who hates cardio?

Options
i need to start doing more cardio, i basically just dont do it... i feel like my heart rate is SO SO much higher when i lift weights... and cardio ... like the elliptical my legs get tired more than i get out of breath... and i cant at the moment run, i think i have shin splints or weak bones... i used to run here and there only about a mile.. but now when i run my shins are just in so much pain, but that is one of my goals to run a 5 k next year with my husband... POINT IS>>>
how many of u super hated cardio when you first began healthy living and now have grown to love it? and if that happened to you, when did you realize that you were starting to enjoy it?

looking for motivation to just do it :0)

>> i love to lift heavy weights, so thats what i mainly do

Replies

• Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I abhor at the gym cardio, like I can't even explain it...i live in the norhteast so when the weather gets nicer like it is I do outside stuff, like I'll go around the track 4 times which is a mile and then go in to the gym and do the machines. I really just don't do cardio machines if I don't have to.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the worst. I don't do it.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've found that I get addicted to the endorphin high! Hey, there are worse things to get addicted to, right?!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    oh oh me me me!!!! (jumping up and down)

I hate cardio. The only cardio that is tollerable for me is running with the galloway methode. I run one minute and walk one minute. Believe it or not i am faster when doing that then when running continuously.

I am having a mad love affaire with my free weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to do more cardio?

If for weight loss don't bother, just create your deficit from diet alone. If for strengthening your heart or competing for an event then, you should increase the amount, assuming you are not doing enough now
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, but I feel it's necessary for overall health. Find a cardio exercise that you enjoy and do it
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I love it. I love the feeling that I'm sweating my butt off and the thought of the calories I'm burning. Does it hurt? Hell yeah - I'm over 17st, so I've got to be careful. I'm the same in that I don't get out of breath but my legs/muscles hurt. Solution - mix it up with weight training. My gym workout typically is mostly weight training with about half hour of cardio - there is no point working those muscles on the cross trainer if the muscles aren't ready or able to cope with it - it's better to strengthen those muscles and switch it with a little bit of cardio for the time being.

I've been going to the gym three weeks. I started off barely being able to use the cross trainer for more than 2.5 minutes. Now I can go at 80rpm for 6 minutes.

You may never like cardio - a lot of people don't. Stick to what you like because you are more likely to keep at it!

PS - if you have shin splints or injury - don't run. Do low impact cardio - stationary bike for example. Even be wary of cross trainer for a bit - rest those injuries as priority - you can lift weights in the mean time!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There are lotsa ways to get your heart rate up. Find something you enjoy and it won't be a chore. Personally, I enjoy riding bicycles.

Good luck.:smile:
  • japage83
    japage83 Posts: 2
    Options
    Cardio is Satan himself (picture Dana Carvey's Church Lady)! It's just horrible. Horrible. I walk uphill for about 45 minutes on the treadmill each time I go to the gym. What helps me make it through: 1. Being able to watch something interesting on television. That way I'm not obsessing about how miserable I am every second. 2. Negotiating with myself that if I am really hating it half way through, that I'll do weights and finish cardio last.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Me. But it's "good for you." sigh.........
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I hate being bad at something far more than I ever hated cardio.

I decided to start running because as a single mom, running with the jogger was the only way I could think of to work off the baby weight without having to obtain childcare.

I hated it at first, it was hard and I was terrible at it. But I did c25k and I started getting better at it. Now I run 20-25 miles a week and half marathons are my favorite distance.

With enough persistence we can force ourselves to like anything.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do as little as possible, only for the reason that I want to keep my heart in tip top shape. I use weight training to keep my body hot and sexy.

HIIT is the way to go...a PITA and you're cursing the entire time but done in 20 minutes.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a fan. But due to my body type and metabolism, I don't require much cardio either. I try to do it at least twice a week for the endurance benefits though.
  • astropat_
    astropat_ Posts: 2
    Options
    Why do you need to do more cardio?

If for weight loss don't bother, just create your deficit from diet alone. If for strengthening your heart or competing for an event then, you should increase the amount, assuming you are not doing enough now

+1

Depends on your goals and if your goal is to run a 5K, get some comfortable shoes and start running. If just starting out, I'd reccomend jogging at a conversational pace for longer periods of time to strengthen your legs. If you want to just lose fat, you can just go on walks in addition to putting yourself on a calorie deficit and do just fine. Good luck!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    i need to start doing more cardio, i basically just dont do it... i feel like my heart rate is SO SO much higher when i lift weights... and cardio ... like the elliptical my legs get tired more than i get out of breath... and i cant at the moment run, i think i have shin splints or weak bones... i used to run here and there only about a mile.. but now when i run my shins are just in so much pain, but that is one of my goals to run a 5 k next year with my husband... POINT IS>>>
    how many of u super hated cardio when you first began healthy living and now have grown to love it? and if that happened to you, when did you realize that you were starting to enjoy it?

looking for motivation to just do it :0)

>> i love to lift heavy weights, so thats what i mainly do

I always loved lifting weights more than cardio. Now I am doing Insanity and couch to 5k, and I am finding that I REALLY like to run. I get some sort of natural high from it, I cant explain it but it makes me happy. Try the couch to 5k app if you have a smartphone, I'm on week 4 and I actually am enjoying it.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hm, I find I'm the exact opposite. I love cardio activities like dancing, walking, hula hooping and most recently after completing the C25K, I'm actually starting to enjoy running, which I NEVER thought I'd be able to say in a million years.

However, I've always hated strength training and it's been a huge struggle for me to do it regularly with just body weight exercises. I always found that cardio was about finding something fun. I don't see the sense in chugging on a boring elliptical when I can lose just as many calories from dancing like a loon in my room, lol.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I like and do is cardio. I walk everyday. I don't run or use gym equipment. It's very easy and requires no money. :)
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    oh oh me me me!!!! (jumping up and down)

I hate cardio. The only cardio that is tollerable for me is running with the galloway methode. I run one minute and walk one minute. Believe it or not i am faster when doing that then when running continuously.

I am having a mad love affaire with my free weight.

^^^yup.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I love cardio! I'm a fan of Spin and Zumba classes, and try to fit in at least two 55 min sessions a week. But I mostly just alternately walk/jog on the treadmill in addition to my 3 days of strength training.

I actually look forward to treadmill time. I take my Nook ereader and a great playlist I set up on my cell phone to make the time fly by. Sometimes, I will download an ebook that I will allow myself to ONLY read while on the treadmill, which really helps with the motivation.

Good luck!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Sound like me 6 months ago, hated it.

I used have pain in shins, ankles, tired legs. It took me about 6 weeks of regular exercise (4x week) to build endurance and strength in my legs. Now I'm running and absolutely love cardio. Makes me feel unstoppable, and LOVE IT!

Now as I increase my weight lifting, my cardio has only improved too. It's all good! :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter