P90X Women!!! Weights/bands question.

Options
I'm getting ready to start P90X! I am nervous about not having the right weights/bands. What sizes did/do you use?? I think my bands are too heavy. Not sure about the weights I have.

Thanks!!

Replies

• simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Mandy I'm not a woman (lol) but my wife uses 2lb, 5lbs, 8lbs, and 15 lbs for heavy duty execises such as Heavy Pants (you will get to know the names)

The bands are great as well. It is hard to comment on the bands because everyone seems to use different brands, hence different tensions.

Excited for you :)
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Mandy I'm not a woman (lol) but my wife uses 2lb, 5lbs, 8lbs, and 15 lbs for heavy duty execises such as Heavy Pants (you will get to know the names)

The bands are great as well. It is hard to comment on the bands because everyone seems to use different brands, hence different tensions.

Excited for you :)

haha ahhh thank you! That helps a lot! I have some weights. Possibly those sizes so I'll check. And I do have some bands. The tension is 30lbs to 90! That just seems crazy heavy to me. I did month 1 a few years ago and borrowed the beach body smallest set and it was perfect! But I don't have $40 laying around at the moment to buy some. :/
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    EverythingIsTakenAgain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great decision to do P90X! I've done several rounds and love it (and Tony). I have a medium (mine's red) resistance band and dumbbells ranging from 8 lbs to 25 lbs (which I haven't made it up to yet). If I had it to do over again, I'd get a pair of 5 lbs as well since 8 lbs was too much for a couple of exercises and I had to either use no weights or cans of soup, haha.

For your first round, I'd recommend dumbbells ranging from 5-15 lbs. For bands, (I'm assuming you're not using a pull-up bar?) I would say a meduim band would be good - you can add/reduce resistance by moving closer to or farther from wherever you've got the band anchored.

You can always go to a sporting goods store and lift some dumbbells to get a better idea...try doing a couple of curls and overhead tricep extensions to see how much weight you can do then go from there.

Good luck with P90X!
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Great decision to do P90X! I've done several rounds and love it (and Tony). I have a medium (mine's red) resistance band and dumbbells ranging from 8 lbs to 25 lbs (which I haven't made it up to yet). If I had it to do over again, I'd get a pair of 5 lbs as well since 8 lbs was too much for a couple of exercises and I had to either use no weights or cans of soup, haha.

For your first round, I'd recommend dumbbells ranging from 5-15 lbs. For bands, (I'm assuming you're not using a pull-up bar?) I would say a meduim band would be good - you can add/reduce resistance by moving closer to or farther from wherever you've got the band anchored.

You can always go to a sporting goods store and lift some dumbbells to get a better idea...try doing a couple of curls and overhead tricep extensions to see how much weight you can do then go from there.

Good luck with P90X!

Thank you!! I AM using a pull up bar but last time (only got through month 1:/ ) I used the bands with it. So I'll probably be using either the heavy bands I have for that or use a chair for assistance. I just looked at my weights and I have 3's, 5's 8's and then some heavy ones my husband uses. Dang. I may have to make it work till pay day lol.
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just started a couple weeks ago and right now I use 5lb for shoulders and triceps and 8lb for biceps, but going to move up to 10lb for biceps soon. I either use 5 or 8 with legs, depending on the exercise. I don't have a pull-up bar so I use the blue band (heavy) for those exercises.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You have more than enough to begin. Try a combo of bands and pull ups. Start with assisted pull ups and when you get fatigued go to the bands. Pull ups are hard but keep at it because they are so beneficial, my wife is banging out 6 unassisted pull ups now. Thats more than me (whoops did i say that lol)
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys!! I'm so excited to start!! I'll start with what I have and get what I am lacking if anything after pay day lol