Questions about FitBit

Options
I currently have a polar FT4 heartrate monitor that I got about a month ago. So far, I love it, but have been reading that a fitbit might be more accurate for counting calories? I looked up the fitbit but was a little confused by the different products they offer, so I'm looking for feedback from people who have used both and can compare, and/or use fitbit and can answer a few of my questions below.

1. What benefits does the fitbit have over a heartrate monitor, and how does it accurately track calories burned if it has no idea what my heart rate is doing?? Does it track calories burned while lifting as well, or only cardio (by tracking steps)?
2. I do not have a smart phone, it looks like the fitbit is designed for people who do... am I correct on this? I have no interest in having a smartphone again - I am not someone who desires to be THAT connected at all times :)
3. The sleep-tracking aspect is cool, but I have a hard time believing that this would be accurate as well..... do people find this tool useful? I have a history of insomnia and currently have a new rx that seems to be working well but it would be nice to see what 'quality of sleep' looks like.
4. Flex vs. Zip. vs. One?? The bracelet looks awesome, but it needs to be charged every 7 days?

Any input people who have experience using these greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• MsChrissyAnn
    MsChrissyAnn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'd like to know too!!
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip, and it counts steps. That is all. It does not count calories burned when I lift weights. It does a simple calorie calculation if there are a lot of steps in a short period of time, but that does not take into account any difficulty (like incline on a treadmill). I use it to try to be more active during the parts of the day when I'm not specifically working out, by trying to hit specific step counts for the day. But I also have a HRM to get a more accurate calorie count for my workouts.

EDIT: You don't have to have a smart phone to use it, either. It will come with a cable or a dongle to use your computer to sync to the Fitbit site.
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can only kind of answer since I'm waiting for the Flex to be released :) 2. You don't need a smart phone! It comes with a dongle that you plug into your computer that will upload the info and I personally got the Flex because I'm super forgetful and would leave mine on my clothes and send them into the washer :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

1. What benefits does the fitbit have over a heartrate monitor, and how does it accurately track calories burned if it has no idea what my heart rate is doing?? Does it track calories burned while lifting as well, or only cardio (by tracking steps)?

A FitBit is for tracking all day, while a HRM is for tracking during exercise. The FitBit is basically a fancy pedometer. It is accurate for tracking step based activities but not for stuff like strength training.

2. I do not have a smart phone, it looks like the fitbit is designed for people who do... am I correct on this? I have no interest in having a smartphone again - I am not someone who desires to be THAT connected at all times :)

I have the Ultra - it doesn't connect to a phone. You can sync when you're at your computer.

3. The sleep-tracking aspect is cool, but I have a hard time believing that this would be accurate as well..... do people find this tool useful? I have a history of insomnia and currently have a new rx that seems to be working well but it would be nice to see what 'quality of sleep' looks like.

The sleep tool is cool, I don't know that it is useful. I mean I know I don't get enough sleep, but I don't know what I'd do to change that.

4. Flex vs. Zip. vs. One?? The bracelet looks awesome, but it needs to be charged every 7 days?

I have the older model - the Ultra. I think the bracelet (Flex) is ugly personally. I think it is the Zip that doesn't track stairs or sleep - personally I don't care much about the stairs anyway as it isn't always accurate and I already talked about the sleep feature. So it just really depends on what features you want.

I charge my Ultra about every week or so. Usually for about an hour when I'm sitting on the couch watching tv so not moving anyway.

Any input people who have experience using these greatly appreciated!!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I will be getting the Flex when it comes out - I think at the end of the month? Although I *have* a SmartPhone, the Fitbit won't sync with it because it's an older one, and I don't *care.* you can still sync with MFP thorugh your computer as well, so the phone isn't really an issue.

The Fitbit is supposed to track calories based not only on steps and movement, but also the specific information you input into the FitBit program to begin with (height, weight, stride length, etc.). It will calculate throughout the day how many calories you're burning no matter *what* you are doing.

I have no clue how much exercise I honestly get every day. I've listed my work as "sedentary" but for all I know it's actually light activity, and I really want to find out. I love to eat! :)
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor (HRM) and a Fitbit measure two completely different things and there is no crossover. You would benefit from both!

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is made up of three things:
    * Your BRM (Basal Metabolic Rate) -- how many calories you burn even if you are in a coma just to maintain your body/organs/etc.
    * Your "daily living activity calories" -- how much burn doing laundry, getting the mail, going up stairs, any movement outside of bed
    * Your Exercise/Workout calories -- how much you burn based on intensity and elevated heart rate

Fitbit measures your "daily living activity calories" and combines it with your BMR to give you the number of calories you burn each day ASIDE FROM WORKOUTS. Your HRM gives you workout/exercise calorie burns.

Your "daily living activity calories" account for a HUGE percentage of your daily/weekly calories, so its great to track them. Knowing that number helps you eat the right number of calories to reach your goal. Use your HRM to log your exercise calories. When you log the start time/duration/calories of your workout with Fitbit, it replaces its step data for that time period with your actual burn. The nice thing is that you can link your Fitibit account and MFP account so when you log your exercise in MFP it syncs automatically with Fitbit. Then you can get a complete, accurate picture of your calories burned each day/week. And Fitbit has awesome charts, graphs, averages, reports, etc.

