I need weeknight casserole dish ideas!

Options
SimmonsNC
SimmonsNC Posts: 3
I'm just on the look out for some new easy to make casserole dishes for the weeknights since my hubby works and my attention rests in the little hands of my 3mo daughter. So quick, easy and yummy dishes welcome! Anything would be nice any kind of dish meat or meatless, red meat or poultry, carb or carb-less. I'm open to all suggestions. Please and Thank You!

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Tonight we had a chicken, chickpea and tomato chilli with bulgar wheat on the side
    I heated 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. Added a diced onion, 2 diced bell peppers, 3 crushed garlic cloves. Sauteed them until softened and added a tsp each of cumin and sweet smoked paprika.
    Then added 2 diced red chillies, 3 diced chicken breasts and cooked until chicken was sealed. Added 1/2 drained tin of chickpeas.
    I made up a chicken stock cube and added 1 tbsp tomato puree and a tsp Tabasco sauce and poured into the pan with a tin of chopped tomatoes.
    Left it to cook for 30 minutes and served with lemon bulgar wheat (though would go better with rice). It made 4 portions and both kids liked it!
  • Kforest0714
    Kforest0714 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That recipe sounds awesome!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a lot of low cal casserole options. I've really like all of her recipes.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Screenshot2013-05-01at15418PM_zps854a3779.png
    *i hate the way the names show up, you can see by the calories I used a whole large can of black beans (not 1/2 cup)and a whole can of corn niblets

in a large non stick pot/pan with a bit of oil or cooking spray cook chicken breast (cut up in cubes, or you could just use already cooked chicken breast that you've baked/grilled ahead of time).

Add onions and garlic (chopped) cook until they just start to soften, add minute rice uncooked (enough to make 3 cups prepared), stir it all together, add the corn, beans, seasoning, and the salsa. (You can use 1/2 cup salsa and use 1/2 cup water, this is what is absorbed into the rice OR you can do all salsa but use 1.5 cups which is what I do).

Turn the burner to low and let simmer for 10min.

Turn your oven to 350. pour the whole thing in a casserole dish and then crush up the tortilla chips over top (you can also add cheese on top but I am lactose intolerant so I leave that part out) then stick it in the oven for 15 min.

All of it can be done ahead of time just don't add the tortilla chips until you are going to cook it.