Low Carb High Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    LOL @ Bros trying to force their macro ratios on other people. The best thing I can suggest it just having a variety of protein sources at home and log those first and then fill in your carbs as you decide during the day. IE: I know I'm going to salmon tomorrow and XYZ I may decide to eat oatmeal, maybe not... I could eat some bananas instead.. It's getting warm out so, everything grilled would be wonderful especially since vegetables are so low carb it's negligible.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I love my bfast of wholegrain toast with nutella and banana I would be sads to see it go...cannot stand peanuts/ or any nuts so thats out. But mmmmmmmmm omelettes and egg dishes...I eat alot of stuff like that in the summer. Right I am making a list.

love this breakfast too - try adding PB2 for a wee bit more protein :)
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    Whats PB2?
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi PB2 is peanut butter with all the fat suck out of it. It comes in powdered form I use it. I also have a great Pinterest board with lots of low carb recipes
    http://pinterest.com/HeathCoach/food-for-my-clients/
    Hope this helps!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you re-read what I wrote. I said 40/40/20.....is lower carb for ME. As in compared to what I previously ate.

I am a Paediatric Nurse and my son has had hirschprungs all his life he is almost 7.

Low residue foods. So basically clean eating is what is recommended to enable him to pass things better.
    I appreciate your input. Whether you have a medical background or not. This is something that works for my son and what we have been sorta doing for the past 4/5 years.

I wish people would actually read and take in what i type.

Well thats different I know most of the nursing interventions that talk about hirschprungs talks about increasing fiber intake to help create bulk for motility. I know that most of the things are individualized.. The only reason I mentioned that is because you said your son would benefit off of a 40/40/20 diet. At the same time macronutrient composition does not affect the residual of the food you consume. Anyways.

If you truly want to gain strength you should focus your protein intake around the amino acids that are specifically related to muscle repair and growth.
    I am not sure if you are aware of the changes in research in regards to the "muscle building" amino acid. Most gym rats claim its glutamine is the magical amino acid
    Glutamine's function is used for burns and trauma
    Leucine actually has the function that glutamine was said to do as far as increased strength, repair, etc

The 3 main AAs you want to look for are isoleucine, leucine, and valine
    While there is nothing wrong with getting protein intake from other sources, Animal based protein still has the best amino acid profile.

Not all protein is equal.
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey I am wondering how the chia seeds thicken your drink up. Is it really thick after the chia seeds absorb liquid? Just curious cause I am simply putting them in water and drinking right now. Thanks.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I rely heavily on eggs...in salads, at breakfast. Also sausage, pepperoni sticks, beef jerkey for "on the go". I have 1/3 cup of whole almonds daily, and if i'm still low I boost my protein with a whey drink (awesome recipe: 1 scoop chocolate whey powder, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 cup water) it is 300 calories, but it's damn good after a work out. Load up your veggies, decrease your fruit (I'm not saying never eat fruit, just be careful), if you are going to eat bread and noodles, make it whole wheat, switch white potatoes to sweet potatoes, don't drink your calories (unless it's the awesome protein drink i suggested ;) Wrap your lunch meat in lettuce instead of bread, if you have a Costco, they have a higher % meat protein in their deli meat then any other deli meat. Lots of fish, and chicken, and turkey (I don't eat a ton of red meat either). I try and keep my carbs to around 100g a day, because I'm a carb wh0re! no more crackers, I put my spreads on cucumber or zuccini slices, i still eat chips but only on weekends lol and i now eat full fats. Mayonnaise instead of salad dressing, I no longer buy "light" or "reduced" anything.