Clean, fresh, RAW Challenge for JULY!!!

Options

Replies

• kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We are on the final stretch now!! Less than two weeks to go! How is everyone doing? I'm on day 2.5 at Banana Island and I very well see this going on for at least another week as we have another tree that is ready to go!! I had a bit of mucus today :( thinking maybe I have some unraw nuts or something in the house.

Very excited for you Naoka!! This is definitely your time! I will have to check out his site. I've been thinking about trying to give stuff like that to my husband and see if I can win him over :D
  • Naokoheart
    Naokoheart Posts: 161
    Options
    @Mindelicious:

I'm not following banana island very strictly as I buy my fruits daily from the market,always looking out for organic and fairtrade,and I saw these wonderful cantaloupe melons for sale and I just grabbed them! LOL

Ok so later on in the day I just found some fermented bananas in my cupboard not the best thing to see....,sorted out the ones that were not so bad from the ones that were practically melted and put the not so bad ones in the fridge and the melted ones right in the trash,ew...

Chilled bananas are not as bad as I thought,that banana recipe list you posted is great! xD
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    how is everyone doing?

does anyone else feel not as hungry eating this wonderul raw food way of life? it is very yummy and I love everything I eat, (well not that bitter bitter juice from last week I can do with out that one) .

I eat when I am hungry, if I am not I don't.
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Feeling less hungry definitely happens to some because your able to taking in & absorbing vitamins!! This is why people will eat a huge old McD's meal and be hungry a little while later - they took in calories but there was no nutrition and in that the body is starved. glad your having such a wonderful time!! I'm jealous that you can just eat when your hungry....I have to make sure I pack it in during the day otherwise at night I will get uncontrollable urges & cravings to binge on hummus & pita bread, chips & salsa!! As long as I take in enough fruit carbs I'm always fine.

Naoko - I was thinking a lot about banana island and I like your strategy. Adam (used to be on 30bad) was like the nutrition expert - studied LFRV & was pretty much a genius in that department. Well I've been looking over all of this past posts and I'm trying to consolidate a lot of the info. One thing I don't like about bananas is that the phosphourus & calcium levels aren't ideal without other food intervening to increase the calcium......now when not on BI I think its great because they are cheap, increase your calories & can be balanced out with other foods. But while at BI if there are previous deficiencies or if BI goes for to long there could be issues with calcium.

Ah well I'll just post what I have so far... Maybe it can help answer some questions or worries
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Because our bodies do better with raw foods our guidelines change. This is why most other country's RDAs are so much lower than the US because their diets are better. If you compare this info with the UK's this is still even higher in most cases! These are my notes taken from Adam (nutrition genius on 30BAD) and other various sources - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. If your diet does not consist of very high raw or you consume meat/dairy/eggs then these statements probably do not apply to you.

General Guidlines for a rounded nutrient rich day:
    Papaya, mango, and/or kiwi (vitamin e & overall great nutrients)
    Bananas - calories & easily digestible
    Dates, figs, raisin (various dense nutrients)
    6-10% of calories from LEAFY GREENS (romaine, spinach etc)
    citric acid (citrus fruit) or malic acid (apples, pear) with LEAFY GREENS (vit C & iron together = better absorption)
    Brazil nut (selenium)

SETTING UP YOUR VITAMINS/NUTRIENTS with a program like Cronometer (not sure why MFP doesn't do all this)

Vitamins:
    Make B-12 = 0 Either your body will make b12 or take the shots. Our soils are so depleted that getting B12 naturally is very hard. Some people with uncompromised digetive systems will produce their own. To be safe just get your levels checked after a couple months of raw
    Make Vit D = 0 Vit D get from the sun
    Vitamin E 10mg - which is still double the barest minimum you need (LF doesn’t need as much)

