FT4 or FT7 .......which would you recommend?

Options
Buying one or the other this week! Would love to hear opinions of those who have used either or especially if you have experience with both...........

Replies

• shannonahenderson
    Options
    One of my dear friends got me the FT7 for my bday and I love it (other than the fact that the machine says I burn more calories than my HRM does). See my blog that I just posted...completely frustrating...lol!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a 4, it does everything I need
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been using an FT4 for 2 1/2 years now; I did upgrade to a Garmin 410 (much more expensive) for outdoor stuff (running, hiking, snowshoeing, etc) but still use the FT4 for indoor workouts (Zumba, treadmill, weight training) and have been pleased with it. I've had to change the battery twice and have found two things helpful: one is to really SOAK the contact pads on the heart rate monitor strap - if you just lightly wet it you won't get good readings. The other is to put it through the washing machine (but not the dryer) weekly to wash off the sweat/salt residues - if I go too long without a thorough wash it starts giving weird readings.

BTW, I did once wear both watches at the same time to see how their readings compared - they were really close, both in terms of heart rate readings and calorie counts!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT4 two weeks ago. Gives me all the info I need. I saw some other reviews that stated concernes about wanting it to store weeks of entries, but I don't need to store that much history. The only small negative I have is the back-lighting-- I would like it to stay on a few more seconds longer. :glasses:
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

THIS and it's a lot cheaper too! :bigsmile:
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    The price of my FT7 wasn't that much different to the FT4 so I went with that and I love it! I don't work out without it now!
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've just bought a 4 and await delivery, I have a garmin forerunner for outside stuff
  • Tldavis3s
    Tldavis3s Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the FT4 yesterday. Waiting on it to be delivered
    I did some reading up before purchasing and if you just want basic heart rate monitor that is reliable and easy to use the ft4 has great reviews. The biggest difference in the two is the ft4 stores 10 sessions and the ft7 stores 99 workout sessions!
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options

THIS and it's a lot cheaper too! :bigsmile:

^^ - AGREE.. If just want basics the FT4 is the way to go!.. If you want more Bells and Whistles go for FT7 which will be more pricey.
  • momibakes
    momibakes Posts: 5
    Options
    What is it
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've never used the Ft7, but I LOVE my FT4. I've used it over a year now, logged over 1200 miles walking/jogging/biking/hiking and the battery is still working. No problems whatsoever. The manufacturer suggests that you machine wash the chest strap, but I just hand wash mine with antibacterial soap. It still looks new. I also wipe the back of the watch and clean the receiver(?) with a qtip and water. I think that the biggest difference between the 2 is that if the battery goes dead in the 4, you have to mail it to Polar to have them change it or it voids the waterproof feature. Apparently there is a seal that is difficult to reposition. I did however, read online that some watch repairmen/women will replace it for you also. That is what I plan to do. I'm sure either one would be fine! Enjoy!
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses......
  • todayis4me
    Options
    One of my dear friends got me the FT7 for my bday and I love it (other than the fact that the machine says I burn more calories than my HRM does). See my blog that I just posted...completely frustrating...lol!

Shannon- thats exactly why I want one....example this morning I used the same treadmill as the other day, set for the same speed and incline and I used it for the same duration.......today the calories burned were 200 less than the other day :noway:
  • todayis4me
    Options
    What is it

heart rate monitor
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The price of my FT7 wasn't that much different to the FT4 so I went with that and I love it! I don't work out without it now!

The price of the FT& isn't that much more, so I also purchased the FT7. I use it everytiemI work out, and I absolutely love it. It lets me know if my workout is buring fat or for fitness. Thats something the FT4 I din't think does.

The FT4 I think hold up to 10 files, and the FT7 hold 99 files. So if you want to look back further at your progress, the FT7 is good for that. Either way, having one in general is great, and has morivated me more to workout, becasue I know know exactly ow many calories I am burning so I know how many calories to consume. It is a wonderful gadget.

Add me if you' like:)
  • taymarie8046
    taymarie8046 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. I only got it because of it's design. The only FT4s available were pink and I'm more of a black and gold type of gal. So, I think both are great though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you want it for calorie expenditure, neither. Get a Fitbit or Bodymedia Fit.

HRMs are awful at calorie estimation.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options

The price of the FT& isn't that much more, so I also purchased the FT7. I use it everytiemI work out, and I absolutely love it. It lets me know if my workout is buring fat or for fitness. Thats something the FT4 I din't think does.

The FT4 I think hold up to 10 files, and the FT7 hold 99 files. So if you want to look back further at your progress, the FT7 is good for that. Either way, having one in general is great, and has morivated me more to workout, becasue I know know exactly ow many calories I am burning so I know how many calories to consume. It is a wonderful gadget.

Add me if you' like:)

Oooh yes, didn't know that was a difference, but the FT7 shows if your work out was mainly fat burning or cardio. My overall fitness goal is fatburn so I want to ensure I am getting the maximum from my workouts, if i'm not getting a decent reading it helps me to mix it up.
  • Robrowald
    Robrowald Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the 4 but I tend to use my Scosche Rhythm more.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    There are three people in my office with an FT4, but nobody with an FT7. This may be price related, but that's just the numbers we have. From what I hear, the FT4 is a bit simpler to use with fewer options. If you want a simple HRM I'd suggest an FT4. If you're looking for a more complex device with extra features then go with an FT7 (or a Garmin if you have the money).