Measuring and weighing food

Options
Just a quick post to emphasize the importance of weighing and measuring everything. The other day I bought some fat-free yogurt. The portion size was to be 3/4 of a cup. I put what I thought was the right amount into a bowl but then, for some reason, I decided to measure it. Well it wasn't even a half cup.
This morning I was contemplating my struggle with getting enough water into me. For some reason I had assumed that my water bottle held 16 ounces. I filled up my bottle for the second time this morning and then decided to measure it. I was happily surprised to find it held just over 20 ounces.
By not measuring I run the risk of both over and under eating, neither of which is conducive to healthy eating. Also, by not knowing how much water my water bottle held I was getting frustrated with my seeming failure to achieve my water amounts. Frustration leads to discouragement which leads to struggling to stay on track.
So the moral of the story is weigh and measure. You just might find you're doing better than you thought. :)

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Good point - the errors could definitely be going both ways! I love having my scale and use it for almost everything I can. It's a great tool!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I just got my scale last week and have realized I've been over or under on alot of things. Great reminder:)
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yep, I keep a scale, measuring cups and spoons handy both at work and home!
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post - it definitely can work both ways! I measure and weigh everything. Yes, it can be a chore and yes, it is time consuming, but ultimately it's worth it knowing you are on track and not assuming - that way if things aren't working out, you can figure out why.
  • gymboreejunkie
    gymboreejunkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love my scale as well.

I'm not sure if all scales do this, but I bought a Pampered Chef scale and I can add an ingredient to the bowl and press a button which zeros out the scale so I can add the next ingredient without having to remove the first one. Huge time saver!

Happy measuring everyone...
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I purchased a food scale on ebay for $20. Best invest for me. I use it all the time to weigh almost every meal. I will weigh things out for the next days meals. Its def more accurate than eye balling what you think is an appropriate portion. Opened my eyes to how much food I REALLY consumed. :) Great thread
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I is so much fun to get more than you expected because you took the time to weigh/measure. I love my food scale!
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Very good point! I did find that on some things I was cheating myself by shorting the portion sizes. On others, I found how easy it is to go over. I really appreciate having my scale available when I pack my snacks and lunches for the week!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I love my scale as well.

I'm not sure if all scales do this, but I bought a Pampered Chef scale and I can add an ingredient to the bowl and press a button which zeros out the scale so I can add the next ingredient without having to remove the first one. Huge time saver!

Happy measuring everyone...

That's the scale I have too! I wish the ounces or grams switch was on the top though...I switch between the 2 quite often and I feel like I'm always have to flip the thing over because I'm in the wrong "mode":P
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yep yep. I LOVE having a food scale.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale for everything now. I used to use measuring cups but I was finding that the fat girl inside of me was trying to put as much in the measuring cups as possible. So weighing my food keeps me in check.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been pretty good about measuring but for some reason have always poo-poo'd the value of a food scale...until recently. My husband insisted on buying one, and I'm glad he did. I really like being able to weigh foods like pasta where the portion size on the package is given in dry weight. It is also helping me get a better handle on what things weigh in grams vs oz.

I had the same thing happen with yogurt. I thought I was portioning out 8 oz/1 cup (I've started to just eyeball some things rather than always dirtying measuring cups...lazy, I know). When I started weighing the yogurt, I found my "cup" was really 6 ounces. A nice surprise, because now I can have more!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Good tips.

A food scale, a measuring cup and spoons along with a read of the label can change things quickly.

One big offender is trying to get a teaspoon of peanut butter. That's a level teaspoon!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Before I got my food scale, I found myself constantly under eating. I get waaaaay more when I measure it out.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    What I found disheartening was peanut butter. Maybe it's just me, but I can't work with 32 grams of peanut butter for a sufficient PB&J.
  • AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What I found disheartening was peanut butter. Maybe it's just me, but I can't work with 32 grams of peanut butter for a sufficient PB&J.

This!
    I got in such a strop that I stopped buying peanut butter LOL
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post to emphasize the importance of weighing and measuring everything. The other day I bought some fat-free yogurt. The portion size was to be 3/4 of a cup. I put what I thought was the right amount into a bowl but then, for some reason, I decided to measure it. Well it wasn't even a half cup.
    This morning I was contemplating my struggle with getting enough water into me. For some reason I had assumed that my water bottle held 16 ounces. I filled up my bottle for the second time this morning and then decided to measure it. I was happily surprised to find it held just over 20 ounces.
    By not measuring I run the risk of both over and under eating, neither of which is conducive to healthy eating. Also, by not knowing how much water my water bottle held I was getting frustrated with my seeming failure to achieve my water amounts. Frustration leads to discouragement which leads to struggling to stay on track.
    So the moral of the story is weigh and measure. You just might find you're doing better than you thought. :)

Good post :)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring, is the number one tool, in my fifty+ pound weight loss. I cannot emphasize it enough. If I could give it a medal I would.

Measuring cups can be inaccurate though, and little inaccuracies can add up over a weeks time. Weighing is usually the best. It's second nature now to use my scale, not the least bit of a hassle.
  • epfenick
    epfenick Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Have you tried the sandwich thins bread? I sometimes cheat with 1.5 servings of peanut butter but only one piece of bread or use bread with fewer calories.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything! Before having my scale, I was actually under eating most things. I good example was my protein powder. One serving is supposed to be one scoop at 30g. I went through nearly 2 pounds before I started weighing it. When I weighed a heaping mounded scoop, it was only 27g.

I just recently had to buy a different brand of protein powder because mine was sold out. One scoop is supposed to be 32g on this one, so thinking it was light like my regular brand I dumped a giant heaping scoop in and it was actually 40g :o