New and discouraged

Options
Robind55
Robind55 Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone! I've been on the site for a few months, but haven't visited the forums yet. I started out at 307lbs when I first signed up and now I'm up to 319lbs! I'm so mad at myself. I had gastric bypass back in 2002 and was down to 269lbs after weighing 406lbs the day of surgery. I can't believe I've gained this much weight back. My gastric doc says it's not all my fault since the body goes through what's called "adaptation" where the body resets itself and you start obsorbing more fat and stuff again. Still, I am scared and know that I have to get back at it again. Well, I'll leave it at that except to say that I'm looking forward to making friends and losing that weight again.

Replies

• synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hey good luck in your journey. remember at the end of the day its you who decides your fate.
  • VeronicaAM
    VeronicaAM Posts: 69
    Options
    We have a great new opportunity every day to make better choices do not focus much in what you done in the past have a new fresh start :)
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Sorry you're feeling discouraged! I can imagine that it must feel like a really big set back to have gained back that weight. But try rereading your own post; you are still so much farther ahead than your original weight! That's progress, no matter how you look at it :) so maybe try to reframe it in your mind, from "ugh, I was 269 and now I'm 319" to "I started at 410,and even though I've had a couple setbacks, I'm still making positive movement toward my goal". I think it's important to focus on the positives :) don't ignore the negatives, because you can't just pretend these things haven't happened, but acknowledge them, make them part of your story, and then move forward. I think if you can start to do that, you may start feeling less discouraged and more determined!

Best of luck, and congratulations on your progress so far :D
  • mh778p
    mh778p Posts: 2
    Options
    congrats keeping on nearly 100 lbs!!! you can do it. just keep focused and stay motivated
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking what you have gained back, why not look at what you have lost and keep off so far? That's an accomplishment to be proud of!
  • make_it_so
    make_it_so Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some credit! You have kept off nearly 100 lbs! That is no easy feat! Little consistent changes do the trick! Don't beat yourself up, you have to be your own advocate, not enemy! <3

You can friend me, if you want, and I think it would help you to friend people who have had bypass surgery on here, too!
  • Robind55
    Options
    You're right. It's that whole, "accentuate the positive" type thing. Thanks for helping see that side of it. :smile:
  • Robind55
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and I will definitely friend you!:happy:
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Remember this is a journey. Everyone I know who has lost huge amounts of weight has had set backs. It is as much a journey as a destination. Just pick yourself up, brush off the crumbs and move on.

Sometimes we read success stories and it sounds like they started a diet, never failed and lost tons of weight, and lived happily ever after. I know most people have tried several times and took a while to get going. Just never stop trying.

Feel free to add me and will happily help positively encourage each other
  • MzJeyz1too
    MzJeyz1too Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Robind55, try to look at it as a journey, one day at a time. That's the only way I can keep it together myself. When you make your food choices, just for today, try to eat less fat and more fruits and veges. You can eat whatever you want tomorrow, just love yourself enough today to do something good. I hope it works out for your today!!!
  • TinaCleg
    TinaCleg Posts: 87
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. I know a few people that have gained back after bypass. You can do it !