Confused--how long on cardio?

Options
I'm confused because I've heard conflicting information regarding my cardio training regarding weight-loss. I run on the Cybex machine daily (similar to an elliptical) at my gym...

When I worked with a personal trainer, he told me to make sure to do at least 30 min. daily, but not more than 45 min. and his reason was that it takes about 20 min. to burn off your "fuel" in your body before it will tap into burning off fat, but then to make sure not to exceed 45 min. while running because it will then tap into protein storage from muscles (I think is how he explained it?) He also said to make sure to use programs on the Cybex like hill climb, intervals, or strength training that will change levels and resistance regularly during the session, and that just "running" without that will probably not help with weight loss, but is better for maintenance.

Then I read an article by a certified trainer saying similar things about the intervals vs. just running; however, she said that to truly lose weight, one needs to engage in 60-90 minutes of vigorous exercise daily to really lose weight, so like 60 minutes on the Cybex/elliptical for instance on some kind of interval training.

Long story short, I'm just curious if anyone else has personally worked with trainers and/or has more experience with this and can let me know what they've found out? I personally found out that when I started working out longer (doing the 60 min. vs. the 45 min) I noticed a bit more progress with my weight loss a little more quickly, but I don't want to be tapping into my muscle mass either to lose the weight. I only want my extra fat gone! Haha

Thank you in advance for any tips you have. :)

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious myself...
  • mskimberlee
    mskimberlee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've heard everything that you shared. I would love to hear what others think??? Great question!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    bump..I want to know too...
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Always double check what a trainer says. They make more money by extending your time losing weight!

I agree with the 60-90 minutes. If you carb load, you can store several thousand calories of glycogen in your muscles. This lasts marathon runners about 20 miles and is why you see them drop out late in races. They have little to no fat reserves to draw on and it does not burn as readily as carbs. You also do not need to vary the workout much either, though it does help when you hit a plateau. I have burned the majority of my calories in losing 55lbs doing elliptical at a constant pace and level. The more you can do the better, within reason. Your body will not burn protein unless there is little to no fat to burn unless you are also in starvation mode due to not eating enough calories.

From the wikipedia marathon post:

Runners can store about 8 MJ or 2,000 kcal worth of glycogen in their bodies, enough for about 30 km/18–20 miles of running. Many runners report that running becomes noticeably more difficult at that point.[52] When glycogen runs low, the body must then burn stored fat for energy, which does not burn as readily. When this happens, the runner will experience dramatic fatigue and is said to "hit the wall". The aim of training for the marathon, according to many coaches,[53] is to maximize the limited glycogen available so that the fatigue of the "wall" is not as dramatic. This is in part accomplished by utilizing a higher percentage of energy from burned fat even during the early phase of the race, thus conserving glycogen.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've heard conflicting on both sides as well. I try to switch off between 45 minutes one day and maybe 60 the next. What works for some may not work for others.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    My trainer says no longer then 45 minutes cardio either, I usually dont listen though.
  • keith0373
    Options
    Also remember that any carbs you eat before a workout will go first, so this is either a good time or bad time to eat them, depending on your goals and needs.

I like the before breakfast workout for burning fat and the after dinner walk for eating up the carbs I had for dinner.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Also remember that any carbs you eat before a workout will go first, so this is either a good time or bad time to eat them, depending on your goals and needs.

I like the before breakfast workout for burning fat and the after dinner walk for eating up the carbs I had for dinner.

Good to know..Thanks:smile:
  • keith0373
    Options
    Just remember:

1. alcohol 7 cal per gram
    2. Carbs 4 cal per gram.
    3. Fat 9 cal per gram
    4. Protein 4 cal per gram

This is the order that your body will burn food. Notice that it takes more than twice as much work to burn a gram of fat than a gram of carbs or protein.
  • skippybonbon
    skippybonbon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone! I've been so confused with all this weight loss stuff! Starvation mode vs. not, how many calories to really eat vs. not, etc. It's so confusing! Thank you for all your help. :)