VLCD

Options
My Dr. wants to see me on a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) for the next 4-6 weeks to jump kick my weight loss, as I am having serious health issues. I am 5'0" and weigh 230lbs ( I was 240 when I started). My liver and pancreas are 100% fatty and my kidney function is decreased and considered stage 2 kidney function loss. She believes all of this is due to my weight. I do not have high blood pressure, I do not have diabetes, I do not have thyroid issues. The only other thing showing up in my lab work is anemia and liver function decrease as well. I feel like I am starving.. which I basically am. My calories for a day is 600 using shakes, bars etc... My Dr. says after a week I will no longer feel hungry and it will be easier. During this time I am supposed to learn and study about healthy eating and make a plan, which I have been.

Anyone else go on a Dr. supervised VLCD? How did it go for you? How did you get through the initial cravings and hunger pains?

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    No, because my Dr. isn't a crackwad
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Doctor supervised VLCD aren't that uncommon, and they are intended for short term use. I would ask your doctor if you can supplement with some foods that are low in calorie and high in volume (like fresh vegetables). There's a huge weightloss center in the hospital down the street from where I work, and two of the doctors had a tv show about their bariatric surgery cases (a father-son duo). They also do the VLCD for people prior to surgery and for people who don't qualify or don't want the surgery. My mom suggested that I look into the weightloss center (she had bariatric surgery, but has gained a fair portion of the weight back due to falling into her old eating habits and not wanting to exercise).

Personally, I decided I wanted to try losing on my own first. However, I don't have any real medical problems (my blood pressure is slightly high), so my doctor felt that a reasonable "diet" at a moderate deficit would be a good place to start.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Try to keep hydrated lots of water. Very dense but low calorie foods like lettuce, celery, cucumbers think lots of volume here. She attributes the renal function to your weight? Do you have any underlying conditions like hypertension? When you do transition over this diet you will want to probably do a diabetic diet with carbohydrate control due to your fatty liver.

Your meals will be very simple no more than 100-200 calories.

Try to use that calorie on protein so think egg whites, chicken breast, white turkey, fish, and very lean meat. The rest you can use on vegetables and 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. With small amounts of fiber rich carbohydrates like 1/4c oatmeal or 1/4c beans.

It is OK to question your doctor to ask her about the science behind putting you onto a VLCD? What are the recent studies, research that she has read? How long will you need to be on this diet? If this does not work what are you other options?
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i eat more than that per meal
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    VLCD will vary from person to person and not many people can handle the low calories without a heavy appetite supresant.

IT is also not something for a new dieter to do and should not be suggested by a physician.

I have done a VLCD on my own and dropped 50 lbs over 137 days/19 weeks.

That was mostly fat as well. This is just from experience.

If you want to diet you need to stick with food groups that are high in satiety,
    I am not advocating the paleo diet, but the foods that they consume are the best choices in regards to dieting and being satisfied.
  • ska41
    ska41 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was on a Dr. supervised VLCD a few years ago. I drank six 100 cal. Medifast shakes each day and had blood work and a urine test each week. I lost 70 pounds in about 3 1/2 months. My rate of loss was faster than most other plan participants (we had weekly meetings) because I was able to start exercising as well. HOWEVER....I gained it all back, plus more, because those weekly meetings were motivational, not educational. We didn't learn how to eat healthy foods and maintain the weight loss after we reached our goals.

Your question was about adapting? Yes - I was pretty hungry for the first 10 - 14 days and I just had to suck it up, but after that - no problems. Once my body entered full ketosis (which is what the weekly urine tests were checking), the hunger pains went away and I just watched the clock to make sure I drank the shakes on time. LOTS of water and tea, and I had to take fiber tabs to keep everything moving, if you know what I mean.

I didn't take any diet pills or anything, but it was really much easier after the first week and a half. The participants who "cheated" once in a while and ate "real" food, threw their bodies out of ketosis and had to struggle through some hunger pains again. The plan doctors could see it in their blood work and would fuss at them about the dangers of going in and out. As I said, this was a few years ago, and things may have changed.