I love my Fitbit One. I would go into serious withdrawal symptoms without it! LOL I love that it tracks my sleep. Someone asked if it is helpful. Yes it is. Just like tracking my calories naturally inspires me to make better calorie choices, so tracking my sleep is very motivating to get more. When you see that you are only 45 minutes shy of getting an awesome average number of hours of sleep a night.... its very easy to talk yourself into going to bed a bit earlier! :) And I have sleep apnea so its helpful to see how many hours of *actual* sleep a night that I get compared to how many hours I spend in bed.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    1. The Fitbit is sort of a fancy pedometer, so it doesn't have any way to measure heart rate. It calculates calories based on your weight and speed when you're walking. So it's just an educated guess on calories I think.

2. I have a Fitbit and a smartphone, but I don't use them together at all. I sync each night with my laptop.

3 and 4. I have a Zip, which doesn't evaluate sleep, so I can't be of any help there! i tend to sleep very soundly, so I didn't bother with the sleep function. I think the best aspects of the Zip are that it's easy to wear and fun. It really encourages me to keep my steps high and take a walk if I'm lagging behind for a day. You can also challenge your friends who also have Fitbits. I also really like that it syncs with MFP to calculate exercise calories if you're walking or jogging.

It's a toy, overall, but it really keeps me motivated.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1. The Fitbit is sort of a fancy pedometer, so it doesn't have any way to measure heart rate. It calculates calories based on your weight and speed when you're walking. So it's just an educated guess on calories I think.

2. I have a Fitbit and a smartphone, but I don't use them together at all. I sync each night with my laptop.

3 and 4. I have a Zip, which doesn't evaluate sleep, so I can't be of any help there! i tend to sleep very soundly, so I didn't bother with the sleep function. I think the best aspects of the Zip are that it's easy to wear and fun. It really encourages me to keep my steps high and take a walk if I'm lagging behind for a day. You can also challenge your friends who also have Fitbits. I also really like that it syncs with MFP to calculate exercise calories if you're walking or jogging.

I don't think that the Zip can be very accurate since it doesn't measure stairs. But I do believe that the Fitbit One is pretty accurate. A lot of people use the number they get from their Fitbit to eat at maintenance calories after they reach their goal and a ton of people report that they can maintain their weight by eating their Fitbit number. So it can't be too inaccurate or it wouldn't work so well for people. :flowerforyou:
  • eatyourselffitter
    eatyourselffitter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and do not own a smart phone. I love my Fitbit and it seems to be accurate with recording my sleep. you wear it on your wrist and it'll register how much you move around while sleeping. I'm not personally interested in the Flex as it doesn't have the visual info on your current stats, I believe it just has bars that register your activity. So for people who don't own a smart phone for easy constant access to their stats it may not be ideal. I wear my Fitbit 24/7 and my polar FT4 while I work out.(Except when I'm in the pool and I think the Flex can be worn in water, so that's awesome).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and love it, but I'm still learning about it. My general understanding is that it is pretty accurate for walking calories burned but not weight lifting; I enter that separately. I, personally, don't log running either; I just use the Fitbit calories/steps. As others have said, you don't need a smartphone for it; you can use your computer and the dongle that comes with it.

I think it's worth it. I feel naked without it!
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback!! I now have a good understanding of the Fitbit! I will seriously consider investing in the flex when it comes out to supplement my HRM information!! Y'all are awesome
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I bought a FitBit one in Jan of this year and love it. I also have a cheap HRM watch too that I wear sometimes to the gym or when I do cardio at home to check my target Heart rate. I don't usually wear the HRM watch to the gym since the cardio machines have the sensors on there to do that and I compared them with my HRM watch and they were pretty accurate to my watch.
    I love my FitBit one. I have a smart phone but I usually sync it with my work computer during the day and at home with my laptop. I have a droid phone so the sync doesn't work really I don't think until it's synced with a computer I have noticed. They are supposed to be working on the Android stuff for this but it will sync with the iPhone.
    The fitbit pushes me to get my 10000 steps in a day and see how many miles I can get it. Mine will do the sleep thing but I only did that the first night I got it and haven't since. I have MFP and FItbit synced together too.
    Best $100 I spent was buying the fitbit one!
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor (HRM) and a Fitbit measure two completely different things and there is no crossover. You would benefit from both!

^ This :)

I use both and cant live without either. The goals set by my fibit compliment my training and motivate me to be more active
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options

i thought i slept soundly until i got my flex. Apparently i woke up 8 times. 2 that i know of...weird
  • stefaniem76
    stefaniem76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me why MFP says 1 hour of Zumba (for my composition) burns 879 calories but my fitbit one only registers 529... Such a huge difference, I'm so confused.
  • mahwishmansoor
    Options
    Great detailed reply!!!