How to get better at running?

Options
hula808
hula808 Posts: 224 Member
I've done some 5k's and 10k races. Times are slower than Id like and Im really pushing myself. What is the best way to get faster and feel easier? Feeling discouraged by having my butt so easily kicked... My goal is a half marathon i under 1:45, 5k regularly under 30minutes (currently hovers between 29-32minutes and my 10k last week was 1:02...would have preferred 50 or less.

Would following a half marathon training program help? I run about 3X's a week between 6-9k. My improvement over the last 6-7 months has been minimal 8k in 52minutes 10k in 1:02...just looking for advice on getting better/faster/easier.
thx

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever got about running is to run more often, and to slow down.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    5k and marathon are going to be different programs.
    under 30 for a 5k is good. you need to do interval training.

I usually do a long run once a week and shorter runs the other 2 days.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    Incorporate interval training. http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Use_interval_training_to_hit_your_5K_and_10K_potential
    I haven't tried to set PRs (I usually forget to look at my time), but running intervals has helped my speed and endurance. Plus I feel pretty badass sprinting on the treadmill, even if only for 30 seconds.
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The best advice I ever got about running is to run more often, and to slow down.

Um...this person already is running halfs, I dont' think that this would be appropriate advice. Maybe for someone who is a beginner, but this person is obviously expert to advanced running.

I would say search out a good training schedule that incoorporates intervals, hills, sprints, and long runs. There are tons of training programs on coolrunning.com and on runner's world.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run more, mostly at an easy pace.

Run more - If you are running 3 times a week then progress will be slow. Run 4 times a week. Later, run 5, 6, or 7 days a week. Run twice a day sometimes.

Mostly at an easy pace. Note that this does not say slow pace. Your easy pace might be slow now but if you train correctly the easy pace will get faster. Easy pace is generally between 70 and 80% max heartrate. If you are tired you can run slower than that and still make progress but progress will be slower.

Running is built on aerobic capacity which is built by running a lot and running long often, mostly at an easy pace.

Read this: Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    stair intervals and lifting
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    get off the road, buy some trail shoes, and hit some hilly trails

you'll be amazed at what will happen to your times.

I went from 10 minute miles to 7:30 miles when I ran trails for a couple of months.
  • zeuslalala
    zeuslalala Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has programs for each skill level, and distance. I have very successfully improved on my times and accomplished my goals following his online programs. Check it out...if someone follows the program, there is no way they dont improve! enjoy.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The only way to get faster is to run faster. Speed work. There is no other way.

That said, you're already plenty speedy. I understand wanting to be speedier, but you should recognize that you are speedy.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    advice from hal higdon on facebook:

TIP OF THE DAY: There are three ways to improve as a runner: 1) run more miles; 2) run what miles you run faster; or 3) continue to run the same number of miles at the same pace, assuming consistency will allow you some improvement. It will, but the other two routes maybe offer a more effective way to achieve your performance goals. Be aware, however, that when you run farther and also run faster, you may increase your risk of injury.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to run more and train in a structured way. 1:45 half is a tad over 8 min/mile pace. Its a realistic goal, but your 10k time is around 10 min/mile currently. I would reset my goals to the 9 min/mile range immediately and then try to get down.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hills and Hal Higdon.
  • short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    You are much further along then me so I have no advice but bumping thread to see if I can learn from this thread.
  • Kasaya20
    Kasaya20 Posts: 17
    Options
    As Runner's World usually puts it "bottom line is, hills make you faster". You need to get a structured training plan; I usually use the Hal Higdon intermediate plan. Go to McMillan running calculator and input your current pace (NOTE: use your current pace and not your desired pace) and try to run different training sessions using the speeds you will get from the calculator. You will need to do speed workouts, tempo runs, hill repeats along with recovery jogs and your usual long run. The plans usually have you switch things up week after week so that you are not overdoing it each week. As you approach closer to race day (assuming that you already have a half in mind that you are going to sign up for) I would strongly encourage you to practice race goal pace on the second half of your long runs. You will also need to put in more days of training as 3 days a week just won't cut it. Good luck and happy training :smile:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    from my experience 2 things: run more and interval training.
    The longer my "long" runs get the faster my "short" runs are (5K PR 24:06, Half PR 1:46- goal is 21 minutes and 1:40 this year)
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've done nine half-marathons and several 10ks and 5ks. My advice to you would be to set one goal at a time. Decide what distance first, and then set a time goal. Since you want to work up to half marathons, I suggest you set a 5k goal for, say, June 15. Then a 10k goal for the end of July. Benefit of this is that it works up to the distance you want to do, and since it's summer, you'll be training for shorter distances when it's hotter out.

Move into half marathon training around August.

Google Hal Higdon. He has a TON of training plans and they are free. Active.com has a number of plans you can buy. I've used both of these options with success.

Generally speaking, interval training makes you faster. The long, slow run gives you endurance. Both kinds of training are important regardless of the distance you're training for because you have train both kinds of muscle fibers. You could also consider a weight training program that focuses on lower body and work your core too. By engaging your body in weight training, you are training every part of your body to support your runs and you'll heal quicker from runs, reduce risk of injury, and your body will move more efficiently, therefore going faster - which is your goal.

Nutrition is important - don't be afraid of carbs, and eat breakfast before you run. Everyone is different so find what works for you. Have protein after a run to heal faster.

Good luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am only a little faster than you are. I can for sure tell you that the longer runs increased my speed for the shorter runs. I did the half in 2:15. I also noticed the my push level dropped for the shorter runs even though they were faster. So, to get that back, I have started doing mixed speed runs and that seems to help. I give all I have for 2 miles, then do an easy 2, and then push it hard for a mile. The other day I did 2 miles in 15 minutes which was a record for me.

This past Sunday I had a PR 10K from the 2 mile push, the mile easy, and another 2 mile push. When I was at the finish, I had nothing left. More details on my progress here.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/finishing-is-winning-525584

You can do it!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Run more, mostly at an easy pace.

Run more - If you are running 3 times a week then progress will be slow. Run 4 times a week. Later, run 5, 6, or 7 days a week. Run twice a day sometimes.

Mostly at an easy pace. Note that this does not say slow pace. Your easy pace might be slow now but if you train correctly the easy pace will get faster. Easy pace is generally between 70 and 80% max heartrate. If you are tired you can run slower than that and still make progress but progress will be slower.

Running is built on aerobic capacity which is built by running a lot and running long often, mostly at an easy pace.

Read this: Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

Scott is a genius! And great MFP friend.