Over training

Options
I was doing 45 minutes of weights, followed with 30 minutes cardio 4 x a week and insanity workout in the afternoons 5 days a week, I didn't loose any weight ( in fact went from 105 to 108) and only lost maybe a half inch and started feeling really run down. My question is can you over train and I still wonder if the reason I felt run down was mental because I expected to see results after 6 weeks. When I didn't see the results I wanted to achieve I started getting discouraged. I have decided to take a break form insanity for a week. I will start back up next week for only 3 days a week and continue to do my daily weights and cardio. But how much weight versus cardio, should I do

Replies

• chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    what exactly are you trying to do? you are likely overtraining if after all that you didn't lose much. were you eating clean and within your caloric range too?

if you aren't eating properly, you are also sabotaging your results.

dial it back a little; focus on what you're trying to achieve fitness wise... definition? mass? lose fat? once you figure out what your fitness goals are, then select a program to help get you there. and be patient; you can't get shaun t's body in 6wks. that is from YEARS of training and eating clean.

if you want to lose fat, insanity is the way to go. if you want to put on some muscle, p90x or body beast are good programs. you can do a hybrid program where you alternate weights and ardio every other day ie. you follow the p90x calendar for weights but on the days where it's plyo or kenpo etc, you sub in an insanity workout.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You gained muscle mass (and water weight) and lost inches. You were over training and felt bad because you were overloading your kidneys. Drink lots of water and take a day or two off during the week.
  • tagiriga
    tagiriga Posts: 17
    Options
    Insanity is a very tough program and would normally be done by itself since it is so intense and requires a lot of energy. I do think you are doing too much especially when you do not have much to lose and you say you are feeling run down. Also, if you are doing Insanity and weight training you are more likely going to gain weight due to building lean muscle so do not measure progress from weight. If you are feeling run down then you are and you need to ease up a little. I recommend you do not do any other workouts on days you do Insanity. Find a better balance instead of 2 a days a majority of the week. Forget about your weight, keep training as you wish, make sure you are eating tons of calories to fuel all your workouts and listen to your body. Hope that helps!

Good Luck!