In need of low fat/salt salad dressings/dips!

Options
2»

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Bolthouse Farms others have suggested, but it's not low sodium. I'm trying to watch my sodium too.

I'm gonna try some of the tasty homemade suggestions some offered, glad you asked this question!
  • aj7x
    aj7x Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a great dip and I also use it as a salad dressing! Combine about two tbsps of hummus, squeeze 1/4 of a lemon, and add about 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. It's delicious!
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Unlike most people, I can handle balsamic vinegar by itself. My mom likes to use an apple cider or rice vinegar with some garlic and lemon juice. Rice Vinegar is often sweet enough by itself. Also the balsamic vinegars get sweeter as they get more expensive, up to the real stuff which is way too expensive to put on a salad.

Some of the low fat Ken's dressings are not bad but I really only use vinegar base dressings. Creamy dressings, my guess is going with a Greek yogurt base is your best bet to reduce the fat.
  • MrsBigDog
    MrsBigDog Posts: 7
    Options
    Hummus is great for dipping vegetables
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    olive oil, basalmic, garlic and dijon mustard! It is awesome!
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    LIght Ranch Dressing

4-8 ozs reduced fat buttermilk (1.5%)
    5 oz plain non-fat Greek yogurt
    ½ tsp onion powder
    ½ tsp dried chives
    ½ tsp dried dill
    ½ tsp dried parsley flakes
    Salt/pepper to taste
    A few drops of worcestershire sauce

Stir together all ingredients except buttermilk. Gradually add buttermilk until you have reached the desired consistency. For me, that is 4 ozs.

Since I don't use this every day, I freeze it in an ice cube tray. One serving is 3 cubes. 58 cals.

Sounds really good! How long does it keep in the fridge?