walking recommendations for someone with bad knees

Robind55
Robind55 Posts: 18 Member
I've gained weight back for several reasons. First and foremost, I fell off the "eating healthy bandwagon". Part of the problem there is that my body is going through adaptation after being several years out from gastric bypass surgery. I lost about 135lbs and it felt great. Now I'm up to 319lbs again and disgusted about it. Adaptation means that my body is starting to absorb more calories and fat again. Not good. Secondly, my job (which I started in November of last year) is very sedantary. I'm tied to a phone all day, so I can't get up to move around much. I'm going to start walking again, but I'm worried because I'm having significant knee pain. I go to see an orthopedist soon, but in the meantime, I want to get moving. I welcome any advice for someone like me who has knee issues but needs to exercise. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Hi Robin. First off, congrats on still being down 100lbs and taking the steps to get it going back that way.

I have two bad knees and I started with and still do walking. My first goal was small, 1000 steps per day. Now up to 6000 per day. I drink a lot of water so I have to get up.

I am also at a desk all day. You can do leg raises, stand and twist side to side Here a some from WebMD

1. Sitting in your chair, lift one leg off the seat, extend it out straight, hold for 2 seconds; then lower your foot (stop short of the floor) and hold for several seconds. Switch; do each leg 15 times.

2. To work your chest and shoulders, place both hands on your chair arms and slowly lift your bottom off the chair. Lower yourself back down but stop short of the seat, hold for a few seconds. Do 15 times.

3. To stretch your back and strengthen your biceps, place your hands on the desk and hang on. Slowly push your chair back until your head is between your arms and you're looking at the floor. Then slowly pull yourself back in. Again, 15 of these.
    Desk pushups can be a good strengthener. (First, make sure your desk is solid enough to support your weight.) Standing, put your hands on the desk. Walk backward, then do push-ups against the desk. Repeat 15 times.

If you are worried about you knees giving out while walking, use a walking stick or crutches if you have them until you see your doctor.

You can search the webb for desk exercises for more ideas. Also remember every little bit helps as long as you move.

Good luck and do not give up! My body resists me losing weight but I keep trying and have learned to be happy with the little wins because that means I did something I did not do before.
  • annahlotr
    annahlotr Posts: 23 Member
    I'm glad you're going to see an orthopedist. If he suggests physical therapy, you should listen.

Do you have access to a pool? Just walking in water is great. When I was relearning to walk, my gait trainer (a type of physical therapist) had me practice in a pool. It takes some of your weight off, which makes it easier on your legs. Almost anything in the water is usually ok. I'm not allowed to do breaststroke because that type of kicking is bad for my knee, but I've been encouraged to freestyle and take water aerobics classes.

You can do upper body exercises while you're sitting down.

Do you have access to a nutritionist who can help you deal with the adaptation? While your mobility is compromised, tracking what you eat is important.

I have one leg that has a wrecked knee and ankle, and physical therapy taught me how to walk again. If the orthopedist recommends physical therapy, they can help you figure out what will be ok for you to do with an injured knee and what could cause more damage.
  • Robind55
    Robind55 Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you so much for the advice and being supportive. It means a lot and I will take your advice.