I eat alot of fruit..I mean ALOT. Is that bad?

Options
I have come to terms and can now say I'm addicted to fruit! I eat it all the time. Like today for example: I ate about 5 large strawberries for breakfast, Grapes for lunch, 5 more strawberries for one of my snacks, now I just knocked out an orange, some pineapple chunks and apple sauce. My diary is saying I have had 75g of sugar...and thats after exercise which I am sure takes some away!

My question is, will all of this fruit make me gain? I stay under my calorie micros, but Im worried all of this sugar will make me gain!

I know there are worse things I could be addicted to like icecream or something!

Replies

• Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It won't affect your weight. I used to care about sugar, but now I don't. It was just wearing me down mentally to try and stay below that ridiculous number that sugar gets set to on MFP. My rationale is that, it's better than what I would otherwise be eating to satisfy my sugar cravings (chocolate bars). Plus, you're getting nutrition as well from fruits. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have had to cut back on my fruit consumption. I found it was replacing the proteins and veggies I needed to be eating. I limit it to 1-3 servings per day
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Unles you have a medical reason that requires you to restrict/keep an eye on your sugar, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    That is not a lot of fruit. It's normal. Lots would be like me.... grapefruits ( about 2 a day), one banana, a box ( 1lbs ) strawberries, apples ( fuji large ) about 2, and tangerines ( mini, little ones, about 10 ).
    There , did I make you feel better?
    So I don't think you have too much fruit, unless you are a diabetic or something. Fruit won't make you gain, at least surely not the amounts you eat.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    It won't affect your weight. I used to care about sugar, but now I don't. It was just wearing me down mentally to try and stay below that ridiculous number that sugar gets set to on MFP. My rationale is that, it's better than what I would otherwise be eating to satisfy my sugar cravings (chocolate bars). Plus, you're getting nutrition as well from fruits. I wouldn't worry about it.

This. ^^

I love fruit and always go over my sugar from it.
    Fruit didn't make me gain weight and it hasn't prevented me from losing consistently.

It's those damn sour patch kids you should worry about! lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Other than the possibility that you might not be getting sufficient protein from your daily calorie allotment, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You don't eat a lot of fruit. THIS WOMAN eats a lot of fruit: http://thebananagirl.com/
  • pitterpatti
    pitterpatti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You don't eat a lot of fruit. THIS WOMAN eats a lot of fruit: http://thebananagirl.com/

^^This

She eats a ridiculous amount of fruit and is crazy fit
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I have come to terms and can now say I'm addicted to fruit! I eat it all the time. Like today for example: I ate about 5 large strawberries for breakfast, Grapes for lunch, 5 more strawberries for one of my snacks, now I just knocked out an orange, some pineapple chunks and apple sauce. My diary is saying I have had 75g of sugar...and thats after exercise which I am sure takes some away!

My question is, will all of this fruit make me gain? I stay under my calorie micros, but Im worried all of this sugar will make me gain!

I know there are worse things I could be addicted to like icecream or something!

are you eating at a deficit? if so, you're fine.

only thing is that the pineapple chunks and apple sauce aren't reeeeally just fruit sugars, but there are a lot of added sugars as well, which could pose more of a problem. I'd suggest skipping the canned and packaged fruit products and stick to fresh.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hahah...If you think that's a lot of fruit, you definitely don't have to worry about having too much of it.

Often I have a banana, an apple and a pear in my morning green smoothie alone (gotta take the taste of kale, spinach and romaine out, hah). And a proper serving of strawberries in my eyes is a pound. I snack on fuji apples, grapes, and water melon throughout the day.

I wouldn't worry about the sugar. I did have to cut down on my fruit, however, because I was too full from eating fruit that I started to lose too much weight. Had to leave room for my protein and fats!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Your lots of fruit is smaller then my meal..... for lunch I ate watermelon, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, navel orange, raspberries and blueberries oh and cantaloupe (about 1/2 cup measurement of each except blueberries about 1/4cup, along with cottage cheese, marble cheese and pickles). Plus I have fruit for breakfast and supper.... and I've lost 85 lbs eating this way, my husband has lost more than 70 lbs, along with nuts and cheese.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Your lots of fruit is smaller then my meal..... for lunch I ate watermelon, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, navel orange, raspberries and blueberries oh and cantaloupe (about 1/2 cup measurement of each except blueberries about 1/4cup, along with cottage cheese, marble cheese and pickles). Plus I have fruit for breakfast and supper.... and I've lost 85 lbs eating this way, my husband has lost more than 70 lbs, along with nuts and cheese.

and you get adequate protein and fat in your diet?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    While many people would disagree with this, I believe that there are two categories of fruits: ones that are good for dieting/losing weight, and ones that are not.

The best fruits you can eat for dieting are:
    1. Berries (Raspberries/Strawberries are especially good)
    2. Cherries
    3. Apples/Pears
    4. Peaches/Apricots

The worst fruits to eat for dieting are:
    1. Melon (Very high in sugar!)
    2. Mangoes/Papayas
    3. Pineapples
    4. Grapes (Very high in sugar!)

While all fruit is good for you, technically, I would stick to limiting your intake of sugary fruits and perhaps increasing your intake for less-sugary fruits to compensate. There are worse things you could be eating than fruit, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat protien as well as good fats, along with my large quantity of fruit. I get my carbs from fruit. I try to eat no proccessed foods or refined sugar.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    While many people would disagree with this, I believe that there are two categories of fruits: ones that are good for dieting/losing weight, and ones that are not.

2. Cherries
    3. Apples/Pears
    4. Peaches/Apricots

2. Mangoes/Papayas
    3. Pineapples

While all fruit is good for you, technically, I would stick to limiting your intake of sugary fruits and perhaps increasing your intake for less-sugary fruits to compensate. There are worse things you could be eating than fruit, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

this is ridiculous. all fruit is high in sugar. fortunately it's also attached to fiber, so it doesn't spike your insulin response the way fruit juice, soda, or refined sugars would.

there are not two different categories.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I know it isn't for everyone, but I never worry about any fruit I eat at all.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are getting enough of a variety of vegetables as well, leafy greens and dark orange especially. I was also surprised by going over my sugar number with fruit... I only allow myself 1 1/2-2 pieces a day until I lose more weight. Also, you can eat lots of watermelon - 2 cups is only like 80 calories and 8g sugar. You don't want to use up all of your calories with fruit, you need to get all your other nutrients - and you can eat WAY more vegetables than fruit for the same amount of calories!
  • taylorxpaige
    taylorxpaige Posts: 34 Member
    Options

2. Cherries
    3. Apples/Pears
    4. Peaches/Apricots

2. Mangoes/Papayas
    3. Pineapples

this is ridiculous. all fruit is high in sugar. fortunately it's also attached to fiber, so it doesn't spike your insulin response the way fruit juice, soda, or refined sugars would.

there are not two different categories.

Like I said, many people are going to disagree with this. It is linked to fiber, correct. But, some fruit provided absolutely miniscule amounts of fiber for a lot of sugar. Fruit is very good for you, I am not discounting that. Again, the categories are not real. Just what some people think. No need to be rude.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That's not a lot of fruit. Now if you were eating 5 bananas instead of 5 strawberries that would be a lot of fruit. Make sure you are also eating your veggies and other healthy goodness and if you're continuing to lose I wouldn't worry about it.