Running?

Options
Typically I swim, but I would like to get better at running. I ran two days ago on the tred mile at 4.5mph for ten minutes. I know that is extremly slow but I have been out of it for a while. I was thinking maybe if I run for ten minutes 4 times a week two days just straight through and two days intervals between 5mph and 8mph that may help get me back in the game. What do you think? What got you running better, any suggestions?

Replies

• Becks41319
    Becks41319 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am no professional runner but I started with doing time running rather than distance or speed. I tried to run longer every week or two. Just run as long as it feels comfortable, there's nothing wrong with walking the rest of the way to get the burnt calories despite the lack of running time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Honestly....You need to work on duration right now. 10 min is barely a warm up, IMHO
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I would work on duration and then speed. Try the Couch 2 5K program. It's focused and will gradually increase your stamina.
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also suggest a Couch to 5k Program, they work really well. I started one last week, I am in decent shape I do crossfit 5 days a week but I haven't run distances in YEARS so this was the easiest way for me to start the proper way. I use the Zombies, Run couch to 5K program because it is entertaining but there are all kinds of programs out there.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The faster intervals won't do much for you right now. You just need to build aerobic capacity, otherwise known as endurance. That is best done by running easy for longer.

What I did two years ago when I was getting back into it was go out and complete three miles four times a week. Each time I ran as far as I could and when I couldn't run any longer I finished the distance using run/walk intervals. Each time the run got a little longer and the walks a little shorter until after a few weeks I could run three miles.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started running this year. I do not run on a treadmill, but run outside, which, if you can, will build up your endurance better.

Either way, a Couch 2 5k program is a good way to build up endurance; it's what I used starting in January. I also spent time running intervals (15 sec sprints/45 second jog). I run 3 times a week, never two days in a row, to give my legs a chance to recover. I strength train (or play sports) on non-run days.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    As a former hater of running, I second the Zombies, Run! 5k training app. It really helped me get conditioned to longer and longer durations, and I just completed my first 5k! I feel amazing... and I don't hate running any more!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I know ten minutes isnt along time but everyone has to start somewhere I am sure time will increase with time
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would work on duration and then speed. Try the Couch 2 5K program. It's focused and will gradually increase your stamina.

Agree. I just started and it seems to be working well thus far.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    More running makes you a better runner. Just do what you can for as long as you can at this point, then worry about the rest.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Another former hater of running here. I did Couch to 5k. When I finished that I immedialtly moved on to 5k to 10k. I can comfortably run 3.5 miles at 10.5 minute miles. Yup, I am slow. Nope, I don't care. I enjoy it. It is great me time outside in the finally wonderful Spring weather.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    More running makes you a better runner. Just do what you can for as long as you can at this point, then worry about the rest.

^^ This.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Definitely pick duration as a first goal. No matter how slow, try to build up to a longer running time. Lots of people love Couch to 5k (I hated it, I just had to run a bit further every day then walk till I built up to running 2-3 miles at a time) for endurance training!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm starting out, too. I just walked up to the treadmill and said "I'll do my best"...about two weeks ago.

That "best" was a 12:40 mile during which my heart rate peaked over 170 and my HRM was telling me to slow down.

Last night, I did a total of 2.5 miles with at an 11:00 pace (split into two runs with a 4 mile bike "ride" in the middle). I'm beginning to look forward to my nightly bouts with the infernal machine.

For me, I set distance goals: One mile timed run to start (I record my times) and then I do what I feel like after that. I have a goal in the back of my mind of getting to 5k "soon" and I feel like it's within reach. I do record my time, my calorie burn, and I keep track of my run/walk intervals ("How long can I run before I have to take a break and walk?").
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Can u listen to music with the zombies app?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I know ten minutes isnt along time but everyone has to start somewhere I am sure time will increase with time

Ten minutes is a pretty darn good start! Heck, C25K doesn't have you running that much at one time until week 5. Just do what you can, add a little each week and enjoy it!
  • rbro1979
    rbro1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try this.

Forget distances and running time. Find a flat road, put 4/5 songs on your ipod and run till they stop then try and run back before they stop. In two weeks add a song then another and so on and on.

If you exhaust your iTunes playlist move to Kenya and apply for the Olympics!

Have fun

Russ