Good luck with your journey! It should get easier pretty soon! Hang in there!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you are experiencing even mild kidney failure that is nothing to muck around with. Actual damage to the kidney (as opposed to decreased function for other reasons such as temporary inflammation) is not reversible. I would be seeing a nephrologist, or at least a nutritionist with experience dealing with kidney patients before making any drastic dietary changes. Kidneys are sensitive to your diet and foods that are no problem for a healthy kidney can be a real problem for ones that are not working right. You should be looking into supplements like Co-Q10 for kidney support as well - a nephrologist should set you on the right path as far as that goes.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you are experiencing even mild kidney failure that is nothing to muck around with. Actual damage to the kidney (as opposed to decreased function for other reasons such as temporary inflammation) is not reversible. I would be seeing a nephrologist, or at least a nutritionist with experience dealing with kidney patients before making any drastic dietary changes. Kidneys are sensitive to your diet and foods that are no problem for a healthy kidney can be a real problem for ones that are not working right. You should be looking into supplements like Co-Q10 for kidney support as well - a nephrologist should set you on the right path as far as that goes.
    ].....
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    so sorry you are dealing with those issues..i have NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease) definetely seek nutritionist help, one thing that made mine worse was artificial sweetners. n of course drink lots of water. a good nutritionist can help you with the vlcd in a way that helps cleanse your body n help your organs, maybe talk about possible herbal supplements also. doing these things have literally saved my life.good luck n feel free to add me if you want to exchange ideas n support,
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I was on a doctor-supervised VLCD. It really does get much better after about two weeks.

some advice to help: Use shakes rather than bars, except as an occasional treat. Shakes give you more volume and help with satiety. Drink lots of water. Tea helps.

Use this time period to consult with a good nutritionist and learn about how to get plenty of nutrients in a diet of real food. The problem with VLCDs is that almost nobody keeps the weight off, because they're not learning how to deal with regular food. That doesn't mean you don't need the VLCD now, to get you to a place where your lab tests look better. But it's not your long-term answer.

If you have any bad symptoms after a couple of weeks--upset stomach or itchiness--you might have a dairy allergy. Often that doesn't show up until a person is eating nearly all dairy. If that happens, ask your doctor for an eggwhite-based shake. HMR makes a good one, the HMR 70+.

I'm very sorry you're dealing with such health problems!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Her liver, pancreas, and kidneys are on the verge of shutting down. Dr believes it is due to her weight. Obviously since the liver and pancreas are "100% fatty," this is a pretty obvious conclusion. She is only asking about other people's experience. She is being told to do this for a reason. You can't live without these very vital organs. Also, it is Dr supervised, so they are making sure that her kidneys and other organs are not damaged any further by this change in eating. She is in NEED of a drastic change in her diet, to save her life. OP, if you would like to get a second opinion, while following your doctors advice, then please do so, but don't just assume the Dr doesn't know what he/she is doing, and not do what they are telling you to. Yes, it is drastic, but drastic times call for drastic measures. Multiple organ failure is pretty drastic. I know it has got to be tough, and I can't imagine trying to get by on 600 cal's/day, but this is only temporary, and you have got to do what you have to do to live to see another day. Good luck OP. I feel for you! :frown: Also, please do not take any supplements without asking your doctor first, since it is possible for your kidneys to be further damaged just trying to metabolize any medications or supplements at this time.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on a VLCD, but I do stick to around 1200. The first couple of days were a bit tough getting used to lower calories, but for me, cutting out the sugar and processed carbs, my hunger was much less after about 2 days. I think it takes about 48 hours for your body to process the sugar in your system and then the carb cravings subside. Lots of water and non-starch veggies should help you get thru the first few days. Try to stay busy with activities that take your mind off of food, and eliminate as much off-plan foods from your house as you can so it won't be a temptation. This is a temporary stage to get you started on a healthier path. Use all your will power you can muster to get thru a few days, and it WILL get easier. Best wishes for a healthier you.

ETA- If your pancreas is in such bad shape, that means Diabetes is extremely close. The drastic lowering of your carbs on this diet will certainly help take some stress off of your pancreas. Please continue to take your doctor's concerns very seriously.
  • bookworm221
    bookworm221 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I am on a medically supervised VLCD - it is only day 3. It's really hard isn't it - I feel like i'm starving?

I can't really offer any helpful advice, only to say I have medical problems & am 44 - my grim determination to sort my problems out is getting me through at the moment & sheer will power - which I didn't think I had!!

I just wanted to say I hope it is working for you & I hope it works for me too. Good luck