addiction, need help or advice please

Options
2»

Replies

• michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Coca-Cola for about 10 years, drinking as much as 4 cans a day! I don't know why, but I was still pretty thin for someone who just chugged high fructose syrup all day.

The only way that I got over my addiction was to literally just not have any in the house. I would sit around and mope and complain to no end... but I got over it. I finally have self-control and practice moderation with cola now.

Quitting cold turkey may not be an option for everyone, but I can say that it worked for me. If not, then I suggest weaning yourself off of it and, as most people have said, to find a better substitute! Its funny how fruit tasted SO much sweeter to me once I kicked the addiction.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    SodaStream!!! Less calories and less ingredients then regular cola. Plus you make it yourself and have more control of how much cola syrup you want to use.

Nooooo!! http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-stores-don-t-buy-or-sell-sodastream-3
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey, doll. On both the smokes and the cokes.

yup. The first 2-3 days are terrible, but after that it does get better.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Just power through, drink diet or zero. Yes you will have headaches and you will be mega grouchy for 2-3 days then you'll start to feel better, after a week or so you'll proli prefer diet coke again.

& yes you are right you will lose weight if you stop drinking it, just be sure you don't replace it with unhealthy stuff!!

I've been there going from full to diet, it is hard, but after a few days it is worth it.

I can't stand the taste of full fat coke now, it makes me feel sick and gives me heartburn. I used to drink around 4-6 cans a day. Now i have maybe 1 diet coke a day, sometimes 2!
  • alicecorsiatto
    alicecorsiatto Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    just cut it down to nights out mate,few lines is no big deal

LOL
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    drink the coke tons of it..the only way to "get rid" of that habit is to embrace it! let me knowwww
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey, doll. On both the smokes and the cokes.

THIS!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have/had an addiction to Pepsi. I had a different problem than you do because the Pepsi would usually lead to more eating than I'd eat without it. Tried many times to reduce it down, but I would relapse each time. I finally had to just stop. I treated it as if I was an addict, because I was. I bought some Excedrin since it has the caffeine without the pleasant taste and when my headaches got too bad I would take one. It was hard and I didn't try to change my diet in any other way other than no Pepsi and no fast food for 3 months straight, but at the end I was done. I had built up new habits and Pepsi is not part of them.

I know that I cannot ever have another because I really am just one can. bottle, or cup away from craving it again. So if I want a soft drink, I'll get a root beer, Sprite, or 7-Up, all of which I like, but have never craved. No cola any more and I rarely drink a soda of any other kind. That's what I had to do.
  • cOOkieLpX
    cOOkieLpX Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    SodaStream!!! Less calories and less ingredients then regular cola. Plus you make it yourself and have more control of how much cola syrup you want to use.

Nooooo!! http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-stores-don-t-buy-or-sell-sodastream-3

Wow, thats crazy. Thanks.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    quit smoking.... no need for a coke then.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Coke doesn't have fat. it has sugar
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Tapering off is not an option for an addict. I've been off cigarettes for nearly 12 years now and I know if I have even one drag off a smoke I'll be back to 4 packs a day by nightfall.

I'm a Dr. Pepper addict --- currently in recovery. I've been a "Pepper" since I was a kid and begged my older sister to stop at the gas station so I could get a 10 ounce glass bottle on the way to school. I've never even flirted around with the idea of switching to another brand --- I have always been too good for Mr. Pibb. I've tried the route of Diet DP, Caffeine free DP (while pregnant), and, briefly, Caffeine free Diet DP. The end result was always the same --- I can't drink just one (even if it is 40 ounces).

Two weeks or so ago I went cold-turkey --- no more soda under any circumstances. I was a pain in the butt for a day or two, but I still get my caffeine fix in the morning (no cream or sugar) and an occasional glass of (unsweet!) iced tea. When I get food at McD's, I order large ice water. When I'm driving in the car and stop at the gas station, I get a large ice water ---- my brain accepts it because I'm drinking through a straw. It felt weird at first, but I'm getting used to it.

Most important thing: I'm feeling physically better! After the first few bad days, I began to enjoy the flavor of my food without having the distraction of the HFCS or it's chemical replacement. I still have to watch out for dangerous places where it's more difficult to get water --- but a surprising number of waitresses no longer seem fazed when I just want H2O.

I've heard it said that Diet Coke is almost as addictive as Meth --- good luck.
  • madz0333
    madz0333 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all the replied, afew jokes there but I was expecting those iv heard them all before, my mates think its hilarious when i say i have a coke problem lol.

On the serious side though, afew of you said sparkling water thats something iv never tried before, im guessing its pretty good on the calorie side?

*kitten* iv tried 2 give up but oneday I realised why I couldnt...because I didnt actually want to. I think you got to want to stop for it to work. I stopped straight away when I was pregnant, no problem. After I had baby I went back to smoking, but the coke iv lost control with. I simply cant just stop.

As for coffee, I should of said I drink that too aswell as the coke !

Im not that unhappy by my weight, could loose some but im not exactly majorly overweight. For me its more about the dependance on the crap, the unhealthy side of it and the damage I know its probably doing to my teeth, look ok now but I dont really wana end up being like my nan with those teeth in the glass, that used to freak me right out! Im traumatised hahaha

So the sparkling water is different flavours right? I cant smoke with normal water it tastes grose
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    It's an addiction. There are going to be withdrawals. If you really want to get rid of it, expect it to not be easy for a while.

You wouldn't say "oh I'm addicted to morphine I'll just cut back a little every day." Unfortunately, there's no rehab for coke-drinkers, so you've gotta do it yourself. Maybe coerce a family member into keeping you accountable.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'd worry more about the cigs than the cokes.