Minerals:
    Calcium 500mg
    Phosphorus 500mg (NEVER more than calcium - a daily check should be made that it doesn't excede calcium)
    Iron 8-16mg as your minimum (because you are taking in all non-heme it will be absorbed better)
    Selenium - really only need 20mcg but I just leave it at the RDA and have a brazil nut each day to cover it
    Sodium - you will always be lacking here - we really don’t need that much sodium - I changed mine to 250 just so that there is something to shoot for - good sodium source: celery
    Zinc - you will usually be shy of the RDA however on this diet again you will be assimilating it much easier

Lipids:
    Omega 6 from 2-3 (you want the ratio of omegas 3:6 ideally at 1:1, 1:4 is ok and never more than 1:5)

--ADAM'S NOTES--
    VARIOUS
    selenium : should be about 20.4mcg as the barest minimum.
    vitamin E: as long as you're getting 5mg or more, you will likely be fine. obviously higher is better, but since youre on a low fat diet, vitamin E is not needed in massive concentrations. There's no definitive number for vitamin E.
    Iron & Vit C : (The easiest to absorb type of iron is non-heme (plant based). Spinach has more iron per gram than beef. Iron "deficiency" is not a supply problem but an absorption problem.)
    If you have a developing cancer into your body, iron will make it grow fast. The body puts down iron levels often to fight cancer-cells, so the cancer-cells do not get enough of it and are better to fight for your immune system.
    If you eat Vitamin C with non-heme iron(type in fruits/veggies) it is better absorbed than heme iron(found in meat)
    Phosphorous: needs to be monitored in relation to calcium (in many ways more important to know than calcium intake, since our calcium requirements are actually only around 450mg on a diet containing no animal protein and low sodium...whats important is that our phosphorus is in a 1:1 ratio to calcium, or that calcium is higher - if phosphorous is more your body zapps calcium from other sources to balance it out). Zinc is also very important. Again our requirements are much lower on this diet, but are still important.
    Amino Acids: Similarly, as well as total protein intake, our amino acid levels are important. Usually people are low in methionine. This is a good thing in some regards, since we dont need that much methionine and high methionine is not good. However we do still have requirements which are often not met. Methionine is important for red blood cell/haemoglobin production, and hence tissue oxygenation, and for hence for iron usage. Its also important for liver detoxification. Essential infact. We need around 10mg/kg body weight of methionine, or 13-15mg/kg bodyweight of total methionine and cysteine. In this way, if our cysteine intake is sufficient, our methionine levels can be reduced slightly, because the body uses methionine to make cysteine.

PROTIEN (this response was to some who was worried about gaining muscle):
    Your friends are right in saying that you definitely do need protein to repair your muscles and promote muscle growth. But they are wrong in believing that you need more than 10% of your calories to come from protein in order to 'get enough' protein. We actually need only around 3% of calories from protein to get enough, and for a safety assurance, its wise to get 5-7% of calories from protein. That is way more than enough protein anyway, so with a 10% allowance, we can dramatically exceed our actual requirements.

I think the thing that needs to be clarified is that 80/10/10 means that you get a minimum of 80% of your calories from carbs, and a maximum of 10 from fat and 10 from protein.

There are 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat. So if you take a typical requirement of say 3000 calories, that means that you can get anywhere upto 75g of protein per day, which is way more than most people need. When you consider two things:

protein:energy ratio- This means that our protein requirements are directly proportionate to our total calorie intake. The less calories we eat, the more protein we need, because our body will start to use muscle protein for fuel to compensate for the calorie deficit. The more calories we eat, the less protein we need, because we will not be needing to use muscle protein for fuel as much, and will not be needing to use any dietary protein for fuel either. This is why it is so important to eat enough calories on a lower protein diet.

