Potatoes!!

Options
Hi
When I cook home made chips I always weigh the potato out before and cook it with the skin. When I log it on mfp though, I always put it in as "potatoes - white flesh in skin baked. So should I be weighing the potatoes after they are cooked, because it says "baked" in the description? Or am I doing it right weighing before? I weighted both today and there is a rather large difference when weighed cooked and uncooked!
Thanks everyone!
May

Replies

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. Hope someone can answer for you. I'm interested to know and now I want to make my own homemade chips so off to find a recipe.
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You've been doing it correctly; definitely weigh it before. To make your life easier for next time just type in or scan the bar code of the exact brand of the potatoes from the bag that they came in (ie. Green Giant).
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you weigh the potato raw, then log it as "potatoes - white, flesh and skin, RAW"....not baked. If you weigh it raw, log it as raw.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you weigh the potato raw, then log it as "potatoes - white, flesh and skin, RAW"....not baked. If you weigh it raw, log it as raw.

This. The weight difference comes from the water lost during baking. If you listed it under raw but with the after baking weight, your calorie count would be way off. You'd actually be consuming more calories than you are logging because you've made the potato more calorie dense per volume.
  • mayannjones
    mayannjones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I always cook home made chips, just with a bit of fry light it's so easy! I have searched the database and found "potatoes flesh and skin raw" so I think I'll use that method now. I think that's more accurate because when I logged the calories for baked potato and used the raw weight, the calories were horrific!
    I googled the average and that sounds about right.
    Thank you all
    May