Over exercising/under eating?

Tell me YOUR story!!! Did you overcome this?

I need to increase my calories...I think. How much? And what kind of food?

I am putting this here (instead of the food forum) looking for people who also exercise a lot and have experienced these things, not just read a lot about it.

I hit a plateau for a couple months, but recently made a few changes and *may* be losing again. I only started logging here in the last couple weeks. I tried to lower my sugars by cutting out a fruit serving per day, but I was having a hard time with performance. I'm doing better to have 2.5 servings of fuit a day. Before, I was eating 1500-2000 cals a day. I'm aiming for 2200 now. Some days I make it, some days I don't. I also like to live, so I had lots of peanut MM's yesterday. I try for at least 100 grams of protein each day.

Using ScoobyWorkshop, my BMR is 1523, and my TDEE is 2893. 20% reduction is 2315. The Katch-Mcadrle BMR is 1559 (bod pod body fat tested).

My hair started falling out a couple weeks ago.

I'm now in amenorrhea. I'm at 32.6% BF, so not underweight.

Here is my exercise routine. I sometimes do more, but usually those are at a less intense level (for example, a yoga-Pilates combination class, or a hike). I'm like clock-work at the gym with these things. This is every week since January.

Monday- swim 3100-3300 yards (1-1.25 hours)

Tuesday - weight training, at least one hour with supersets
run 45-60 minutes (total is usually a little over two hours)

Wednesday - swim like Monday
Spin class, 14-16 miles, one hour. OR 2 hours of Zumba (sometimes I skip both of these and only swim on Wed, total is 1.25-3.5 hours)

Thursday - weight training, like Tues
Run 45-60 minutes
Swim, like Monday (total exercise is about 3.5 hours on Thursday)

Friday - spin class, like on Wed (just one hour)

Saturday - weights and running like Tuesday
Spin class like Tuesday (total is 2.5-3.5 hours)

Sunday - off, or I run if I didn't run on Saturday

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Now I'm worried about you. Have you had your thyroid tested?
  • ducky715
    ducky715 Posts: 38
    Please, whatever you do, go to a doctor and get checked out for that condition. I'd focus on that first and then proceed with your exercising after.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Yes, I'm clear with my doctor. My thyroid is fine.
  • KathleenKP
    Now I'm worried about you. Have you had your thyroid tested?

Thanks, Varda. :)

I'm feeling in so much better condition than I really ever have been. But I shouldn't be plateauing. I'm not too worried about the amenorrhea, only that combined with the hair loss and weight loss plateau, it points to stress on my body. I'm pretty sure I'm under eating, but not sure exactly where to go to fix it.
  • KathleenKP
    I forgot to say...I use a digital scale for everything I can. I have a problem with overestimating how much I eat (so sometimes eat less than I thought it was.)

Eating too much has always been my main weight issue, so it's hard for me to think of eating more when I don't feel like it.
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    It's really not necessary to do that much exercise- no wonder your period has gone AWOL. Can you cut it in half? 45 mins to one hour per day, 4-5 days a week?
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    I have to incorporate 3 glasses of EAS Protein shake mix (with water or milk) each day per doctor's orders, and I have a hard time reaching calories each day. I just don't feel hungry, and I worry about eating too much. I feel your pain. I also feel better than I have probably EVER in my life, but I am still losing. I hope you find your solution. Maybe you're doing too much? Perhaps leave weekends for rest days? We are usually doing family stuff or yard work on weekends as they are my hubby's days off of work, so I skip the routine Saturday and Sunday.

My current schedule for exercise:

M/W/F: 9:30-10:30am gym (variety), 10:30-Noon Swimming

T/TH: 9:30-11am Swimming, 11am-Noon gym (variety)

Total weekly burn: Between 8000 and 9000 calories
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    First of all, do you plan on working out like that for the REST OF YOUR LIFE??? And if not, then there's really no point in doing it just to lose weight.

Secondly, hair loss can be caused by not enough fat in your diet. Use olive or canola oil for cooking or salad dressings, eat nuts, avocado, etc. Good fats are necessary for absorption of some vitamins.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Add healthy fats and, if you still need something else, cut back on exercise to the regular recommendation of 30-45 minutes 4-5 times per week. For healthy fats, think olive oils, nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocado, organic cheese (not excessive amounts, organic doesn't mean there's no saturated fat), etc.! Dried fruits and whole grains can also be a great source or added nutrients and calories. Make sure you're not eating less than 80% of your TDEE. Good luck!
  • KathleenKP
    First of all, do you plan on working out like that for the REST OF YOUR LIFE??? And if not, then there's really no point in doing it just to lose weight.

Secondly, hair loss can be caused by not enough fat in your diet. Use olive or canola oil for cooking or salad dressings, eat nuts, avocado, etc. Good fats are necessary for absorption of some vitamins.

No, not quite to this extent for the rest of my life. I am in training for a triathlon. However, I wanted to continue losing weight during thos training time. But, I will always do some type of exercise most days of the week, and I do better with 1-2 hours each day. It's play time for me.

That's good to know on the fats and hair loss. I have increased my nuts intake in order to get in more calories, and I have a pile of avocadoes on the counter (though I'm thinking of eating 1/4ish each day). I probably need a little more canola or olive oil, though.
  • KathleenKP
    I have to incorporate 3 glasses of EAS Protein shake mix (with water or milk) each day per doctor's orders, and I have a hard time reaching calories each day. I just don't feel hungry, and I worry about eating too much. I feel your pain. I also feel better than I have probably EVER in my life, but I am still losing. I hope you find your solution. Maybe you're doing too much? Perhaps leave weekends for rest days? We are usually doing family stuff or yard work on weekends as they are my hubby's days off of work, so I skip the routine Saturday and Sunday.

My current schedule for exercise:

M/W/F: 9:30-10:30am gym (variety), 10:30-Noon Swimming

T/TH: 9:30-11am Swimming, 11am-Noon gym (variety)

Total weekly burn: Between 8000 and 9000 calories

Maybe I'm doing too much??? You sound like me when I see your list! :)<3

I'm going to pick up a protein powder tonight or tomorrow. My trainer told me today which one to get.