I'm not losing lately, what should I do?

Options
Good evening,

I have lost 25 pounds in the past 9 months using the app on my phone. I am not losing weight, I have been trying to stay within 1200 calories a day. I've changed the setting to lose 1 pound a week and the calorie count has now gone to 1490 from 1200. Does that sound right? I don't exercise much, mostly walking, I teach in the day and waitress 3 nights a week, so I am usually exhausted, but I do walk daily. Any suggestions?

Thanks ~ denise

Replies

• doublen675
    doublen675 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This exact same thing happened to me and I was stuck at the same weight for about 3 months of consistent diet AND exercise. I was killing myself! I discovered the Paleo diet and decided to try it. Since starting that I have lost another 22 lbs in 3 months. But really, I think all that needed to happen is for me to eliminate the gluten, dairy and refined sugars out of my diet.
  • Onmyway39
    Onmyway39 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello what are you eating? And what times. Believe it or not times have a lot to do with it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The calories sound about right.

When I get stuck, I try mixing things up-- eating different things, eating at different times, drinking more water, doing 10 minutes of stretching or yoga-- ANYTHING that's different than what I'm doing now.

I can't say it always instantly succeeds, but it does get me out of my rut and helps me change my focus away from the scale and back to being healthy.
  • auntiededee
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,

I eat pretty good, and try not to go over the 1200 calories daily, I do eat late, I work 2 jobs and am usually starving by the time I get home. Maybe I need to bring more food with me to work?
  • auntiededee
    Options
    I love your photo, the Paleo diet doesn't appeal to me, but thanks for the suggestion...
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat more, and add in exercise 3-4 times a week. For sure add in some strength training.
  • auntiededee
    Options
    I'm not looking for instant success, I do need to change things up, but the pool will be opening soon and I will be eating more fruits and veggies now that there in season and cheaper. I just feel stuck and I live alone so I have no assistance or accountability, that's why I decided to join the forum...

Thanks for the advice...
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Hello what are you eating? And what times. Believe it or not times have a lot to do with it.
    i gotta disagree completely with the times thing
  • baozytools12
    Options
    Eat more and lift heavy! your body is accustomed to 'walking' so the amount of calories that you burn whilst walking is most likely insignificant. Go for a brisk jog, 10, 15, 20, 25 minutes or whatever. You'll expend more energy doing this than walking. And most importantly some strength training, even if you start out once or twice a week, theres a myriad of benefits that comes with strength training, and finally, eat more, you are not eating enough
  • sarabeth9114
    Options
    Facing the same problem right now! I have added in extra workouts (when i have time). I have read that eventually your body will have to give in and start losing again. Good luck just stick with it!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    i gotta disagree completely with the times thing

That's been completely debunked. It doesn't matter when you eat.

OP, if you want, check this link out. It's a simple explanation about TDEE and such.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I used to do the 1200 too. Lost initially, then plateaud big time. I've since slowly (in 100 cal. bits over time) raised my calories to 1700 (My TDEE -20% is actually 1850) I've since started losing again. Its a slow process, but if I'm making progress, I can be patient.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    IF you do any sort of exercise, add those calories to your 1,200 or 1,400. Then eat the calories you've earned. Keeps the metabolism stoked.

If you exercise and eat just the 1,400 calories, you are not eating enough to fuel your body for the energy the excerising needs. Your body will hold onto everything you eat and drink in an effort to prepare for survival.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat more, and add in exercise 3-4 times a week. For sure add in some strength training.

I agree!!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

I have lost 25 pounds in the past 9 months using the app on my phone. I am not losing weight, I have been trying to stay within 1200 calories a day. I've changed the setting to lose 1 pound a week and the calorie count has now gone to 1490 from 1200. Does that sound right? I don't exercise much, mostly walking, I teach in the day and waitress 3 nights a week, so I am usually exhausted, but I do walk daily. Any suggestions?

Thanks ~ denise

Short answer.. yes the calorie adjustment sounds right. Although I set my activity to "very active" MFP initially gave me a 1200 calorie goal as well. I did the 1200 calorie (plus exercise calories) thing for a bit but it just didn't work for me and I felt exhausted and sick with dizzy spells and migraines! I increased my calories and haven't looked back since :) And I am STILL losing! Don't be afraid, I went from 1200 calories in Jan to over 1700 now and I've continued to lose weight and "shrink". If you are exhausted then fueling your body with some more food might be your answer to getting your energy levels up AND losing weight again :) Congrats on the 25 lbs lost so far! Remember, it's not a race! :D
  • KaelaHoff
    KaelaHoff Posts: 2
    Options
    My stepmom actually had the same issue. She read in an article that when this happens it's called a plateau. This means that your body is starting to get used to not consuming as many calories and it is adjusting itself. All you need to do is maybe once a month (or whenever you find losing weight to be getting harder) have a big, unaccounted for meal! this will throw your body off and make it think that it needs to start burning more. Of course you don't want to do this to often, I hope this helps! :)
  • ShastaMarieT
    Options
    I am not an expert on this particular matter, but I have heard that foods that contain Wheat, Barley, or Rye (Gluten in other words) can stall someone trying to lose weight, even though they were losing weight before. I am not saying to go on a Gluten Free lifestyle change or anything, but maybe if you looked into it, some things may pop up that are helpful. Believe me, I tried the gluten free lifestyle change, it was hard (and gross or tasteless at times) but I knew I was doing my body a favor. Gluten can really do a lot of harm, or losing weight stalling. Hope this helped a little!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

times have nothing to do with it, unless you are someone who tends to binge if you eat at night, or overeat at lunch if you skip breakfast. as long as you are within your calorie goal for the day, doesn't matter when you eat.

mmm love my late night snack.
  • auntiededee
    Options
    Thank you Everyone for the replies, I will take all the suggestions into consideration, eat more calories and do my best to fit some weights into my life...It's nice being able to ask for help and actually get it, be blessed!