It's just not worth it to eat out

Options
I have been eating at home since we got back into our house (after a month of living in a hotel!)
Went to Jersey Mike's today and got a turkey sub, no mayo, no oil, no cheese.
I thought that was a good choice.
Came home to log it only to find out that it was STILL 500 calories!

It's really irritating.

Replies

• bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I have been eating at home since we got back into our house (after a month of living in a hotel!)
    Went to Jersey Mike's today and got a turkey sub, no mayo, no oil, no cheese.
    I thought that was a good choice.
    Came home to log it only to find out that it was STILL 500 calories!

It's really irritating.

I agree!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I got a roasted chicken sub WITHOUT CHEESE at Subway. Nonfat dressing and lots of veggies. 660 calories! Luckily, I had worked out really long that day, so I wasn't over, but that's a lot for one sub.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Though it was a good choice compared with the rest of the menu... :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its the bread, some shops like Jimmy Johns offer subs wrapped in lettuce instead of bread
  • dcturcotte
    dcturcotte Posts: 59
    Options
    I eat out about once a month guilt free, scratches that itch and then i go back to eating in house and healthy for a month which i also enjoy.
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I USE TO LOVE TO GO TO TASTE SUBS WHEN I LIVED IN EDISON. I THINK I PACKED ON 1/2 MY WEIGHT THERE. LOL. I ONLY EAT OUT WHEN THEY POST NUTRICIAN ONLINE SO I CAN FIGURE IT OUT BEFORE I GO. IF THEY DONT POST IT I DONT EAT IT.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    are you guys getting white break or wheat? you have to understand, if its fulfilling and a little high in calories then that dont mean its bad for you.....it depends on the bread though.....anywho.....i dont mind the calories on something fulfilling....but there are ways to cut it down to a good 300 cal....
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are so right! I am a truckdriver, and after the first time I logged a 6 inch Subway turkey, I said forget that. Then there's Bob Evans Fit and Trim Menu. Sure, low calorie items, many, then take a look at the sodium! NOPE! If I plan ahead really well, and keep the rest of the day low, I will do the Potato Crusted Flounder, but only if I prepare!
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was invited out to the theatre, and beforehand we went for dinner. Even though I had worked out, I didn't want to eat because of the calorie value of the menu. I had a side salad as my main meal and got lots of dirty looks from my family. They made quite a scene at the fact I didn't want anything from the menu, preferring to eat later at home. It made me feel bad and I didn't enjoy feeling bad for being healthy!!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    Plan ahead if you can- most resturants have nutrition information on their websites. I have went as far as to jot down the food and calories in a small notebook that I carry in my purse. I did this also because I have to have gluten free food and it just makes ordering easier especially when I don't always know where we are going to end up eating when we go out.
  • dcturcotte
    dcturcotte Posts: 59
    Options
    I know what you mean. I was invited out to the theatre, and beforehand we went for dinner. Even though I had worked out, I didn't want to eat because of the calorie value of the menu. I had a side salad as my main meal and got lots of dirty looks from my family. They made quite a scene at the fact I didn't want anything from the menu, preferring to eat later at home. It made me feel bad and I didn't enjoy feeling bad for being healthy!!

thats a bit of a **** move on their it's not like you didn't eat anything at all (which would have been a **** move on your part haha).

did you explain to them you just want to be healthy and happy
  • BBrown620
    BBrown620 Posts: 6
    Options
    Calories are not just what we should be watching. How high are the carbs in what you get when you eat out? How much saturated fat? High in Sodium - which can cause water retention - is bad and prevents weight loss. Also, what type of milk do you drink?
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat out often. Sometimes out of necessity, and sometimes with family and friends. My tricks for staying on budget when I eat out are to: get salad whenever possible; always order vegetables on the side as plain as possible (steamed, raw) - combine what you really want to eat with the vegetables, and take the rest of the food home or give it to somebody else; never get bread; assume the food has an additional 100 calories. (They always put more salt, fat, and butter in your food than you would ever do at home).

I lost about 50 lbs a few years ago eating three meals a day out of the house (I had a hectic work schedule 9 -1030 with an hr long commute each way). Sadly, I gained it all back, but that was because I stopped following my own rules. I know food from home is better, it can just be so hard sometimes.
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    Hmmm... I get the 6" turkey sub @ Subway without cheese, but with all the veggies and just honey mustard and it clocks in @ 280 calories. Not too shabby IMHO :)
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It was a posh place but just looking at the menu, everything was swimming in butter and cream and oil. I was adament I would eat later (and I did) but the side salad as a main meal was fine for the time being. But they even made a fuss to the waiter "Oh she's only having this tiny.. ... oh she's on a diet... blah"
    I ate later in the evening, but a healthy meal which I prepared myself. The response was "treat yourself, don't be pathetic" etc, but a treat is what it is, A TREAT. If I "treated" myself as much as they do, I'd be the same size as them (they're overweight :P )

Gosh I sound like a bit of a b**ch. I am a bit :P I just want to be healthy! And eating a load of creamy, buttery meals out, is what got me into my mess in the first place!!!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options

My co-workers are like that. They think it is awful if I only order salad or not at all. They have even went as far as to change my order to something that would have blown tmy calories the rest of my week. I left it sitting for three days and finally a janitor, I assume threw it away. There are just people out there who can't seem to get it!!!
  • Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options
    Hmm i found that the biggest impact on my diet was cutting 90 % of my usual daily intake of bread.... nowdays, and that's not every day... i eventually eat 1-2 slices of 7-grain bread, and i do with scrambled eggs or something of that sort. And of course cutting out the sweets, well 99 % of it, and to be honest, i don't really miss any of it.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    The Subway Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki 6 inch on wheat bread is only 380 calories and very low fat. That's obviously no dressing :)
  • janet67
    janet67 Posts: 38
    Options
    When we eat out, my husband and I each get a salad (dressing on the side. . .I dip into the bowl and eat very little dressing) We split an entre. . .usually fish or chicken. I've stopped eating baked potatoes out even though they are one of my favorites. I have found most restaurant chains have menu and nutritional info. The food look up on MFP also has quite a few restaurant items. I try to plan what I'm going to eat before hand and I never go out when I'm "starving" if I can help it. That way, I can pass up the bread. I've even found relatively low cal/carb items at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We Texans can't live without Mexican food once or twice a month, so if anyone has any low cal recipes for "Mexican" food. . .please share!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the problem with eating out is the portions. A 6" sub is HUGE but we've been conditioned to think it's a small portion because they also sell the 12" (which is beyond huge).