Anyone else gain inches doing Insanity?? So discouraged!!

Options
alleekat
alleekat Posts: 40 Member
I'm on week 5 (Recovery Week) and my waist has gone up nearly an inch! I honestly don't care about scale weight, I just want to get smaller and more toned.
My fit test results have shown pretty dramatic improvements, so I know I'm pushing. I eat clean (no sugar/dairy/gluten or white carbs). Right now, I'm eating between 1300-1500 calories per day (I used to eat MUCH MUCH less). I'm 39, 5'3.5", ~145lbs (I don't own a scale and the last I was weighed was before starting Insanity).

I know all about water retention in muscles when starting an intense exercise program, but by now I should be seeing some changes in inches.
I'm starting to re-think going forward into month 2, because I simply cannot keep getting bigger.

Anyone else experience this? And maybe - hopefully - had a turnaround??

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 (Recovery Week) and my waist has gone up nearly an inch! I honestly don't care about scale weight, I just want to get smaller and more toned.
    My fit test results have shown pretty dramatic improvements, so I know I'm pushing. I eat clean (no sugar/dairy/gluten or white carbs). Right now, I'm eating between 1300-1500 calories per day (I used to eat MUCH MUCH less). I'm 39, 5'3.5", ~145lbs (I don't own a scale and the last I was weighed was before starting Insanity).

I know all about water retention in muscles when starting an intense exercise program, but by now I should be seeing some changes in inches.
    I'm starting to re-think going forward into month 2, because I simply cannot keep getting bigger.

Anyone else experience this? And maybe - hopefully - had a turnaround??

Thanks in advance!

NOBODY doing Insanity should be eating that little. Did you read the nutrition guide? There's a reason it STARTS at 1500 calories a day and goes up from there.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to go ahead with the second month...you'll see results...sounds like you are doing everything right (maybe you need some more healthy cals?) so stay with it and your body will reward you.

I'm on the same week (Recovery) so if you want to message me and do this together, I'm glad to have an INSANITY friend :)
  • alleekat
    Options

NOBODY doing Insanity should be eating that little. Did you read the nutrition guide? There's a reason it STARTS at 1500 calories a day and goes up from there.

I have read the nutrition guide, and I'm sticking to foods from Tiers 1 & 2 of the Michi's Ladder. Since January, I've been working up from some severe restriction/undereating, so getting up to 1500 is huge step for me. I figured by now, my body would figure out that it's going to get fed/nutrients, so I'm really working on continuing to slowly up calories.
    The guide recommends 1900 calories, which I feel would be too high, for my height/age, even if I weren't working up from very low calories.

Do you think that could cause fat gain?
  • alleekat
    Options
    I would encourage you to go ahead with the second month...you'll see results...sounds like you are doing everything right (maybe you need some more healthy cals?) so stay with it and your body will reward you.

I'm on the same week (Recovery) so if you want to message me and do this together, I'm glad to have an INSANITY friend :)

Thanks! Have you been seeing good results so far?
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've had really good results...more toned, more endurance, etc...I think eating healthy and staying within your calorie goal is key.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm on my last week and have lost a lot of inches. I'm your exact height 5'3.5" I'm USUALLY eating 1400-1900 calories I would say. Maybe try eating more and make sure everything you are eating is real food. I'm struggling because I lost 8 lbs and then gained back like 5 but I have weight to lose. I'm 168. I'm having a hard time not focusing on that since I am losing inches. I guess we will see when I take after pics... But don't give up. Keep going at it. You are SO close to finishing! And focus more on your eating. Add in an apple and pb or something like that.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I have read the nutrition guide, and I'm sticking to foods from Tiers 1 & 2 of the Michi's Ladder. Since January, I've been working up from some severe restriction/undereating, so getting up to 1500 is huge step for me. I figured by now, my body would figure out that it's going to get fed/nutrients, so I'm really working on continuing to slowly up calories.
    The guide recommends 1900 calories, which I feel would be too high, for my height/age, even if I weren't working up from very low calories.

Do you think that could cause fat gain?

Not fat gain but bloating. I think that until you progress further in recovery from your ED you should put high intensity workout programs on hold. The nutritional requirements you have to observe while undergoing a high intensity workout plan are going to be VERY difficult for someone still struggling with ED recovery to meet.
  • diving_elena
    diving_elena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be patient and go for the second month. :smile:
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Please people, read her later post. She's struggling with recovery from an ED which is why she's having a hard time meeting calorie goals. If you aren't taking that into account, you really aren't giving the right advice.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Please people, read her later post. She's struggling with recovery from an ED which is why she's having a hard time meeting calorie goals. If you aren't taking that into account, you really aren't giving the right advice.

:( Sweetie that probably has a lot to do with it. You REALLY need to make sure you are eating more if you are doing these workouts!
  • alleekat
    Options
    Not fat gain but bloating. I think that until you progress further in recovery from your ED you should put high intensity workout programs on hold. The nutritional requirements you have to observe while undergoing a high intensity workout plan are going to be VERY difficult for someone still struggling with ED recovery to meet.

I do make it up to 1500, and I know that some days I'm just not hungry, so I end up around 1350, but I do push for 1500. I thought that would be adequate. I don't feel tired or drag at all during my workout or afterward.
    I've come this far with Insanity. Do you think 1500 is really not enough, and if I really work to up calories, it might produce results?

Thanks again!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I do make it up to 1500, and I know that some days I'm just not hungry, so I end up around 1350, but I do push for 1500. I thought that would be adequate. I don't feel tired or drag at all during my workout or afterward.
    I've come this far with Insanity. Do you think 1500 is really not enough, and if I really work to up calories, it might produce results?

Thanks again!

I think that if eating more than 1500 is such a struggle you should put Insanity on hold and do something milder.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yep insanity requires calories, and I am guessing right now is not the time to be forcing yourself to eat more than necessary until you are mentally there.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later