Protein adaptation - we have an amazing capacity to adapt to different levels of protein intake. The thing is, the amount of protein we consistently get tends to set the threshold for our protein requirements. The more protein we consume, the more protein we end up needing on a day-to-day basis, because our body becomes less conservative in its recycling of proteins and its use of proteins. The less protein we consume, the less we need. It takes time to adapt to different levels of protein intake, to achieve what's called nitrogen balance. This can be anywhere from 4-41 days. So for example, if we take our baseline protein requirement of 0.3g per day, this means that at your weight of 48kg, you would only need 14.4g protein per day as long as your calorie requirements are met, to sustain your weight. In order to gain weight, say you wanted to be 60kg, you would need a baseline of 18g per day, providing you are getting enough calories. The reality is that if you actually consume this baseline requirement and no more, even if you get enough calories, you will go into negative nitrogen balance (you will lose muscle mass etc) temporarily whilst your body adjusts to the lower protein intake. So it is actually advisable to aim for at least 0.6g/kg, (doubling up for safety). For a 48kg female, this would mean consuming 28.8g protein per day, or for gaining weight to 60kg, around 36g protein per day. Then if you really want to be safe and go for the super-safe generalized recommendation of 0.8g/kg, you would require 38.4g protein for maintaining the 48kg weight, or 48g to achieve the 60kg weight. So as you can see, with an allowance of 75g protein for a 3000 calorie diet (and obviously more protein per gram with increasing intake of calories), its virtually impossible to not get enough protein, or exceed your protein requirements, whilst eating 811rv proportions.

The thing you need more of when aiming to gain weight, especially if you are skinny, is definitely more protein, but also more calories. So obviously, the more calories you eat, the more protein you consume by necessity. And of course as far as your friends assertion that you need more concentrated proteins to gain weight, if you wanted to try eating concentrated protein, there is always nuts and seeds, which can easily fit into 811 proportions

OMEGAs
    Fruits provide the easiest to digest source of omega 3. Fruits provide the easiest to digest source of all nutrients, without exception, when they are ripe and edible to humans.
    Of those fruits, the highest sources (and coincidentally, most easy to digest fruits) are the melons. The watermelon is the exception which has very little omega 3. Honeydew, piel de sapo, cantaloupe and galia are all great sources of omega 3.
    There are many other fruits with appreciable omega 3 intakes, but which are not high in and of themselves (they add to our overall food intake to create a cumulatively high omega 3 intake). Use CRON-o-meter to find out this for yourself. Or look on WHfoods or nutritiondata.com. or go to ecologos.org and download jerrys story.
    The next easiest to digest foods high in omega 3 are the tender dark green leafy vegetables. (Such as spinach and romaine lettuce). Again, you can use one of the above tools to work out exactly how much.
    The hardest to digest plant foods, which are high in omega 3, are the nuts and seeds. Walnuts for example, are a good source of omega 3. Of the seeds, flax, chia and hemp are the highest sources. The main concern with eating too many nuts and certain other seeds not mentioned, are that they are invariably high in omega 6. The more omega 6 we consume, the more omega 3 we need. The lower our omega 6 intake, the lower our omega 6 requirements.
    The other factor is about the omega 3:6 ratio. Ideally we would have a 1:1 ratio, however we can thrive on anything upto a 4:1 ratio in favour of omega 6. We can tolerate a 5:1 ratio. Any higher and we get a little excessive. High omega 6 intakes can imbalance our omega 3 levels, increasing our omega 3 requirements. High omega 6 intakes have been associated with problems such as increased inflammation and cancer, although realistically, its probably not going to be causing problems at the levels you are talking about.
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Here are a couple meal plans I quickly threw together for a friend that supply the daily RDAs & guidelines in the previous post. Her calorie requirements are a bit lower than mine so I would just add in a couple extra bananas or dates. The first three fruits can be done in any order but the oranges should be taken with the greens - grapefruit or any citrus works as well. Greens should be for dinner & the nut or any other nuts with or after dinner. I've been playing around with cronometer & these recommendations & its really a lot of fun. Can't wait to give er a go after BI!!

mango, 1 cup
    bananas, 5 cups
    dates, 4
    oranges, 6
    romaine, 2 heads
    spinach, 4.5 cups
    brazil nut, 1

