after.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt. 80 calories. I love the vanilla one with mixed fresh berries. Delish!!!