Counting Calories I *don't* eat

Options
I have to admit, sometimes it's hard working in an office where there is so much unhealthy food available. Donuts at least once or twice a week, some treat for someone's birthday, leftovers from department lunches that were ordered in, bake sale goodies...it's almost endless. I very rarely cave and eat this stuff. I just feel like all the times I say "no" are not adding up like all of the good choices that I make are. I track my daily calories, water, and exercise, but not the stuff I want but don't eat. I know I am making good choices, but it smells like a bakery in here most of the time and sometimes it's hard to focus.

I might start tracking all of the calories from the foods that tempt me but I turn down. Like the donut that I REALLY wanted the other day but politely declined. Boom. 300 calories. The fried chicken wings that were leftover from lunch. Cold fried chicken?! I love that! But I walked away. 65 calories saved for each wing I passed up. Even the cream and sugar I didn't put in my coffee today. I think that tracking what I *don't* eat might motivate me as much as tracking what I do eat.

Sometimes seeing things from a little different perspective helps, ya know?

Replies

• earl_grey
    earl_grey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    LOL, I love this idea! You should start an alternate account where you log these calories every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    The only issue I see is that you are, for the most part, Identifying foods as "good" or "bad" based on caloric density and tracking this way could lead to disordered thinking and a negative relationship with food. While fried chicken and cupcakes may not be good choices as a regular part of your diet, there's nothing wrong with occasional indulgence in such things...food is not inherently "good" or "bad".

I have noticed since I've been here that when people start identifying calorie dense foods as "bad", all sorts of nutrient dense foods get dropped off their diary because they ultimately end up having a bad relationship with food. Avocados are a prime example...as well as nuts and nut butters...very nutritious and very good for you, but also very calorie dense and a lot of people avoid them like the plague and ignore their nutritional value because they're afraid of the big, bad calories and also have a misconception of dietary fat.
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Anything that keeps your focus on the goal is good in my book. Putting the weight on one donut at a time takes a while so taking it off takes some perseverance and effort.

I often think about taking in healthy (or even just healthier) treats to work but most people would rather have biscuits (cookies) and chocolate so I don't waste my energy.
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    The only issue I see is that you are, for the most part, Identifying foods as "good" or "bad" based on caloric density and tracking this way could lead to disordered thinking and a negative relationship with food. While fried chicken and cupcakes may not be good choices as a regular part of your diet, there's nothing wrong with occasional indulgence in such things...food is not inherently "good" or "bad".

I have noticed since I've been here that when people start identifying calorie dense foods as "bad", all sorts of nutrient dense foods get dropped off their diary because they ultimately end up having a bad relationship with food. Avocados are a prime example...as well as nuts and nut butters...very nutritious and very good for you, but also very calorie dense and a lot of people avoid them like the plague and ignore their nutritional value because they're afraid of the big, bad calories and also have a misconception of dietary fat.

I do occasionally indulge. I even had a small ice cream cone for dinner last night because I really wanted one. I eat pizza, drink wine, and don't live on low calorie stuff. I know enough about food to know that there are healthy, calorie rich foods and unhealthy ones, too. I love avocado, and I don't really compare it to a donut, which has pretty much zero nutritional value. I just know that for me, and I'm sure for others, the "this one donut won't hurt me" mentality is how we gained a few extra pounds. It's also why tracking food intake is so helpful.

Of course there is more to being healthy and balanced, I just like the idea of counting the 3500+ crappy-food calories I didn't eat and seeing it as a pound I didn't gain. :-)
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    I often think about taking in healthy (or even just healthier) treats to work but most people would rather have biscuits (cookies) and chocolate so I don't waste my energy.

I created a recipe for cookies that uses spelt or quinoa flour (any whole grain flour works, really) oats, flax, honey, dark chocolate, walnuts, and cranberries that are a huge hit at work. I don't tell anyone how good they are for you (in moderation of course) because I think that might psych some people out. A little trickery in the name of health is ok in my book. My kids like them too!