--or--

apples, 10 medium
    banana, 2 medium
    dates, 4
    oranges, 6 (you can juice these as well & have with your greens)
    romaine, 2 heads
    spinach, 4.5 cups
    brazil nut, 1
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Oh and I saw this in another thread here on MFP. If you live in the states this could help out a bit with cash flow. https://www.angelfoodministries.com/ They have fruit/produce boxes once a month for pretty cheap (they do contain croutons & dressing but you could probably trade with someone else for more fruit!). Far from organic but better than nothing!!
  • rmccully
    Options
    HAS ANYONE EVER ORDERED ANY FOOD FROM DAVID WOLFE'S WEB SITE SUNFOOD.COM

I AM THINKING OF PLACING AN ORDER. HE HAS RAW CASHEWS AND MANY OTHER RAW FOODS.

I LOVE CAHSEWS, HOWEVER HAVE NOT HAD THEM IN A LONG TIME DUE TO THE FACT THAT i HAVE NOT FOUND THEM RAW, WELL NOW I HAVE, YUM
  • rmccully
    Options
    OH AND i GOT THE ORANGE TO JUCIE TODAY WITHOUT BEING CRAZY BITTER. IN TALKING WITH MY aUNT LAST NIGHT, SHE SAID I SHOULD HAVE DRANK IT ANY WAY BECAUSE BITTER DETOXS YOUR BODY. SO NO WONDER I WAS FEELING ICKY WITH WHAT I WAS ABLE TO GET DOWN. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THAT.

BITTER = DETOX
  • rmccully
    Options
    Feeling less hungry definitely happens to some because your able to taking in & absorbing vitamins!! This is why people will eat a huge old McD's meal and be hungry a little while later - they took in calories but there was no nutrition and in that the body is starved. glad your having such a wonderful time!! I'm jealous that you can just eat when your hungry....I have to make sure I pack it in during the day otherwise at night I will get uncontrollable urges & cravings to binge on hummus & pita bread, chips & salsa!! As long as I take in enough fruit carbs I'm always fine.

Naoko - I was thinking a lot about banana island and I like your strategy. Adam (used to be on 30bad) was like the nutrition expert - studied LFRV & was pretty much a genius in that department. Well I've been looking over all of this past posts and I'm trying to consolidate a lot of the info. One thing I don't like about bananas is that the phosphourus & calcium levels aren't ideal without other food intervening to increase the calcium......now when not on BI I think its great because they are cheap, increase your calories & can be balanced out with other foods. But while at BI if there are previous deficiencies or if BI goes for to long there could be issues with calcium.

Ah well I'll just post what I have so far... Maybe it can help answer some questions or worries

So my daily eating is ok if it is not to what is said to be on here, if it is less it is ok. the last two days I have only had breakfast and lunch and I have not been hungry other then that. Trust me if I was hungry I would eat.
  • rmccully
    Options
    oh my gosh you guys I just bought a half a shopping cart full of ripe bananas you should have seen the strange looks I was getting. it was funny.

There is a fresh market by my house that as soon as a banana gets a spot on it they put then in a bin and only charge .19 cents a pound because they are ripe. so I try to go in ounce a week and grab as many as I can. I clear out the bin some times. today a left a very small handful. so I got home I have some on the counter some in the fridge and put some in the freezer (peeled and bagged in groups of four. I have 9 bags it the freezer folk a ton in the fridge and a ton on the counter.

and right now I am drinking 6 wonderful yummy bananas yummmmmmmmm!!

My my freaks out when I do that. put a bunch of bananas in the blender to have at one time. How do I get her passed it so she is ok with it. she keeps telling me that it is not good for me.

