Does walking at lunch really help?

Options
here2bme
here2bme Posts: 63 Member
I can squeeze in anywhere from 1/2 mile to a whole mile most lunches. I hear all the time "every bit helps", but it is a very quick, short walk. If it doesn't really help I just assume get some household chores done. But if it really does then I would probably be more inclined to do it more often!

Replies

• lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree with "every little bit helps," but if you only have a limited time to work out, there are probably more effective things you could do. Depending on where during your lunch, could you try an intense weight-lifting circuit? That would probably get your heart rate up a little more.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It helps compared to sitting on your butt, but if you would otherwise be doing chores, by all means do chores. Assuming the chores involve moving, I mean.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary that showed walking after a fatty meal reduced the fat in the bloodstream and sent it to the muscles to be used up!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Every bit does help and adds up. I used to only walk 10 minutes a day on my first break and noticed a difference. I now walk both breaks (20 minutes) and most of my lunch (50 minutes) and take as many opportunities to get out of my desk and walk during the day as I can. Anything you can do to get your active will help. If you are working your buns off on chores, then it would probably be better for you to do that. I pick walking because I can't do weight lifting on my lunch and its too hot to go for a run. If I worked closer to home though I'd probably go home and bust my butt cleaning.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    That's how I started. I'd walk during my lunch break at work. I started by being able to fit in a mile during the hour, and eventually made it to where I could fit in two and still have time to spare. I eventually moved on but I'm very fond of the memories.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Surely it can't hurt!
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think every little bit helps. However, you'd probably burn just as many calories doing household chores as you would taking a short walk. So I'd probably do the chores - that way you're killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If it gets your heart rate up it should help but think of all the benefits other than weight loss too. It should improve your mood, relieve stress and increase energy helping your afternoon to go more smoothly.
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Walking is better than sitting on your tush!! :)
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I walk or ride my bike every lunch for about 40 - 50 minutes. It gives me some calories to play with but mostly it helps my state of mind. Fresh air and exercise are important ingredients to a healthy lifestyle.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Lunch is really the only time I have right now to work out - so I take a good paced walk for 1/2 hour. I notice the difference in my weight loss and body tone. it's good ♥
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    i started out walking every day on my break and haven't stopped. For the longest time it was 1.27 miles then my manager let me combine my breaks and i walk 2.38 miles every day. No, it doesn't sound like much but compared to doing absolutely nothing it's a marathon. Don't find excuses not to do it, find excuses to do it!

#BattleMode
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    if you walk briskly enough, you can very easily do 1 full mile in under 30 min (my average is 26-29 min).
    i measured this using my FitBit (it shows distance traveled). I walked at lunch when it was cold by traveling all the floors in my building end to end, up to the top floor and back down. It took me anywhere from 26 to 29 min and when I subtracted my starting distance, I got a little over 1 mile. And really does help!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I find that after I eat if I go for a walk it gives me the time to feel full. So rather than sitting at my desk thinking about how I would like a cookie or some chocolate I am being active with a full feeling belly. I'm not sure that it does a whole lot but that's jsut my personal experience/ observation with it. Also it can help clear your head which makes the rest of the work day easier psychologically.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have two 15 minute breaks I take each day and I do 1 mile for each break. That is definitely burning more calories than sitting at my desk. About an extra 150 more than sitting actually. So all good.
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the tips! I could fit in a round of a weight lifting circuit instead! So.....walking trumps setting on my butt, chores trump walking, weight lifting circuit trumps chores (unless company is coming over!)

Thanks for all the advice. I won't feel bad about wanting chores done over walking now. I do love the circuit idea though!
  • kgammage86
    kgammage86 Posts: 15
    Options
    I walk 2 miles everyday & every little bit helps!! I have noticed a difference in my body.
  • 1987SamScott
    1987SamScott Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to walk about 1 mile in my lunch break. I'm no professional (you can tell by my weight!!!) but common sense would tell you that walking 1/2 mile or one mile is better than sitting down¬!!!!