Arkansas...the good and the bad

Options
mycrazy8splus1
mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
We are thinking of moving to Arkansas. If you live there or have lived there I would love to hear what you think of it. We are a homeschooling family so if you have any experience with that I'd love to hear what you dealt with on that front as well. We are looking for a small community (the more rural the better) but something that has opportunities for my kids (wrestling, skateboarding, 4-H, ect). Thanks

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    is there no one from Arkansas on here???
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Never lived there, but Eureka Springs is nice. Mountain Home is very rural and seemed like a nice place, although we were only there for a couple of days. During a road trip we passed through Toad Lick and a town simply named 56. Both towns had less that 5 buildings. It's a beautiful state.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Never lived there, but Eureka Springs is nice. Mountain Home is very rural and seemed like a nice place, although we were only there for a couple of days. During a road trip we passed through Toad Lick and a town simply named 56. Both towns had less that 5 buildings. It's a beautiful state.

thank you. Mountain Home is very close to one of the places we are thinking of going. I also am interested in moving to Flippin.....'cause it would be funny to tell people I'm moving to Flipping Arkansas!! lol :laugh:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    mountain home or eureka springs would be my choices, but I think with my (fishing) rod.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    mountain home or eureka springs would be my choices, but I think with my (fishing) rod.

LOL. My hubby thinks with his gun and rod too! :laugh: :tongue:
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    any other thoughts?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Why move to Arkansas when you can move to NorCal?
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    cost of living, closer to family (but not too close), politics
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I live in Fort Smith. It's more mid west.
    NorthWest AR has great opportunities, growning like crazy and there are tons of small rural communities around still close to all the fun.
    I don't have any advice as far as home schooling...Good Luck finding the right fit for you :)
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I live in Arkansas. I've met several people that have moved here for one reason or another and I've always wondered why anyone would want to live here? I'm an Arkansan born and raised, but I often wonder what it would be like to live someplace else.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I live in NW Arkansas & enjoy fishing, hiking, cycling (road & mountain) camping, kayaking. Lots of places to go both in town & in the country. We have the Ozark Highlands Trail, Bassmasters, diamonds, ect. Also have good schools, restaurants, UofA, affordable housing. It all depends on what you are looking for. Visit & see if it looks good to you. ( have also lived in Oregon & coastal Maryland) I moved away a couple of times but am now here to stay
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    looks like we will be more in the Malvern, AR area. We are able to live anywhere within an hours drive of there. If anyone has info on that area. I'd love to hear more about it!
  • kgammage86
    kgammage86 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm from Gurdon Arkansas. Its about 1 hour from Malvern. There isn't really a whole lot to do in Gurdon unless your an outdoors person. We hunt, fish, go to the river, that kind of thing. There are several sports offered although i'm not quite sure if wrestling is one of those. Arkadelphia is about 15 minutes away & I think they have a skateboarding park.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    awesome! We are big outdoorsy people. My kids would rather hike than play video games any day. The kids main interests are skateboarding/bmx biking and wrestling. Hubby loves hunting and fishing. I love doing anything that makes them all happy. We looked at a place in Gurdon yesterday on the web.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been in Little Rock Arkansas for about 13 years now. I am a native of New Orleans, and have lived in Chicago, Boston, Ny, and the Caribbean. I am in a job that allows me to live pretty much anywhere I wish, and I CHOOSE to live in Arkansas. Its a beautiful state, cost of living is low, we have a good selection of restaurants and social events, and TONS of outdoor activities. Little Rock has pretty active biking and running clubs, plus loads of other sports (I have several friends that are avid Kayakers for example). the hunting and fishing opportunities, are plentiful, as are nature hikes, climbing, etc.

the people have been wonderful and I now consider it home. feel free to msg me if you have any questions.

Mike
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My folks lived about 25 miles east of Mountain Home on the lake. Mountain Home is a very nice town. seemed like there were plenty of oppurtunities for kids and extra curricular activities form what I remember. Nice folks in that area.
  • GeekTink
    GeekTink Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I live in Mtn. Home, AR. Arkansas is a very beautiful state, and is abundant in parks and rivers and lakes. It is a great place to raise kids, and I know that at least our community has a wonderful 4-H club. Message me with any other questions if you want to!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Well the only football team there is called the Razorbacks

Consider revising your plan
  • cstahnke
    cstahnke Posts: 6
    Options
    We lived in Arkansas for 5 years, after growing up in Utah and living for many years in Colorado. I consider Colorado to be my home and I live just ouside of Denver. I hated Arkansas and couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. Sorry, I know that sounds rude perhaps but it depends on who you are. My brother still lives there and absolutely loves it. Very rural areas, small town feel. Here is what i didn't like: I felt the schools were not good, drugs were a huge concern, as was the obesity epidemic, I felt there were very few opportunities for my kids once they graduated school and I just never could find anyone I related to. I'm rather liberal, a democrat, not religious, enjoy intellectual conversations and like to go shopping. I like the snow and cool weather, I hate heat, I hate humidity and the bugs, oh my god the bugs were terrifying! Arkansas had nothing to offer me in this area. It could be just my own personal experience so I apologize if I seem rude about it. My brother just loves the rural life and has 3 acres with a shop he built and some chickens, a tire swing, fire pit, he really loves it.
    We lived in Heber Springs, north central Arkansas. We also lived near Cabot for awhile and finally in Maumelle before calling it quits. Maumelle was by far the best!
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have been in Little Rock Arkansas for about 13 years now. I am a native of New Orleans, and have lived in Chicago, Boston, Ny, and the Caribbean. I am in a job that allows me to live pretty much anywhere I wish, and I CHOOSE to live in Arkansas. Its a beautiful state, cost of living is low, we have a good selection of restaurants and social events, and TONS of outdoor activities. Little Rock has pretty active biking and running clubs, plus loads of other sports (I have several friends that are avid Kayakers for example). the hunting and fishing opportunities, are plentiful, as are nature hikes, climbing, etc.

the people have been wonderful and I now consider it home. feel free to msg me if you have any questions.

Mike

Did you work in the Caribbean? I looked into that a while back (Aruba too) and it seemed almost impossible to find a job there. They gave priority to current residents (which I agree with), so I was pretty much out of the picture.