Hula Hoop!

Options
Hi all.... I bought a hula hoop and I'm having a blast with it! (I heard it gets rid of the little "spare tire" in the mid-section). I am wondering if anyone knows approximate calories burned while doing this?

Replies

• Jooliebean
    Jooliebean Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age and size. :) I burn about 125 calories in 20 mins of hoop practice. But...I am quite large, and a beginner. So, most of that burn is from bending over to pick the hoop up off the ground. LOL There are free calorie burn calculators online...just google! :)
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how to use it lol
  • Lauri524
    Lauri524 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOL, too funny! I guess bending over to pick it up is not a bad thing...always good for the waist! Actually, I've become quite better at it over the last few days and I can really feel my heart pounding so I know there is some kind of aerobic going on. I think I need to invest in a Polar heart monitor in order to get the true calorie burn. In the meantime, I'm going to google.it. Thanks for the replies!
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I am asking for a hoop for mother's day. Where did you get yours? Online?
  • aperradise
    aperradise Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just bought an exercise (weighted) hula hoop last night. I used it for 30 mins tonight while wearing my heart monitor and burned 210 calories!!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you're using it as well as the duration of time. I have a weighted hula hoop and when my heart-rate monitor worked (lol), it would generally say that I burn 10 calories a minute when I'm doing moderate/intense aerobics. (which for me is keeping the heart-rate above 145, between 145 and 160, with some higher spikes. So I can burn about 600 calories in an hour doing most cardio exercises. When I hula hoop I listen to music while I move around, walk a little bit and really get into it almost like I'm dancing, in an effort to keep the heart rate up. If I just stand in one place and do it, it's not a very intense workout for me.

I definitely recommend getting a heart-rate monitor, it helped me SO much before. Unfortunately, my Polar F4 pooped out, so I'm gonna have to invest in another one. *sigh*
  • ibshaun
    ibshaun Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a blast! I just checked another fitness site (sparkpeople) and it's included in their exercise tracker. Maybe it will be added here soon! I know those are just general but it gives you an idea... the HRM is the best way to know.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    MFP has it in the fitness database too, check it out.
  • Lauri524
    Lauri524 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine is just the "Wave Hoop" from Walmart. It cost only $8. It's filled with water so it's heavier than your conventional toy hula hoop. I'm so used to it now that I want a more weighted one. I'm currently looking for a deal on one and in the meantime, my husband is going to duct tape the one I have all around until it's the weight that I want. I just love doing this around the house to burn additional calories! I do it while I'm watching T.V. too! Supplemama, I will check out the database now.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    When I do an exercise that's not in the MFP database, I usually just enter it as "aerobics general," or "aerobics low impact"
  • Jooliebean
    Jooliebean Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bought my hoop online, through "ETSY". A handmade hoop, by Hoop Mamas. Totally beautiful, and a decent price. :)