carbs

Options
can you lose weight eating under 100 mg carbs a day? i feel 20 is just not enough but i want to limit my carb intake. will i see results at 80 to 100 carbs a day?

Replies

• surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 150-200 carbs on a regular basis, Hasn't hindered me a bit. You can't live on minimal carbs the rest of your life, moderation is they key. Cut it out completely and eventually you're gonna binge.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just avoid specific carb sources if you know they trigger "binge-like" behavior (like "chips" or candy or ice cream or whatever your specific traps are). Eat any carbs that allow you to say "no more" at a reasonable intake.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't influence weight loss, calories do. Stay within your calorie goal each day and you'll see the weight come off. Make sure you're eating enough calories too - www.fitnessfrog.com is a good resource to calculate what you really need.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating any amount of carbs per day, providing you don't exceed your total calories and are a person who is metabolically healthy.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's extremely difficult to stay under 20g of carbs a day, especially for an extended amount of time. Now, I didn't say it wasn't possible, just really difficult. Here is a good guide that helped me:

■0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    ■50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.
    ■100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.
    ■150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    ■300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
  • shirdiana
    shirdiana Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was on a low card diet for a year, lost a lot of weight and inches, felt great, but then...when I started eating carbs again, I gained back the weight I lost and then some!! Moderation, I believe is the key!! I am working on portion control, everyone has their own weaknesses. Good luck to you!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I jump around from 80-120g so sounds perfect to me!
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i've been eating around 50g of carbs every day and i have lost weight. you just have to stick to it and be persistent. i let myself go a little bit today (oops) but i'll be back on it tomorrow. ;)
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i was eating less then 20 net carbs per day for almost at year. Lost weight, I upped my carb intake to 50 ish, and am still losing.
  • mbaptiste31
    Options
    Thanks everybody:happy:
  • jennygomez2010
    Options
    Patience. Contrary to the fabulous lies and exaggeration you see on TV commercials, weight loss doesn't happen overnight.

45 minutes a day on the elliptical is good for general health, but unless you're really going at it, probably isn't burning more than 200-300 calories per session. With a pound of fat accounting for 3500 calories, your 3 weeks should have netted 1 pound of weight loss IF you haven't changed your calorie intake at all.

Keep at it, restrict calorie intake, and the results will come. You can check out some programs here www.bestfatlossprograms.com that works well for women
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As you can see everyone has an opinion. I lost 75lbs staying around 100 carbs a day. I stay away from certain carbs too.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You can definitely be successful just eating carbs in moderation. I keep between 80-100 per day, but concentrate mostly on my calorie intake. Carbs are not the enemy.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating any amount of carbs per day, providing you don't exceed your total calories and are a person who is metabolically healthy.
    That is the key.
    It's not as simple as calorie counting/exercise IF you have a metabolic disorder (ie. PCOS, insulin resistance, etc.), where one usually needs to limit carbs in order to see any weight loss. I can attest to that. Some also find that non-veggie carbs can make them feel bloated or sluggish, and therefore choose to limit them.

If you don't have issues like that, there's really no need to limit them. :)
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    It's extremely difficult to stay under 20g of carbs a day, especially for an extended amount of time. Now, I didn't say it wasn't possible, just really difficult. Here is a good guide that helped me:

■0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.
    ■50-100 grams per day: Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.
    ■100-150 grams per day: Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.
    ■150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.
    ■300+ grams a day: Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

This.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    That is the key. It's not as simple as calorie counting/exercise IF you have a metabolic disorder (PCOS, insulin resistance, etc.) where one usually needs to limit carbs in order to see weight loss. I can attest to that.

Some also find that non-veggie carbs can make them feel bloated or sluggish, and therefore choose to limit them.

If you don't have issues like that, there's really no need to limit them. :)

This
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Bookyeti knows what she's talking about.

As for me, personally, I find it much easier to stay at or below 2000 calories on a ketogenic diet under 20g of carbs per day. I have more energy throughout the day except for weightlifting and sprinting, and sleep better. The losing body fat is a bonus. YMMV.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 150-200 carbs on a regular basis, Hasn't hindered me a bit. You can't live on minimal carbs the rest of your life, moderation is they key. Cut it out completely and eventually you're gonna binge.

Actually, you can live on minimal carbs for the rest of your life. It's quite easy, too (and no, you won't inevitably binge on carbs if you're eating a healthy, non-junkfood diet and don't fear fat). Carbs actually aren't an essential nutrient, the body can produce what it needs, and you can get a good amount of dietary carbs through vegetables (which have the added bonus of being largely bioavailable fiber and complex carbs, as well as having tons of micronutrients).
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can live on minimal carbs for the rest of your life. It's quite easy, too (and no, you won't inevitably binge on carbs if you're eating a healthy, non-junkfood diet and don't fear fat). Carbs actually aren't an essential nutrient, the body can produce what it needs

i-have-just-met-you-and-i-love-you_1273.gif