She said if Ethan wanted to have that many bananas would you let him and I tell her I sure would, then She didn't have anything to say. lol

I don't know how to explain this raw eating to people but it feels great.
  • kickitlarson
    Options
    Rmc - glad you found a place to give you such a great deal on bananas!! Please don't feel the need to justify yourself to others - I know that is a cut & dry way of putting it but really! People that eat fast food all the time do they need to expalin every detail of their diet to others constantly. NO usually people don't even notice or don't care but as soon as some one is passionate about something, is trying to improve their life, and feeling focused & great, people want to attack! You will show with boundless energy, positivity, persistence, and a glowing smiling face that this is working & is amazing!! Results are what matter anyway. As far as not eating a lot - if you feel good and have energy to get through your day I would say your fine. HOWEVER this should not go on for a long extended time. ...this should just be an adjustment time. Your body is cleaning house, streamlining processes, and readjusting to the good life - give it a chance to do this but then you must implement a sustainable well rounded diet. What a wonderful experience you are having!!!
  • rmccully
    Options
  • rmccully
    Options
    http://thepurebar.com/pure-products/

has anyone had these before?
  • sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    ok so i'm back. I got absorbed in comfort eating at the end of the school year. I packed 20 keyboards, 16 guitars, 12 samba drums plus 25 boxes of various musical stuff as our school building is being knocked down and we are moving into a new one in september.

the caterers served buffet food. did i resist.... no
    did i go out for chinese buffet and eat lots of fried food..... yes
    did i drink a bottle of wine last night ..... ooops yup.

ok I have gone 3 pounds in the WRONG way so am now doing raw again.
    My lovely other half found this website and we are doing the food till evening than having a macrobiotic evening meal.

I am going to yoga for the first time in 10 days in the morning.
    I feel so kacked up with rubbish with doesn't help the fact that I am absolutely exhausted after a manic year and body in end of school year shut down.

Bring on the raw!

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2006/08/sample_raw_food.html
  • UmmBinat
    UmmBinat Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm doing pretty well. I thought I posted a reply more recently but it must have being closed by DD (toddler) before I pressed post. I have not updated my diary in a few days is that a requirement for the contest part? I have being eating mostly raw but forgot what I ate those few days.

Off to read the posts I haven't gone through.
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    Great job with your sis Ummbinat! What a wonderful gift to give! If we all just turn on one person to eating more raw foods then soon enough this world will be full of glowing happy people! My husband said the other day "can't we just be quiet vegans?" NO!!! There are so many people I care for and love deeply that are just slowly killing themselves and in the process are living horrible unrewarding lives. If we can just reach out and help one person then its all worth having others ignore us or try to bring us down because they are fearful or ignorant. Not sure if I shared this yet...A really good friend of mine (SAD meat eater) came to me a couple weeks ago and was asking about colon cleanse & detoxing. He saw stuff at GNC and he was trying to decide which one to get. I explained to him how those products are just short term & really a waste of money...they don't strengthen your system but actually weaken. I told him about banana island & he ended up doing it for 4 days. he lost 4lbs (didn't have much to lose) and now goes more regularly then ever (this was his main issue - he was only going at most once a day & usually much less). He reports feeling great, more energy, & adding more raw foods to his diet!! If I wasn't such a loud mouth he might not have asked for my recommendations and he would have his money stolen for a quick fix instead of a life long permanent change. Yay for NATURE!!!

Good for you. I was laughing at the "can we be quiet vegans", lol. I'm one to talk about it too.
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    We are on the final stretch now!! Less than two weeks to go! How is everyone doing? I'm on day 2.5 at Banana Island and I very well see this going on for at least another week as we have another tree that is ready to go!! I had a bit of mucus today :( thinking maybe I have some unraw nuts or something in the house.

Very excited for you Naoka!! This is definitely your time! I will have to check out his site. I've been thinking about trying to give stuff like that to my husband and see if I can win him over :D

Do we only produce mucus if something isn't raw?
  • UmmBinat
    Options
    http://thepurebar.com/pure-products/

has anyone had these before?

I think I have but they cost a fortune for the amount in my local health food store.4