what would you do.......lazy exercize day?

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
I have been working out for regularily for 4+ months and doing well. Today I woke up at 6am and I was so tired that by 8am I needed a nap. I'm not sick, not really "tired" I'm just not myself.

Today is my weight training day. MWF I do the C25K program and T TH I do weight lifing (this will be week 2 for the weight training) and on weekends I can do something/anything or nothing.

I just don't know if I have it in me to do a full out weight training session, I probably could slowly go through the motions and do whats comfortable. (I usually go about 1 hour with warm up and cool down)

or I could just hop on my treadmill and walk and I could probably do an hour since this would be easier, I could do just a slow pace of 2.5 or 3.0 and crank the music and do it.

WHAT IS MORE BENEFICIAL ...... A HALF *kitten* WEIGHT LIFTING SESSION OR A NICE SLOW WALK?

Replies

• 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Why does it have to be half assed? If your going to take the time to workout then you might as well do it well. Thats what I do. :) I would do weights and I would give er, cuz im strong and I know I can even if im tired out.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Sometimes, especially when you've been hitting it hard over the past few weeks/months, the best thing you can do is take an entire week off or two and do absolutely nothing - or maybe just small walks to stay active, but nothing related to what you typically do. Fully recuperate and come back fresh. It can boost you performance and results. This isn't just a working out thing either, it has benefits in sports etc. Rest your body AND mind.
    After the break, your motivation can be very high because you're ready to start again. Your results can also improve because your body is 100% rested and raring to go.

Edit] I also agree with above poster. Do it right or not at all. Leave the being half a$$ed for everyone else.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    If you're that tired you might want to skip the weights- easier to get hurt when you're not up to it mentally or physically. Nothing wrong with giving yourself a break - go for that walk.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would say start doing weights like you normally do. You may be surprised to discover that it will wake you up. It would not surprise me that you could easily do your normal work out, you just need to start.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I'm going to go put on my exercize gear and tell myself I'm ready to do this.....and see how it goes.

I like this: "leave the half assed for everyone else" that made me smile I might even add it to my signature!!

I'm sure I will wake up once I get going and I'll feel so good when I am done!!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Honestly there's nothing wrong if you take a whole days break.....I workout out consistently 6 days a week and sometimes 7; however, if my body says rest, i listen to it....i know you are on a mission, as we all are, but theres never anything wrong with resting....especially if you maintain in your calories.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Shoot, just take the day and enjoy it. You can always make it up on the weekend if you feel more perky :)
  • Sherry44
    Sherry44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I need a lazy workout I get in the pool. It's cool and refreshing, it's different from my normal routine and low impact. Not to mention it's lots of fun! I'm not talking swimming 100 laps, just getting in and having a good time! Go to a local pool/park where you can ride on the slides (walking up those stairs multiple times counts!)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    @ sherry.....not trying to argue because what you said makes sense....but the pool is a very very very large burn if you do actual work outs in the pool.....i burned over 7000 calories last week in the pool.....my body needed the break and yes it seems more relaxing; however, its not a lazy work out and its definitely not a small burn.....just correcting that.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Half the battle is showing up.
    I can't tell you how many days I soo wanted to skip the gym, but once you're there you get going & I've had some of my best days on ones I almost skipped.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, when was the last time you took a day off from exercising?

This sounds like what happened to me a couple months ago. I just couldn't find my go go go. I had been working out hard, eating right and just didn't have any more oomph. Best thing for me was to take a little break to allow my body to catch up with me. My trainer also recommended increasing my calorie intake a bit more since I hadn't been reaching my goal of 2200 cals and my body was needing more calories.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Half the battle is showing up.
    I can't tell you how many days I soo wanted to skip the gym, but once you're there you get going & I've had some of my best days on ones I almost skipped.

you are so right......I ended up doing almost 20 minutes longer than usual and now I feel great!!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Sweetie, when was the last time you took a day off from exercising?

This sounds like what happened to me a couple months ago. I just couldn't find my go go go. I had been working out hard, eating right and just didn't have any more oomph. Best thing for me was to take a little break to allow my body to catch up with me. My trainer also recommended increasing my calorie intake a bit more since I hadn't been reaching my goal of 2200 cals and my body was needing more calories.

I'm going to keep this in mind!! thanks for the info
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Shoot, just take the day and enjoy it. You can always make it up on the weekend if you feel more perky :)

This is a great idea but I am going camping this weekend with my sister and a bunch of other women.....and I think the majority of fri-sun will involve laying on the beach and drinking......so I need to do what I can now to make up for the weekend!! LOL

I do plan on swimming and doing badminton though on the beach and these days I'm not much of a drinker (although I would like to have a few) but I see a bunch of crystal light in my near future as a treat and change from plain ol H2O
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    @ sherry.....not trying to argue because what you said makes sense....but the pool is a very very very large burn if you do actual work outs in the pool.....i burned over 7000 calories last week in the pool.....my body needed the break and yes it seems more relaxing; however, its not a lazy work out and its definitely not a small burn.....just correcting that.

I love swimming........the water/weather here has been too cool lately.....but this weekend I am going camping and I plan on doing a ton of swimming, probably mostly more like aqua size stuff with some "laps" and floating too.......anything is a bonus, but I don't think I'm going to bring my HRM so I won't be able to really calculate the burn to see if it's lazy or high intensity for me or not.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body...it's telling your something. If you don't listen, you may run the risk of overtraining and then facing injury. Take the day off, pick up your strength workout tomorrow and move on. Your body does need true rest.